PDA

View Full Version : liquid for automatic transmission Malibu 1971

Tonioh
03-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Hello to you all,
I have in my ownership Chevrolet Malibu on 1971.
There is a light leak after use of the vehicle.
I verified the oil of the engine and it is not that.
Furthermore, recently there is a strong noise which is listened as a grating under my feet when I am in free wheel (before braking and before an acceleration). I think in particular of the propeller shaft.
I deduct that from it the leak comes probably from the reservoir of the liquid of the automatic transmission But I do not know which product to put in it and I do not know where is the pull of this reservoir.

grandsport
03-12-2010, 11:39 PM
One could also take it to a repair shop to be sure.

Highway Star
03-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Sounds to me like this could be a leaky speedometer gear fitting. If it is loose, the slipping gear will make a light grinding noise, and it will leak from there as the torque converter empties after the car is parked.

You have to check the transmission fluid with the engine running & in park, and the transmission needs to be hot, like it was just ran for a while in all gears.

Tonioh
03-14-2010, 05:05 AM
I've checked everything in front, there's actually no leak. But the noise comes from the drive shaft. Like something is seriously creaking but nothing about the engine. It's all new and in good shape. When I drive fast or i'm accelerating, the noise doesn't appear anymore, it's only when i'm in free wheels driving. As I said: before to break or before to accelerate. While it's rolling slowly in streets. It's very loud!

Highway Star
03-14-2010, 09:49 PM
If you say the sound goes away when you're in the throttle, could the engine noise just be louder than the grinding sound?

If the trans was leaking and you haven't filled it, then it won't leak anymore until you fill the thing back up.

It would be a good idea to clean everything and fill up the transmission, and then try to see where it is leaking...and make sure to park it somewhere that is clean, so that if it leaks, you'll be able to tell.

rak1
03-16-2010, 04:40 PM
If you say the sound goes away when you're in the throttle, could the engine noise just be louder than the grinding sound?

If the trans was leaking and you haven't filled it, then it won't leak anymore until you fill the thing back up.

It would be a good idea to clean everything and fill up the transmission, and then try to see where it is leaking...and make sure to park it somewhere that is clean, so that if it leaks, you'll be able to tell.
Yep, I agree!

Highway Star
03-16-2010, 07:12 PM
I actually read over at TC, in an very similar thread started by the same OP, that it wound up being the wheels or tires. I think he lives in France.

grandsport
03-16-2010, 07:58 PM
I actually read over at TC, in an very similar thread started by the same OP, that it wound up being the wheels or tires. I think he lives in France.

I just thought of Saturday night live. The Coneheads.

Mitchell
03-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Hello to you all,
I have in my ownership Chevrolet Malibu on 1971.
There is a light leak after use of the vehicle.
I verified the oil of the engine and it is not that.
Furthermore, recently there is a strong noise which is listened as a grating under my feet when I am in free wheel (before braking and before an acceleration). I think in particular of the propeller shaft.
I deduct that from it the leak comes probably from the reservoir of the liquid of the automatic transmission But I do not know which product to put in it and I do not know where is the pull of this reservoir.

ATF Dextron III is what you need to put in your transmission.

Mitchell
03-20-2010, 06:24 PM
If I'm reading and understanding correctly, you want to know where to measure the amount of transmission fluid in the pan. There should be a dipstick for the automatic on the left side rear of the engine when you are facing it. Remove this, wipe the end clean and reinsert into the tube. The engine should be running. Remove the dipstick again and see if you need to add fluid. If you do, Dextron II is what I use. Do not use engine oil.

You should upgrade to dextron III (you don't have to but GM recommends it if I'm not mistaken.)