PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Boost conversion.

Ron La Savio
05-25-2015, 10:02 AM
Hello Chevelle Forums

Relatively new to this site and was wondering if anyone has had issues with braking using Hi performance cams.
I've got a 70 Chevelle SS. my cam is mid-range not stock but not radical. Having issue's with poor braking.
Has anyone tried hydro boost conversion?
Thinking about making the switch. What are the up's and down's of the change. My car is not stock with some modern modifications and use it for road travel to show & cruises.
Someone was saying that an 84 Astro-Van might work.
I need more info. on changing over.

Ron L.

chevymaher
05-25-2015, 12:15 PM
I have it in my van. And my brother has it in his 68 charger.
Both had lumpy idling cams.
It is the deal for brakes. I have had stock, med and radical sounding cams. Kind that like to stall if it idles to long. Brakes worked the same every time.

Hank70SS
05-25-2015, 05:32 PM
What kind of vacuum does your engine pull? Just asking because if your engine pulls decent vacuum a booster may not help. Maybe something else going on.

Ron La Savio
05-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the reply !
Not sure what the vacuum is on the car but it pulls enough vacuum for brake issues. Hank, I have just about everything your Chevelle has but I've got a 427. Not stock but that's another issue.
What I have is a Corvette chrome 7" booster plus a concealed canister under the fender. The canister helped a little but if I get into a pushing match with these brakes I'm going to meet a new body and fender guy.
Just wondering if anyone else had the same issues I have.
I just want good solid brakes that when I put my foot down, there going to stop.
Thanks guys.

Hank70SS
05-26-2015, 04:55 PM
Sorry I can't help you more Ron. I believe a vacuum up around 12" or more should be good for power brakes, but I'm no expert in this area. Just wanted to make sure you didn't have another issue besides low vacuum.

mestorod70
05-27-2015, 08:24 AM
I have a hydroboost on my 70.
Car stops better than a new car. i love it.
If you do the conversion...get a kit as it will have all hoses and brackets.

Ron La Savio
06-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Well, I'm thinking strongly about putting hydro boost on the Chevelle.
Going to check my vacuum first but with the cam I've got there's no dough in my mind that I'm going to need this setup.

Mestorod, what kind or brand did you put on your Chevelle? was there any serious issues and will the power steering pump need to be replaced? I have a stock steering pump.