PDA

View Full Version : Progress interior

shadowgray396
06-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Decided to start a tread to keep everyone updated as I put the interior back in the 70 Chevelle. Here's todays progress.

zombie1969
06-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Does that stuff keep the heat out?Looks like it fits well.

shadowgray396
06-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Does that stuff keep the heat out?Looks like it fits well.

Yes, up to 400 degrees, plus the carpet also has jute on the back of it. .

Hank70SS
06-13-2010, 06:29 AM
As Rain Man would say, It's very glittery. Dynamat? Don't forget to keep this thread going with more pics.

shadowgray396
06-13-2010, 08:19 AM
It's rated like Dynamat, but don't need the heat gun that you need when you put Dynamat in. It's new from Eastwood cost about half the price. Similar to Rammat. I plan to keep this thread updated.
Ray

grumpy
06-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Never heard of this brand. Wish I would have before buying dynamat. Least I got the stuff for nearly 1/2 retail :)

andy
06-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Very nice. That's quite a restoration you have going. Just went through some of the pics.
You'll have a great car when you're done.

RBeckman
06-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Ray, I'm getting ready to put it in mine...where did you get this from?

Ms Grumpy
06-13-2010, 07:57 PM
I will tell you we had the dynamat put on the floor, behind the door panels, and on the ceiling. When I drove the car last weekend the temps were in the high 80's with high humidity. And it made a big difference inside the car.

shadowgray396
06-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Ray, I'm getting ready to put it in mine...where did you get this from?

Eastwood sells it now. It's their brand. in fact in picture two it say eastwood on top of the foil.

http://www.eastwood.com/interior-repair/sound-deadening/eastwood-thermocoustic-material.html

shadowgray396
06-14-2010, 11:07 PM
I said I would keep you updated as I moved along. Got the main wiring harness back from being redone and started on the dash and heater assembly. Been working late on it so my time on here has been on late at night. Nice part about the wiring harness they marked where all the wires go. Also just purchased an original AM/FM radio tonight to put in the dash.
Ray

6-17-10

Painted all the lower parts tonight, ash tray, steering colum. Installed the glove box door for now. May try to get it to fit better. Not bad, but could be better.

Hank70SS
06-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Looking good Ray. That wiring harness sure is a nightmare to look at isn't it.

Make sure you put some weather stripping around the vent housings before you slide them into the ducts. Just about impossible to get it in after the dash is installed. I forgot to but had to drop my dash again to get the temp gauge working so I did it then.

Are you going to black out the 4 small pods? I used SEM landau black on mine, perfect match, you can't tell I sprayed it.

shadowgray396
06-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Are you going to black out the 4 small pods?

I plan to black them out. Thats tonights project and start working on the gauges and the vent housings. I got the caulking strips from 3m to put around the vents. I got a can of the SEM landau black also. I agree it matches very well.
Ray

Hank70SS
06-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Are you going to black out the 4 small pods?

I plan to black them out. Thats tonights project and start working on the gauges and the vent housings. I got the caulking strips from 3m to put around the vents. I got a can of the SEM landau black also. I agree it matches very well.
Ray

Car is coming along nicely Ray, going to be awesome when you're done.

shadowgray396
06-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Continue to work on the dash. Got most of the modification done that I needed to get the heater controls and the dash plate all looking correct. Wating for my gauges to get back from being checked out and calibrated. Also been waiting for the new clock before I put them in. Still need to paint the center small circles black like the original had. Still trying to figure out how to make the glove box fit better. Thinking about making a jig to bend the glove box door so it will match the new dash bezel. I have a old door to play with. Wish me luck it will work.

Hank70SS
06-25-2010, 06:53 AM
Looking good, if you figure out what to do with the glove box let me know.

rick
06-25-2010, 07:45 PM
What is the problem with the glove box door? Are both the dash & door repros' or is one an original? I have an extra original if it might help you out.

shadowgray396
06-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Glove box doors are original. I did a switch tonight with the other one and it fit much better. The issue was the center of the glove box door was flush in the center and the edges stuck out almost 3/8 of an inch on each side. Looked bad. The door I put on tonight seem to fit the contour of the dash bezel much better. The drives side of the door fits flush and the passangers side is only about a 1/8 of an inch out now. Much better then before.

shadowgray396
07-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Finally after a delay of 3 weeks I got the a clock today and a replacement original tach. Now I can get my instrument cluster finished and get the dash in, I hope. Going over to another friends tomorrow to get the bracket I need for the radio and the wiring harness. The seats go into the upholstery shop in a week and the car is going to my friends shop to finish the mechanical stuff up. He has a lift I can use to hook up the clutch linkage and ebrake cables, drive line, and gas tank.

andy
07-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Looks good. Keep the updates going, it's fun to watch.

shadowgray396
07-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Well the tach I just purchased was a non working tach. A friend was able to repair the original one I had so the gauges are done and odometer is set to 0. Managed to get a few things done even with the car show this weekend. Here's where I'm at. I can install the circuit board and it should be ready to go into the car.

Ray

grumpy
07-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Sorry to hear about the tach. Did you get it from that fellow on ebay ? Thats where we got ours.

I have said it before but here goes again, your car is going to be beautiful when done.

Dave

Hank70SS
07-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Dash looks great Ray. I see you got the 4 small pods covered and the letters exposed.

shadowgray396
07-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Sorry to hear about the tach. Did you get it from that fellow on ebay ? Thats where we got ours.

I have said it before but here goes again, your car is going to be beautiful when done.

Dave

Did not get the tach off ebay, but from another site. I did talk to the guy yesterday and he has agreed to give me my money back. I appreciate that very much from him. Just another delay for the project. My gauges had been gone for 4 weeks while I looked for a tach, but we are moving ahead again.

grumpy
07-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Glad to hear you got some resolve.

shadowgray396
08-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Talk to the guy who I got the tach from yesterday. Claims he never got it back. Should have put a tracking number on it. My wife sent it back through regular mail. So it looks like I'm out the money. On a better note from a lousy weekend, I did get to work on the car today for about 7 hours and got a lot of things sorted out and plan to put the dash back in tomorrow night (Monday). Car is leaving wednesday over to a friends house to help me button up the mechanic part of it and it should be running when I bring it back home. Will be nice to hear the motor come back to life.
Ray

shadowgray396
08-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Another update. I must be making progress because 3 of the 4 totes I had in the garage are now empty. Been able to work on the car the last 2 evenings. Decided to keep the car a few more days to get more things done on it. The only tote that has something in it is for the door windows. That means the parts that are in the house will be coming out to the car. Expect my car cover to be here tomorrow and finally hope to put the dash in also. Got a set of wheel dollies, boy does that make it nice to move the car around and get under it. Also can anyone tell me what screws were used in the defroster vent up by the windshield. Screw or hex head? They may not show with the dash pad on.

Ray

Hank70SS
08-11-2010, 08:04 AM
You're making good progress Ray, can't wait to see some pics with the interior in.

The screws are black phillip head screws, look like they have a washer attached. The screws that hold the bottom of the a-pillar trim are the same style only chrome. I think the ones that hold rubber u-shaped jam seal are pretty close too. You can't see them with the dash pad on.

shadowgray396
08-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks Hank
Ray

andy
08-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Looking great. Looking forward to seeing the final product

Highway Star
08-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Keep it up, looking great!!!

flash
08-11-2010, 10:06 PM
When do we take a test drive ?

shadowgray396
08-11-2010, 11:44 PM
When do we take a test drive ?

Pushing for Sept 18th car show at the Beach. Here's tonights progress

grumpy
08-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Looking awesome. Cannot wait to see the completed project.

smokenjoep01
08-12-2010, 09:40 AM
First class job. Very sweet. How long have you been on the restoration? Was it frame off?

shadowgray396
08-12-2010, 01:56 PM
First class job. Very sweet. How long have you been on the restoration? Was it frame off?

Total frame off, will be five years this coming December.

Ray

smokenjoep01
08-14-2010, 08:07 PM
WOW. Your living my dream. That first drive is going to be sweet.

shadowgray396
09-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Seats are at the upholstery shop being redone. Getting closer.

Ms Grumpy
09-01-2010, 04:09 PM
You have to want to work on it all the time, especially since it is all coming together for you now.