PDA

View Full Version : New Job...for real?

Highway Star
04-16-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't think I've mentioned much if anything about it, but up until this week, I've been out of work for the last two months. The contractor I was working for...well, we finished the job. I had been working with them for about 4 years, and always seemed to land on big projects, behind a desk, in the "trailer", working with numbers and materials, and such. I'm decent with a computer, I have a good memory, attention for detail, etc. Right?

Anyways, they cut me, and about 200 other well-qualified, tenured (some more than me) people together a few months ago. All of the contractors are doing that around here, all disciplines, crafts, what have you. The company I worked for, last year this time, had 5 or 6 jobs staffing 200 or more people, in the refineries and chemical manufacturing facilities up and down the river around here.

I am close to running out of bread, and have been banging on doors looking for something... anything, I guess. There are a few people interested in me from engineering firms and such, but once "things pick back up".

I replied to an ad on craigslist (of all places) for a job, get this...assembling bicycles. Turns out the company contracts with sporting goods stores and such to handle all merchandise assembly for the bikes, bbq grills, outdoor furniture, exercise equipment, etc. I did work like this when I was in high school, and in college, and it was half a joke. It isn't that funny right now, let me tell you.

Work is monday to friday, the hours are at my discretion (unwritten expectation is 8 hr a day), maybe more around holidays

I get paid by the piece. There is a flat rate for each bicycle, and all of the other items, I get a %age of the actual charge from my company to the store. I found out after he fact, that I was hired at the maximum rate, even more than the person (8 yr. company dude) that trained me for 2 days. Some of the larger items have a few bucks attached to them, and I like work that is structured like this, where the more you do, the more you make.

I can put some of the bikes together in 4 or 5 minutes, and there are others that take about 20. There is potential to make decent $, and I already see that there is some growth opportunity on a regional level if I can figure this out so much that I am like a machine that spits out bikes. Plus, the people I will be working with every day, are of a different "caliber"...to be polite.

I could go on, this has consumed me for the last week. I woke up thinking about this job last night. I half can't believe this is what I am trying to do for a living, I half can't believe the company I was working for trashed me, that I can't seem to land anything else, etc.

Guys, am I nuts?

grandsport
04-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Are you happy? I couldn't tell one way or the other.

Highway Star
04-16-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure Gary.

grandsport
04-16-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure Gary.

I thought so. At least it's something for a while. Look on the bright side,you could be selling cars.:)

piette
04-16-2010, 10:27 PM
In short, you are happier now than you would be if you couldnt feed or shelter your family Jake, so run with it. Things will turn around eventually in the economy, until then do what you can do and do it damn well and take care of the family.

Unfortunately we can't ask for much more right now, but we can thank the Lord for what we have and what we could be missing in our lives.

Jeff

grumpy
04-17-2010, 05:54 AM
I think Jeff said it best.

Hank70SS
04-17-2010, 07:17 AM
You said you don't know if you're happy or not about the job. You also said you have a chance to make some decent $ and maybe advancement. So if you're not happy, why? You don't like the work or you think it's beneath you?

If you don't like the work maybe you just have to suck it up for awhile. Life isn't always fun. If you think it's beneath you, well what you do for a living doesn't define who you are. There is nothing demeaning about doing a honest day's work and providing for your family, that deserves respect. There are people that will judge you based on what you do for a living. Those are the same people I'm not interested in associating with.

I'm glad you found something, hope it works out for you if that's what you want.

Highway Star
04-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the encouragement fellas. I knew that I'd get some perspectives and opinions I hadn't thought of yet from my chevelleforum pals.

grandsport
04-17-2010, 08:58 AM
I think Jeff said it best.

Jeff says everything best. He is one intellegent guy!

piette
04-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Jeff says everything best. He is one intellegent guy!

No he isn't!!! Not by a long shot Gary. He's just a guy like everyone else that has learned to appreciate what he has and what could be gone tomorrow.

Jeff

grandsport
04-17-2010, 03:04 PM
No he isn't!!! Not by a long shot Gary. He's just a guy like everyone else that has learned to appreciate what he has and what could be gone tomorrow.

Jeff

That was a compliment,Jeff. You have a good hold on the written word. Me,I'm straight to the point,a one liner type of guy. Unless you want to buy a car.:p

Highway Star
04-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Update...real quick...

Bottom line, I was right. It sucks, in just about every possible way. I found out the the guy I work for is a piker. I'll work right around that if I can, but I'm seeing and hearing things that fit with my suspicions about him.

The only good thing is that I've more than doubled the output numbers they expected out of me, which they base on other new employee production numbers. In 10 hours I'm getting about 25-30 bikes and a few other items.

I'll tell you what, it isn't easy work. My arms and hands have been soooooo sore, I am literally turning nuts and bolts as fast as I can for 10 hours a day. I am working twice as hard as any job I've had in the last 5 years, and making 1/2 the $.

Hank70SS
04-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Sorry to hear it's not working out too good. Well you have a job and you can look for something else while this one brings in a little money. Good luck!

Rank
04-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Could you explain what the term "piker" means? ... thats a new one for me! LOL

I have been without work myself for about 6 months ... welp, not exactly out of work because periodically I find myself doing work I would have never considered in the past. One half a day here and there changing sprinkler heads, painting a vacant apartment even changing light bulbs. LOL All for pretty much minimum wage.

Being self-employed (Building Contractor, New Homes/Remodel) I have no unemployment check and any money I earn alittle goes to Uncle Sam so doing these sparatic jobs just dont seem to get me anywhere.

I have found that I would rather work for free than do the mienial jobs that keep me in a state of depression. I have provided free labor to help build a Little League concession stand, did some extensive remodeling at the senior center at cost and few other "gratis" jobs.

I find that this approach makes me feel good about my contribution and keeps my spirits up till the floodgates of work finally open again and I am confident they will. I base this belief on my experiences of these economic downturns of the past. It also keeps me in the working network and just possibly on of the people that I come into contact with might need, or know someone that does need my talent.

Also, its important to keep your creditors "in the loop" so you dont have that hanging in the back of your mind.

It takes time and patience but we always seem to survive these situations.
Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Hank70SS
04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
They say the economy is starting to pick up a little. Hope it does and helps you two out. I've never been unemployed but I'm sure it's got to be pretty stressful, good luck.

piette
04-26-2010, 10:09 PM
They say the economy is starting to pick up a little. Hope it does and helps you two out. I've never been unemployed but I'm sure it's got to be pretty stressful, good luck.

From where I am standing it seems to be. Seems like over the last month or so remodeling and building has taken a substantial upswing again. We are working as many hours as we can in a week now to keep up with the remodeling projects that are coming in and we just keep bidding and signing contracts, so its been a pretty positive looking spring around here.

I hope the trend continues throughout the country

Jeff

Highway Star
04-26-2010, 10:25 PM
I got a little unexpected satisfaction today out of seeing a little kid grinning a country mile with one of those shiny new bikes I just finished building. That was neat.

None of the bikes are anything special, and to tell you the truth, I think they all come from the same place...mongoose, schwinn, huffy, etc.

Ms Grumpy
04-27-2010, 06:58 AM
A little off topic, but just logged on to my bank website and my direct deposit didn't show up. Sad part is that boss messed up and owed me 20 hours from previous week. So I am ticked. To be honest I have never checked this early online, but doesn't it usually take place overnight? Hoping it shows up, don't want to talk to boss this morning.

rak1
04-27-2010, 04:50 PM
How did it go Ms. Grumpy; did you get everything straighten out?

rak1
04-27-2010, 04:54 PM
I got a little unexpected satisfaction today out of seeing a little kid grinning a country mile with one of those shiny new bikes I just finished building. That was neat.

None of the bikes are anything special, and to tell you the truth, I think they all come from the same place...mongoose, schwinn, huffy, etc.
When Schwinn sold the company to Pacifica in 2000 the quaility has gone down hill. You're right I think they are all owned by the same company made in China. Do they even make a bike made in the USA anymore?

piette
04-28-2010, 12:00 PM
There are several shops in southern Oregon that make bikes but they will cost $2000 or more. Imagine... no engine either!

I have more than double that into my road bike, no engine on it

Jeff

piette
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
When Schwinn sold the company to Pacifica in 2000 the quaility has gone down hill. You're right I think they are all owned by the same company made in China. Do they even make a bike made in the USA anymore?

Lots of bicycles are still made in the USA but they are higher end bicycles. Trek is made right here in Wisconsin, and is the countries largest maker. The only frames that are honestly made in this country now though are the high end OCLV carbon fiber frames, I have one I ride everyday. All the bikes are still assembled in Wisconsin though regardless of where the parts are made. Several other makers are still in country as well.

Jeff

rak1
04-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Lots of bicycles are still made in the USA but they are higher end bicycles. Trek is made right here in Wisconsin, and is the countries largest maker. The only frames that are honestly made in this country now though are the high end OCLV carbon fiber frames, I have one I ride everyday. All the bikes are still assembled in Wisconsin though regardless of where the parts are made. Several other makers are still in country as well.

Jeff
Thats good to hear. I'd like to get one of those new cardon fiber bikes but the price stops me.

Highway Star
04-28-2010, 05:29 PM
All the bikes I'm building are made in China...all of them.

Hank70SS
04-28-2010, 06:28 PM
My wife has a 1951 Schwinn that is completely restored. She doesn't ride it but it sure is pretty!

I have a 1970 Chevelle, it's not restored and it ain't pretty, but it was made in the USA.

grandsport
04-28-2010, 08:02 PM

More Pacifica bashing,will it never end?:mad:

piette
04-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Thats good to hear. I'd like to get one of those new cardon fiber bikes but the price stops me.

Ya they sure arent affordable as far as bikes go. I like my carbon fiber bike, and it has plenty of advantages when it comes to performance riding bicycles, and I know it was made in the USA, but really their is very little justification for the cost.

Check out Griffin or Pinarello bicycles sometime, even on the web. It is nothing for those to go $14,000 to $15,000!!! I test rode a $15,999 Griffin and was scared out of my mind of doing anything that could leave a mark on it. No thank you, I just want to ride, not ride while worried what could happen.

Jeff

Rank
04-30-2010, 12:07 AM
I have a 1970 Chevelle, it's not restored and it ain't pretty, but it was made in the USA.

.... ditto!

rak1
04-30-2010, 05:21 PM
.... ditto!
Most of mine still is but these hood and fender replacements from China....:(