PDA

View Full Version : thinking about buying friends 70 ss

jacks996
01-30-2010, 08:25 AM
I have a friend that is finally thinking about selling his 70 LS6 4 spd car he bought new. Car is a number 2 and has 20k original miles. Still has the original tires and plugs in it. Has all documentation. He wants me to make an offer but I don't know where the market is on these. I am guessing it is worth about 100k but needs to be gone over and paint redone. car is 100% original. I have seen some restored ones for 100k that are like it. Car has been driven around the block every month since new but not tagged since 1975. It is not listed for sale any place yet as I have dibbs on it. Anyone have a amount I should offer to start negotiating?

grandsport
01-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Sounds like a great find! How good a friend is he?:D

shadowgray396
01-30-2010, 11:01 AM
First off welcome, Pictures always help trying to determine price, Is the car a bench seat, color combo, opitions all play a part in price. You said it needs paint, any rust, need quarters becauce it has been out side. Any additional info would help. I know of a original Black on Black LS6 fully documented with 30,000 miles in my area that you could not buy for 100k, but it need no work done to it.The market has been a little soft on these cars right now.
Ray

jacks996
01-30-2010, 05:39 PM
no rust at all, needs paint because it is 40 yrs old. always parked indoors and covered. black car, black interior with bench seat. He is a pretty good friend, he will not sell to anyone before letting me buy it.

grandsport
01-30-2010, 05:43 PM
no rust at all, needs paint because it is 40 yrs old. always parked indoors and covered. black car, black interior with bench seat. He is a pretty good friend, he will not sell to anyone before letting me buy it.

Just some words of advice. You do not want a 1970 in black. Look for another color and I will take the black one off your friends hands.:)

Derek69SS
01-30-2010, 08:17 PM
If the paint is "presentable", it would most likely hurt the value to repaint it... They're only original once, so I'd try real hard to preserve the original paint if at all possible.

Highway Star
01-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Does the guy know what he has? I know he is your friend, and assume you wouldn't put the screws to him, but does he have any idea what he won't take for it? What is the story on the car? Is it an inheritance...where he may be happy taking 50 grand for it or something? Know what I mean? Do you have legitimate documentation that it is an LS6? If you buy it, are you keeping it?

I agree on the paint. Keep it if you can. I have seen some pretty amazing things done to bring old paint back to life.

We need pics man, got any pics?

jacks996
01-31-2010, 03:46 AM
he knows what he has. that is why he has taken care of it for so long. i jokinly offered him 60k last year and it must have got him to thinking about finally selling it. i was thinking of offering 100k this time and see if he will take it. he does not want to take it to auction because he does not want to pay the taxes on the income. he wants cash. he has the paperwork from when it was brand new. i plan on keeping it and showing it if he does finally sell it. i will post some pics as soon as i have time.
thanks

[QUOTE=Highway Star;4859]Does the guy know what he has? I know he is your friend, and assume you wouldn't put the screws to him, but does he have any idea what he won't take for it? What is the story on the car? Is it an inheritance...where he may be happy taking 50 grand for it or something? Know what I mean? Do you have legitimate documentation that it is an LS6? If you buy it, are you keeping it?

I agree on the paint. Keep it if you can. I have seen some pretty amazing things done to bring old paint back to life.

We ne

Hank70SS
01-31-2010, 06:47 AM
Since it's an LS6 that tends to drive the price up. I would start at $80,000 and see what he says. As mentioned don't paint it, you'll destroy the value of the car. It's worth what it is because it's a survivor. You paint it and it's no longer a survivor. Clay bar, buffing, etc, just don't paint it.

stevestrat
01-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Just keep in mind that the market has softened on these cars recently. It does not mean that it will not rebound. I will be the fifth person to say "don't paint the car" unless it is necessary. If there is no rust, a buffer in the right hands can work miracles.
LS6 Survivor, $80,000 to $100,000 seems fair to me, depending on the condition of the underbody and paint.

jacks996
02-01-2010, 05:19 AM
thanks for the advice. i know a guy that can do magic with paint and will see what he can do and just keep it 100 percent original.

Just keep in mind that the market has softened on these cars recently. It does not mean that it will not rebound. I will be the fifth person to say "don't paint the car" unless it is necessary. If there is no rust, a buffer in the right hands can work miracles.
LS6 Survivor, $80,000 to $100,000 seems fair to me, depending on the condition of the underbody and paint.

fst64_v8power
09-24-2010, 11:49 AM
I always ask "what are you trying to get out of the car", you never know he may want less than your original offer...Ya'll are buddies im sure you will work out a deal..Def keep the car the way it is and dont change a thing, it will be worth more "Original" than restored in my opinion

1972convss454
10-09-2010, 12:48 AM
i will post some pics as soon as i have time.

Well what ever happened......did you buy it. Let's see it.

Rank
10-09-2010, 11:51 AM
I am thinking the author is sitting back giggling like a homely girl at the 8th grade dance.

Giggling because he ended up with the car or because he just pulled the wool over a few people's eyes LOL

Until I see pics I am betting on the second.

grandsport
10-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I just wish I had a friend with a 70 SS.:(

Rank
10-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Grandsport ... <snivel, snivel> .... I will be your friend!

grandsport
10-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Grandsport ... <snivel, snivel> .... I will be your friend!

lol.......

Highway Star
10-09-2010, 02:57 PM
The black car is like zorro and chuck norris put together. Waving

Bdubya
10-09-2010, 06:10 PM
I just wish I had a friend with a 70 SS.:(

I wish I had a $100k cash to spend on a car.:rolleyes: