PDA

View Full Version : Trunk Floor Spray ?

71-SS350
03-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Currently in the process of replacing my rusted out Trunk floor on my '71 Chevelle. Using a 3 piece replacement floor and am wanting to use a spray in liner similar to what is used on truck bed steel floors. Is that a good idea, perhaps using Rustoleum floor spray or similar product? Anyone done such to somewhat mask or " hide " the welds as I replace the floor panels? Would also like to possibly use a black/gray spatter trunk paint afterwards. Covering the floor with a rubber mat or carpet is also a possibility. Need some thoughts and tips here, thanks.

chevymaher
03-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Do bodywork just like it is a outside panel. Then rough undercoating. Then the factory splatter paint. It is a rough finish so the bodywork don't have to be great. Never see it when it is done. Put a mat over it. Then when you lift the mat for a minute for inspection it looks perfect. Yea everybody want to look there don't they. Bottom is covered by the tank so it really isn't important.

Ken Hayes
03-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Eastwood Paints is what you need........... http://www.eastwood.com/

Gator Guard II Bed Liner...........................$62.99
Trunk Spatter Gray / Black includes Clear....$49.99

shadowgray396
03-05-2015, 09:10 AM
The trunk splatter spray is a water based paint. I sprayed a clear over mine when I got done to help keep it sealed.

Hank70SS
03-05-2015, 10:51 AM
The trunk splatter spray is a water based paint. I sprayed a clear over mine when I got done to help keep it sealed.

Did the same to mine. GM spatter paint and a satin finish clear, still good 8 years later.

mestorod70
03-05-2015, 03:15 PM
Try duplicolor spater paint.
It aint water based and requires no clear.
It can be resprayed anytime you want for touch ups.
BTW duplicolor is made by sherwin williams.
I sprayed a small section in the pic so you can see the results
I chose grey with white specs...buts its available in grey/black...and aqua.
About 8 bucks a can.
If your replacing metal i would use a seam sealer then epoxy primer then the spater.

71-SS350
03-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies, have lots of options to look into when I get to the point that the trunk is completed. Kinda like the gray Duplicolor spray, the lighter color would "lighten" the trunk area.

shadowgray396
03-07-2015, 08:01 AM
This is the lighter gray

chevymaher
03-07-2015, 08:03 AM
If you are not going for the microscopic spectral analysis. Some people feel the value of the car is zero if factory correct washers are not used On the bottom of the seat track.

Wal Mart sells a spatter paint for peanuts compared to automotive stuff. It is a rustolium garden furniture paint. I have the actual recommended paint in my trunk. I was using this on something else in the yard. I noticed it looked exactly the same. I hit a spot in the trunk. You cant see it. A slightly different shade.