PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I don't deserve my car.

grandsport
03-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Apparently I don't belong in the hobby because I can't tear my engine apart and rebuild it. Well,I could TEAR it apart,might have some pieces left over.This is one of the stupidest things I read in a long time over there. I am considered an investor,I'll have you people know. From now on that's Mr. Grandsport to you.:p

Hank70SS
03-22-2010, 02:07 PM
If you're getting out of the hobby Gary, I'll take the black car.

grandsport
03-22-2010, 02:10 PM
If you're getting out of the hobby Gary, I'll take the black car.

I'll need a profit,being an investor and all.

Derek69SS
03-22-2010, 03:12 PM
So Gary's an old autocrosser, eh? :cool:

You're welcome to come out and co-drive my Chevelle at a local event here any time! I need a good tire-warmer. ;)

grandsport
03-22-2010, 04:12 PM
So Gary's an old autocrosser, eh? :cool:

You're welcome to come out and co-drive my Chevelle at a local event here any time! I need a good tire-warmer. ;)

Learn something new every day,right? I really learned some great driving skills in autocross.In,fact a couple weeks ago I avoided an accident from those skills,only thing missing were the little orange cones.:)

Thanks for the offer,Derek.

grumpy
03-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Gary,

Whoever is telling you that is full of themselves. Chevelleforum.net is for everyone who owns, loves and drives their cars. If being able to wrench on a car was a requirement for ownership then theres a couple hundred million in this country that needs to get rid of them.

Stuff like this peeves me off. Its usually the same people spewing the numbers matching, OEM part only, or its crap stuff.

We are all about our cars, what matters is we love what we have and it brings us enjoyment. Who cares what anyone else thinks. I don't...

Sorry for the rant.

grandsport
03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
You know where that came fromDave,and it wasn't here. It was just silly,but I kept my cool and grace as always why get in to a fight over it? I consider the source.

piette
03-22-2010, 04:57 PM
If owning a muscle car ever comes with the requirement of knowing how to do all the work on it yourself, Barrett Jackson is screwed!! They are going to lose a whole lot of buyers.

I personally do almost all the work on my car myself, not because I want to but because its the only way I can afford to get it done. I did buy this latest engine as a crate engine from Mark Jones (Vortecpro) and thats only because he could build me a ton more power than I could for not much more than I would have in it.

It matters none to me whether someone is a "wrencher" or a "check writer" or some combination of both. What matters to me is they enjoy this hobby. I think the only ones that I really dont care much for are the cars that go from climate controlled garage to trailer to showfloor, back to trailer and back to climate controlled garage without ever being started. I just much prefer to see them driven, no matter the condition. 100% perfect resto should go down the road every bit as nice as my junk I would assume.

Jeff

Hank70SS
03-22-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm like Jeff, I do everything I can on my car myself. I enjoy it but I also couldn't afford to pay somebody else for everything. If I could afford a car like yours Gary I would be happy to write a check for it and drive it away. Like grumpy said, as long as you enjoy it, that's all that matter's.

grandsport
03-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Hank,I waited a long time for my car. Got all the important stuff out of the way first. And I enjoy the crap out of it,even if it's just shining him up in the garage.

Hank70SS
03-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Hank,I waited a long time for my car. Got all the important stuff out of the way first. And I enjoy the crap out of it,even if it's just shining him up in the garage.

You're a lucky guy Gary. You have a beautiful car and you enjoy it. That's what the hobby is about, an appreciation and enjoyment of these cars.

shadowgray396
03-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I like to do as much on my car as I can also. But I also realize there are others who can do it far better then me and I feel honored if they are willing to help me out, I agree with Dave who cares what others think. You have a great looking car enjoy it. I find people on this site far more friendly and encouraging then other site. Thanks everyone for your kind words.
Ray

grandsport
03-22-2010, 08:39 PM
I like to do as much on my car as I can also. But I also realize there are others who can do it far better then me and I feel honored if they are willing to help me out, I agree with Dave who cares what others think. You have a great looking car enjoy it. I find people on this site far more friendly and encouraging then other site. Thanks everyone for your kind words.
Ray

I agree,Ray. Just a comfortable place here.I think someone started a thread about that.;)

Highway Star
03-22-2010, 09:29 PM
I know Gary, and know that he knows cars. I didn't know he was an autocrosser, but it doesn't surprise me.

After reading this thread, and finding "that" one, I don't think it was bad as it seems. Just one guy, and he kind of went off the deep end a little about it.

I know LOTS of guys, especially at TC, that want nothing but STOCK. When it comes to Gary and his Chevelle, how is he any different? Whoopee if he can't tell you the measured piston to valve clearance of #7, in thousandths of an inch...

grandsport
03-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks,Jake.:) While I'm thinking of autocross,one of the coolest things for me was designing a 2 mile course through the streets of my home town,Latrobe. Try going to a city council and proposing that idea today,they would laugh you out the door. What a great time that was but I blew that race,talk about pressure!Waving-was my downfall.

grandsport
03-22-2010, 10:26 PM
I read the thread, what the guy said,

You actually made me wander back in there and read it. My interest was piqued and I had to post. SHeesh.... I had a record going of no-show there and only being here.

Gotta start over now....

What guy?....

flash
03-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Gary ,Im a tinkerer and do my own maintenance kind of guy. I have a shop full of cars and tools (my own) that are all paid for and I enjoy doing the things that I can myself. There are many things I wish I knew how to do ,but anytrhing major I leave to the pros. I would rather spend my time driving and enjoying other things than repairing cars . If they want to consider us investers so be it ,I have fun my way .Often times even if I can do some things I have someone else do simply for convenience . I dont have the patience for a numbers type car that I would be afraid to drive.You would be surprised how many trophy cars go from trailer to showfield to trailer and never really get driven. My cars are built for driving just like General Motors intended and dont have to be perfect. Some people are just not as good at working on these things as others are and I fit that catagory.As long as you enjoy your ride it shouldnt matter how you got there.

Ms Grumpy
03-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Gary,
I have loved older cars since I was a little girl climbing under the cars with my dad in our garage. I remember talking with him about how he was going to help me get my first car when I grew up. My dad died when I was 9 years old, but my love of old cars never has.

I never had anyone to teach me the right way to do alot of things, or even how to do many things to a car. I was lucky enough to have a brother who has a passion for cars and has been willing to help me with mine.

Is that wrong to ask for help? No it's not. For me, and my family ,it is our way to enjoy and appreciate my Chevelle.

Chris R
03-24-2010, 07:56 PM
I read that thread and I honestly dont think anyone was attacking you persay. Just a perspective thing.

grandsport
03-24-2010, 08:07 PM
I read that thread and I honestly dont think anyone was attacking you persay. Just a perspective thing.

My way or the highway mentality in my book.

chevguy65
03-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Gary,

Can you pm a link for me to see?
I will tell you if it came from where I think it did, I can bet the thread starter and those that followed have no clue.
In fact I can bet that those that say they can tear down an engine and build it themselves mean they can assemble an engine.
I doubt they do the machining, the porting and all of the other labor intensive parts of actually building an engine.

You gotta stop hanging out at that place if it is where I think it is.

Couldn't have been my site!!!

Hank70SS
03-26-2010, 10:13 AM
When TC was smaller the members developed a friendship and they treated each other with respect. It's so big now and a lot of those people are gone or post very little. So you have a large group of people that know nothing about each other and don't care about them either.

We have right here what TC lost. A group of people, all different but with a common interest and respect for each other. I've never rebuilt an engine, but I have replaced heads so I guess I deserve half a car, maybe a little less, heads aren't that hard to R&R. Guess my conversations with the so-and-so over there would also be short, which suits me just fine.

Ms Grumpy
03-26-2010, 10:59 AM
When TC was smaller the members developed a friendship and they treated each other with respect. It's so big now and a lot of those people are gone or post very little. So you have a large group of people that know nothing about each other and don't care about them either.

We have right here what TC lost. A group of people, all different but with a common interest and respect for each other. I've never rebuilt an engine, but I have replaced heads so I guess I deserve half a car, maybe a little less, heads aren't that hard to R&R. Guess my conversations with the so-and-so over there would also be short, which suits me just fine.

Hank,
I have seen, what you describe above, happen on other sites too. It takes alot of work from the people in charge, of the site, to make sure that something like that does not happen. I will tell you that Grumpy I started this site because we wanted a place for everyone to feel welcome and respected.

I have grown to have a huge respect for people with "classic" cars, whether they have dents, scratches or tons of bondo, I don't care. I know that each and every car owner has a sense of pride in the work that they have done.

Hank70SS
03-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Hank,
I have seen, what you describe above, happen on other sites too. It takes alot of work from the people in charge, of the site, to make sure that something like that does not happen. I will tell you that Grumpy I started this site because we wanted a place for everyone to feel welcome and respected.

I have grown to have a huge respect for people with "classic" cars, whether they have dents, scratches or tons of bondo, I don't care. I know that each and every car owner has a sense of pride in the work that they have done.

The size of TC is one issue, the loss of Al and Dot along with all the changes by the new owners has really destroyed the place. I check the forums over there now and then but I don't reply much. Too many people lurking, just waiting to tear somebody else's reply apart. What ever happened to respectfully disagreeing?

rak1
03-26-2010, 03:51 PM
No you don't Gary; please send the car and all the money you have to rak1 @.....:D

rak1
03-26-2010, 03:53 PM
And that other site can bite my shiny metal a$$... Go Bender, go Bender….

grandsport
03-26-2010, 03:55 PM
No you don't Gary; please send the car and all the money you have to rak1 @.....:D

The liabilities and an expense for daughters wedding go with it.:p

Chris R
03-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Im not by any means taking any sides here nor am I taking any shots at anyone. But there isnt anything in that post that says one should or shouldnt own a car just because he or she cant work (or can) work on it themselves. Its all a perspective thing.

grandsport
03-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Im not by any means taking any sides here nor am I taking any shots at anyone. But there isnt anything in that post that says one should or shouldnt own a car just because he or she cant work (or can) work on it themselves. Its all a perspective thing.

Exactly. And the main point was because I love a pretty car I cannot relate to guys at a car show.

chevguy65
03-26-2010, 09:05 PM
And that other site can bite my shiny metal a$$... Go Bender, go Bender….

I love bender...bender is great:ntwrthy: