PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Rare Carolina Blue Malibu Sport Project "Tarheel Mobile"

CarolinaSpeCAp
06-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Whoohoo!! Almost finished! Well as far as I am willing to go with this one anyways...some rebuild trailer queens, I drive my cars, that's just how I roll...And YES this one is rare as it was ordered by the Chapel Hill Chevrolet dealership (home of THE Tarheels if you are not from NC, or this Earth..haha!) and bought by the original owners off the showroom floor...we are driving it over to Durham to take pics & have a reunion with them this very weekend. Hinshaw's finishing the details up now, (I've never seen a plate stamped with just a lone "C" to indicate a top color???) We put it back as a driver for my boy & since they haven't made another one like it since 1971 & it's paid for Ima just hang onto it since there's room in the shop now. I'm moving onto the next project this Fall: a 1972 Chevelle Concours StationWagon one of 6560+- made....with the 3rd row rumble seat & luggage rack....that's gonna be a mammoth right there! LOL By the time I burn out my Son we should have a pretty decent collection of Chevelle's and that's my goal.... Happy Labor Day Ya'll!

1972convss454
06-23-2010, 10:21 AM
I say the "C" denotes the top color. "Blue"

PP46
08-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Congrats on the find and its condition! Looks like it's coming along great and deciding to bring it back to original color is a good idea, IMO.

Not all plants used a dash character when special paint was ordered, 1971 Arlington happen to be one that just the area blank. Some used a dash character and some even used the DuPont mixing formula such as 926-98371 on the tag. Where a vinyl top (or convertible top color) was appropriate, the letter for that color would be used in lieu of being completely blank, such as your C only, or on plants that used the dash character it'd read - C.

The "Carolina Blue" wasn't unique to 71 & 72 as I've seen it on 69 & 70 Chevelles as well. ;)