PDA

View Full Version : What a jam I'm in.

grandsport
05-11-2010, 07:35 PM
I really feel like crap too. As some of you know I quit my job about 6 months ago to get another business up and running and have been doing both since. I promised the owner I would stay for a while,but I didn't think it would be this long! I told him last week I have to leave and he better get a replacement for me. Well tonight he basically broke down,begging me to stay again. Now he wants me to work part time at my same pay rate and benefits. I don't know if he's putting a guilt trip on me or what,but it's working. I really haven't had that many jobs in my life,but I don't remember leaving being this tough. I already have a sizeable investment in the other place(sizeable for me). I don't know what to do.........

Edit: The owner and I are good friends.

Ms Grumpy
05-11-2010, 07:51 PM
When I read your post I went Holy Crap ! I am in a very similar situation and I had put my notice in at work on January 2nd of this year. I worked, because they needed 8-10 weeks to train someone to replace me. OK, so I stuck around. Partly for the insurance, partly because I had a great staff that I worked hard to get, and partly because I got to work 3 days a week.

Earlier today, I agreed to continue with this company in a different position. And I still don't know if I made the right decision. This new position will be totally different from what I did before, and something that I have done in my previous position, but only on a very small level.

Sometimes, change is good. I keep telling myself that.

So I have a small understanding of what you are going thru, because what I was leaving the job for, is something that I have alot of time and money invested in also.

It is a hard decision...let's hope we made the right one...

Nancy

grandsport
05-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Tough one Gary.... can't help you much on this one.... my own gut feeling is to move on to your own business. Keep in mind that perhaps the current boss does not want a competitor like you out there... if he keeps you on his team, you pretty much are controlled.

I'm sure that's part of it. But the biggest thing is,he knows I'm not a thief and I have running the place down pat. Trust is the main thing he can't be sure of when hiring someone else.

Ms Grumpy
05-11-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm sure that's part of it. But the biggest thing is,he knows I'm not a thief and I have running the place down pat. Trust is the main thing he can't be sure of when hiring someone else.

Trust...that is a hard thing to find in a dependable employee. Especially if you work for a company that works with "delicate" information.

shadowgray396
05-11-2010, 11:05 PM
I have to agree that is a tough place to be in. It also sounds like you have invested a lot of effort in your own new business venture. I have found working for me has alway been more profitable then working for someone else. I agree also trusted employees are hard to find these day. You also have to look at how many hours a day you are working, all work and no play will take it's toll on you. Good luck.
Ray

rak1
05-12-2010, 03:19 PM
If it we’re me, my thought would be sometimes you have to take chances and since you have already made a commitment to your business venture you should do it. If he's a friend he should understand and shouldn't be asking you to make sacrifices, or put you in this position in the first place. It's always best to think what's best for you and your family in the long run, and to keep your goals on target. I know you’re worried you might lose a friend but he should understand; if not is he really a friend, or someone taking advantage of your friendship? Just try not to burn any bridges if you can at all avoid it and try to stay positive.

Ms Grumpy
05-12-2010, 08:00 PM
I do agree with you rak1, but sometimes an employer has helped you thru a tough time and you almost feel obligated to do the same for him.

The real question is how long is long enough?

Nancy

Highway Star
05-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Gary, stick around and do both...and if he's paying full pay for part time...let him, under the condition that he starts interviewing people to replace you.

How many more times are going going to be able to "moonlight" like this?

grumpy
05-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Gary,

What ever you choose to do, we wish you the best.

rak1
05-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Gary,

What ever you choose to do, we wish you the best.
Times 1000!

grandsport
05-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys,but it's getting weirder every day!

Trophyman
05-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Your friend should be supportive. Hell, until you came along, he had a life size cut out of Cal Worthington and his dog Spot at your desk.
You got to go !!!!!
Mount up. Ride, boy, ride !!!!

Randy

grandsport
05-13-2010, 06:24 PM
I know,I know. I'm outta here. The biggest problem is I got spoiled here,and maybe a little lazy. Damn,I am gonna miss my personal assistant.:p

grandsport
05-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Not everyone will know of Cal Worthington....

He was interesting.

Gary, you can ride an elephant, were a goofy hat and make commercials to sell your cars... you would make a mint!

Those days are gone,my friend. Maureen would be a little upset if I brought an elephant home. Hell,she wouldn't let me get a monkey,what's up with that?:confused:

Trophyman
05-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Not everyone will know of Cal Worthington....

He was interesting.

Gary, you can ride an elephant, were a goofy hat and make commercials to sell your cars... you would make a mint!

I bet Gary knows who he is/was. You gotta admit it was funny !!!
I kill me !!!
LOL
Randy

grandsport
05-13-2010, 09:41 PM
I bet Gary knows who he is/was. You gotta admit it was funny !!!
I kill me !!!
LOL
Randy

Wasn't he a big used car dealer in Calif.?

Trophyman
05-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Yessir,
"Cal Worthington and his dog Spot"
Cal Worthington Dodge in LA. Later he sold used cars only. Dumbest commercials you've ever seen. But everybody within 500 miles from here remembers him and Spot.

Randy

Ms Grumpy
05-14-2010, 09:07 AM
If that was actually the song, I would think that it would be something you would remember cause it seems to start out aweful. lol

grandsport
05-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Sorta like Waterloo?

Ms Grumpy
05-14-2010, 09:21 AM
I just have to laugh

rocks66ss
05-14-2010, 09:41 AM
You know what they say Gary, "Money Talks and Bullshit Walks" you could make this, "I don't want you leave" work to your advantage.

Rocky

Ms Grumpy
05-14-2010, 07:18 PM
You know what they say Gary, "Money Talks and Bullshit Walks" you could make this, "I don't want you leave" work to your advantage.

Rocky

yeah...what he said...

chevguy65
05-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Do what your heart tells you to do and be at peace with it

Ms Grumpy
05-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Do what your heart tells you to do and be at peace with it

and your time and your wallet too...