ChevelleForum.net

Go Back   Chevrolet Chevelle Forums > Chevrolet Chevelle Car Talk > Chevelle General Talk
Register FAQ Chevelle Chat Room Community Calendar

Old 07-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Bowtie Member

Default DART Motor help for my Chevelle

So here is the continuing saga on my 72 Chevelle.

The representative/salesman (Ric) that we have been dealing with at DART told us to bring the Chevelle up to them today so that they, the guys that build the motors, could hear the "noise" that I have been hearing. So we had the car trailed up to a lot near DART.

Now the key here was to try to time the "noise" in the car with Ric being able to come out and hear it. So we unloaded the car from the trailer and my brother and I proceeded to drive the car and warm it up so that the "noise" would start. Now, I really believe that my brother didn't believe that the "noise" was really as bad as I made it out to be, because in the few times he has driven it, it never happened. So we set out and did a square mile drive around where the DART shop was and of course nothing was happening. I continued to drive, this time making my square, 2 square miles instead of the one.

Now David had stayed behind and drove our van over to DART to wait for us. He wanted to go inside and get Ric as soon as we let him know that the "noise" was happening and we were on our way. So David is now sitting at DART and texts us to find out what is happening, it has been about 20 minutes and he hasn't heard from us.

We are about 2 miles from DART, in the Chevelle, when we start to hear this faint sound, it almost sounded like someone tapping with a rubber mallet. I told my brother "it's gonna start", meaning the "sound". We were about 1/2 mile from DART when it started, I turned to my brother and saw his wide eyes and the look on his face when he heard the "noise". I asked him "what do you want me to do"? He said pull over and let it sit and cool down, so I did. He said it sounded like lifter noise, but he could not figure out why. The temperature was running about 170 degrees which was OK, but the oil pressure was really low, like it had been before. When in gear it was running about 8lbs, when you put it into park it went up to about 15lbs maybe 20lbs.

I let David know what was happening, and told him to get Ric so he could hear the car, then headed off to DART. Of course when we start the car it does not make the "noise". We make it to DART and still no "noise", so we drive the car around the side streets near DART and still had no "noise", so we just decided to go back to DART and if nothing else, talk to them.

Once we got to DART it took a few minutes for David and Ric to come out. Ric suggested that we pull the car to the back and let it sit there and idle. The builders came out and the car was still not making the "noise" but they were concerned about the low oil pressure and were checking a bunch of things, when the "noise" started. YEAH !!! I was not imagining things. They only let the car run for a few minutes before they turned it off.

The consensus at this point is that the oil pressure was way too low and we needed to figure out why. They stood there asking questions about what was on the motor and still scratching their head. It still kept coming back to an oil pressure problem.

The solution:
Well the motor builders first suggested that we take the car home, take the oil filter off and bring it back to them so that they could check it out. After finding out that we have put this motor together with the short block assembly, heads, lifters, and manifold all coming from DART. They told us to pull the motor, and bring it to them. They wanted from the carb to the oil pan, the only thing that they didn't want was the water pump.

They are going to take the motor apart and see what is going on. When they put it back together, they are going to put it on the dyno to make sure that everything is good.

So we made arrangements to have the motor pulled today, and it will be dropped off at DART tomorrow morning at 9am. WOW ! If anyone has ever delt with DART, you know that they build motors and ship them out. For them to do this proves to me that they are there for the little guy. They seemed genuinely concerned about our problem, and told us we should have the motor back within the week. We will keep you posted.

For the audio geek try: www.audiokarma.org

Old 07-28-2010, 08:36 PM

The way you describe it Nancy, it almost sounds like it could be a bearing or something else in the bottom end.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Administrator Bowtie Member

The folks at dart think we got a faulty melling oil pump ( it was bought from jegs )

The motor should have had about 100 lbs oil pressure at its initial start up and it only had 70. It never goes over 40 lbs now and it should be up near 70.

Dart is hopeful there is no internal damage but they are going to tear the motor down and replace anything if there is damage, then install a new oil pump and run it up on the dyno. Damage or not, when we get it back it should run like a bat outta hell. :0

Dave
Old 07-29-2010, 12:13 AM

Wow, glad to here they are going out of there way to help you out. slso getting it back in a week and you could be back on the road really soon. Keep us posted what they find out.
Ray
Old 07-29-2010, 06:39 AM

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the motor ,hope they get it resolved. Will you still be able to make Northern Ohio?

John
Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Bowtie Member

The northern Ohio show was a large part of the conversation at DART. The guys assured us that we will make the show. I am planning on being there, even if the car is not ready. I want to go !!! Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:33 PM

Good luck, sounds like they're really taking care of you right.

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73
My Chevelle
Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Bowtie Member

Promises sometimes are broken. I hope this one isn't.