PDA

View Full Version : Tasty

Hank70SS
01-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Scallops, wrapped in prosciutto, topped with a balsamic vinegar and orange glaze. Green beans sauteed in sesame seed oil with a touch of soy sauce.

That was tonight's dinner, I'm stuffed.

mmurphy77
01-26-2010, 10:01 PM
You're making my mouth water Hank!

Highway Star
01-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Sounds great...I loves me some scallops too!!:D:D:D

rak1
01-27-2010, 10:02 AM
You lucky dog.... I wish I was there; we're having shake and bake tonight.

Durand
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Hank:

Give us little info on the preparation of the scallops. Do you marinate them and is the orange glaze store bought? Since I am from the "woods" what would be a good alternative to prosciutto?? Isn't that seasoned thin sliced/slivered ham? I'm always looking to try something somewhat different in foods.....

Thanks,
Durand

Hank70SS
04-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Duran, I'm no cook, the wife whipped that up. The scallops aren't marinated, the orange glaze she made, I can get you the recipe. Yes, prosciutto is very thin sliced ham, kind of on the salty side. Jake could probably suggest some good alternatives. I bet bacon would be good, I like bacon wrapped scallops.

Highway Star
04-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Prosciutto (very likely prosciutto di parma) is very subtle. It needs to be sliced VERY thin because really, all it is, is a pig's leg that has been around a while...they tend to get a little "tough". ;) It is salt-cured, and you can taste that through to the finish. Also, there is a nutty element to the taste...not so much as prosciutto di san daniele, but nutty. Most of the pigs raised for that specific prosciutto eat a diet that consists mainly of chestnuts.

Anyways, bacon in no way equals prosciutto, but we all know what bacon does to almost ANY dish, right? :D Scallops and bacon go great together...the smokiness adds another layer of flavor. Most larger grocery stores have prosciutto, like Winn Dixie...something is telling me you're in MS, right Durand?

Bacon in place of the scallops would make an awesome dish, but it wouldn't be the same.

Marinating delicate shellfish is tricky...especially in citrus Usually the acid in your marinade will wind up "cooking" the scallops or shrimp, like in a ceviche.

Hank70SS
04-02-2010, 07:58 AM
I wasn't suggesting bacon would give the same taste as prosciutto, not sure if there is a substitute that would. Like you said though, bacon and scallops or bacon and anything is not bad.

Highway Star
04-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I wasn't suggesting bacon would give the same taste as prosciutto, not sure if there is a substitute that would. Like you said though, bacon and scallops or bacon and anything is not bad.

I should have been more clear. I know you weren't suggesting it as an equivalent substitute.

So who is going to be the first to try this out....

Citrus-balsamic glazed scallops with bacon

Durand
04-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Jake:

Since you seem to be the resident culinary expert, how about you try it and let us know? :)

You are right on the MS thing. Lived in north MS all my life.

Durand

troposcuba
04-15-2010, 04:24 AM
mmmm proscuitto di San Danielle... when i lived in Italy a couple years back, San Danielle was only about 45min. away. The proscuitto festival they had once a year was HEAVEN! I never popped for a whole cured leg, but always brought lots of sliced home with us. Man I miss that!