PDA

View Full Version : whinging noise

SS Shaun
08-09-2014, 10:09 PM
So i took the car out today and had some fun but i noticed a small issue. ones i got to about 35mph i hear a whinging sound. I thought it was coming from the rear end but after having my wife in the car she says it sounds like its coming from the front end. I only hear the noise on a deceleration. if i step on it the noise goes away as soon as i let go of the gas i hear it again. I know i need a wheel alignment but could that be the issue? any thoughts?

chevymaher
08-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Alignment is not it. Trans noise maybe. Rear end singing would be my guess to.

BillsCamino
08-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Rear end singing would be my guess to.

I'm sure that's it.

shadowgray396
08-10-2014, 09:47 AM
I'm sure that's it.

I agree, most whinning is the rearend

SS Shaun
08-10-2014, 12:53 PM
see i thought the same thing until i had my wife come in the car with me. she said its not in the rear (had her in the back seat) its coming from the front. So now i am racking my brain did i put enough fluid in the trans...lol its really coming from the front of the car it almost sounds like a wheel bearing or a trans is low in fluid. Also if it was the rear end wouldn't it whine all the time?
Also here is the carrier i am using on my rear end
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-913a481/overview/

so i understand that its a noisy rear end but it really doesn't sound like its coming from my rear

BillsCamino
08-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Often rear end noise will radiate from the drive shaft.
Anyway that you could SAFELY put the car up in the air and run it in gear? Maybe lightly apply the e-brake to "load" the drive train...

chevymaher
08-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Same carrier I got in my van. They are a noisey critter. But a good posi.
No it wouldn't whine all the time. It is actually the sound of the gears meshing. That carrier is hardened steel so it carries the vibration/sound better. No sound deadening qualities to that one.
On jackstands in neutral spin the wheels and driveshaft. If it isn't growling then your all good. Just gear noise.

SS Shaun
08-10-2014, 08:53 PM
that is exactly what it sounds like gear noise. which is why i am thinking did i put enough trans fluid in

Ms Grumpy
08-11-2014, 08:24 AM
that is exactly what it sounds like gear noise. which is why i am thinking did i put enough trans fluid in

Like said before, some are just louder than others. You keep saying that maybe you didn't put enough trans fluid in. Does the fluid look good and at a good level ?

SS Shaun
08-11-2014, 12:23 PM
the trans i am running doesn't have a dip stick i went to the auto store and got some fluid. I am going to open the fill plug and pour some in until fluid comes out and see what happens. I am to the point where i dont remember if i did or not! so i will find out when i get home

SS Shaun
08-11-2014, 05:53 PM
well i checked and sure enough i was 2 qts to little on my trans. i filled it up and took it for a spin but i still hear the gears noise on decel more in the rear. i guess i need to live with it until my rear goes and i get a better setup. Mine is to much geared for racing anyway.