PDA

View Full Version : Car covers

grumpy
03-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Do you use one and what kind.

With the car coming back from paint I got to thinking we need a cover to protect our baby, even when in the garage.

I have very limited experience with covers other then cheap ones I use for my jeep.

Thanks

Derek69SS
03-09-2010, 07:20 PM
I can't use covers.... when the shiny paint is covered up, things get set on, leaned against, and bumped into the car. When the shiny paint is clearly visible, everyone is much more cautious around it, including myself.

Ms Grumpy
03-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I can't use covers.... when the shiny paint is covered up, things get set on, leaned against, and bumped into the car. When the shiny paint is clearly visible, everyone is much more cautious around it, including myself.

I agree....out of sight out of mind. Especially with kids, if they don't see it, it doesn't exist.

But I still want one...

WILL02
03-09-2010, 07:32 PM
I cover mine and put it way in the air on my 4 post. Keeps us from stacking crap on it. Kind of looks like a space ship up there! :cool:

flash
03-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I dont use covers but then again my gets driven year round .

Highway Star
03-09-2010, 10:24 PM
I have a $50 advance auto cover. It is old, like 15 years old. The material is chincy, and doesn't keep dust off the car. I wonder if it might hold in humidity, too.

I have to use it now, because I can't keep the dang cat off my CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

shadowgray396
03-09-2010, 10:35 PM
California Car Cover for the best protection. Worth the investment of $250. Water resistant, UV resistant and breathable. You won't be able to cover the car for a while with the fresh paint. You could use a king size flanel sheet if it is in the garage to keep the dust off it.

Ray

grumpy
03-10-2010, 04:58 AM
California Car Cover for the best protection. Worth the investment of $250. Water resistant, UV resistant and breathable. You won't be able to cover the car for a while with the fresh paint. You could use a king size flanel sheet if it is in the garage to keep the dust off it.

Ray

This brings up the question of how long should be wait before using a cover ?

Hank70SS
03-10-2010, 07:20 AM

Talk to your painter, could take several months for the paint to cure all the way through. Get it out in the hot sun as soon as the weather warms up.

I have a cover that came with car, has the NPD logo on the front. Seems like a good cover. Waffle like fabric, very soft and it does breath so it won't hold moisture. I don't put it on it as often as I should.

shadowgray396
03-10-2010, 09:03 AM

My painter told me to wait 4 months, and also get it in the warm sun to help get the gases out of the paint so it will cure. I have just had a flanel sheet on it and it has been about 3 months. I hoping to get it out in the sun in the next few weeks. I have been told also don't wax it until its been in the sun.
Ray

Richs66
03-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Do you use one and what kind.

With the car coming back from paint I got to thinking we need a cover to protect our baby, even when in the garage.

I have very limited experience with covers other then cheap ones I use for my jeep.

Thanks

Grumpy.........try www.carbag.com.......out of Bath MI, been using this for the last 5 yrs.........no issues whatsoever. It comes out excately the same way you put it in.............little on the pricy side, but ive been happy with it.

Rich

498 SS
03-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Don't believe what the less expensive covers say. I think they scratch too. I am going to start using old sheets. By the way......I have three car covers I will sell for cheep...let me know.

Bowtie-Bri
03-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi Dave,
I bought mine from NPD. I think its the same one that Hank has, except mine is blue. I only use it when the car is stored for the winter.
Becareful when choosing a cover for your car. Some covers are ment to be used for storage and can put fine scratches in the paint from constant use. I don't care the nylon covers as they don't provide very much protection. I did a search for scratchless carcovers and found this.
http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/weathershield.aspx
I know the bigboys that show their cars at the big indoor shows have custom covers made of Terrycloth. Heres another link to help you find the right cover for your car.http://www.properautocare.com/selectingcover.html Goodluck with your decision!

Hank70SS
03-22-2010, 06:50 PM
My cover is blue too Brian. Our covers are more of a storage cover than a protective cover I guess. They're soft but they breath so they don't trap moisture. Problem is if they get a lot of dust on them, then it rains, like at Frankemuth, the dirt washes through and get's on the car. So I guess it depends on what you're looking for. A waterproof cover is good at a show to keep the car dry if it rains but not good for long term storage because it will trap moisture.

Actually two different covers would be the best.

piette
03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
My cousin works for Kimberly-Clark (Kleenex brand along with lots of other products) and they are a huge maker of car covers and he is actually in the department that designs them. He gave me a list of which ones to avoid one time, I will have to try to find that. Even some of the K-C ones arent exactly the best, but he did say they make some very highend covers as well.

I need to get one myself, I stored my chevelle in the front garage this winter instead of the rear and I didnt cover it and it came out exceptionally dusty, and I'm not certain why. But a cover would have been great this year.

Jeff

grumpy
03-23-2010, 06:20 PM
I would be very interested in seeing that list. Post it if ya find it please.

Highway Star
03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Does he have any with sonar cat repellers in them?:D:D

Thermo-Nuclear
03-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Right now, until I can research as many car covers i can that's perfect for my application, I've got my recently painted Chevelle covered with two (2) King-sized, cotton bed sheets. They cover the top surfaces entirely and part of the sides. Good enough to allow the paint to breathe and protect it as well in my garage.