PDA

View Full Version : Is any color OK?

Ms Grumpy
01-22-2010, 05:47 PM
So is it OK to paint your car any color. Or do you have to stay within the actual colors for the year of your Chevelle?

grandsport
01-22-2010, 06:19 PM
It's perfectly ok to paint your car any color you desire,as long as it's black.:D

Highway Star
01-22-2010, 06:33 PM
I say paint it any color you want...that's what I would do. If somehow I was awarded a full-paint as a gift or a raffle:D, I would paint my car hugger orange or grecian green, both with white stripes. Neither of those were offered in 1972.

grumpy
01-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Its ok to paint it any color. As long as its the one I choose :)

flash
01-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Now Grumpy , you know better than that . My wifes 72 Malibu vert was originally a dark brown metalic color (nice color), but a bronze color when we got it. She told me it was her car and her color which turned out to be GM fire red metalic with white top and interior. All I can say is she done a great job picking colors as it turned out great.

BillsCamino
01-23-2010, 08:33 AM
When I buy a Chevelle, I always consider what color it was originally based on what is on the trim tag.
I usually return the car to that color.
The only exception was on my '70...originally #50 Gobi Beige but I did paint it the 1970 #10 Classic White.
And my '69 SS, presently in Daytona yellow :(, will be returning to it's original color... Dover White.

mmurphy77
01-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Personally, I prefer to have it the color on the trim tag. However, it's your car, do what you like. I think what bothers me more is schemes that were not available. For example, '68-'69 cars with '70-'72 D88 stripes, or GSX stripes on a non-GSX car, W-30 stripes on a non-W-30 car, etc. Again, that's my opinion. I refer back to "it's your car, do what YOU like."

grumpy
01-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Our originally was pewter. Just not a color either of us liked.

Derek69SS
01-23-2010, 03:13 PM
I follow the "paint it however you want" rule. :)

Mine's a 95 Corvette color.

Hank70SS
01-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Ya, paint it any color you want, but when the resto police come knocking don't say I didn't warn you. :)

I get tired of seeing red, black, and silver Chevelles. They look great but it's nice to see something different too.

Langss
01-23-2010, 08:56 PM
My Chevelle was originally Madeira Maroon with White Interior.I love the car, but I was never a fan of the outside color or the interior color.So in the really remote chance I ever become wealthy enough to have a frame off restoration done, would I be going way off base to have black interior with blue outside or is originality the only thing that matters.

Hank70SS
01-24-2010, 07:29 AM
My Chevelle was originally Madeira Maroon with White Interior.I love the car, but I was never a fan of the outside color or the interior color.So in the really remote chance I ever become wealthy enough to have a frame off restoration done, would I be going way off base to have black interior with blue outside or is originality the only thing that matters.

Originality is fine if that's what you want but it's not the only game in town. My car is 55 10 paint code. Champagne gold with a white painted top. I keep leaning towards putting a black vinyl top on it. Just can't decide, I'm not worried about originality but I kind of like that my car is different than all the other Chevelles I see.

jnorton
01-24-2010, 08:07 AM
I agree with the "It's your car, paint it how you want it", and I know I will on my 72 - BUT - if I had a well documented SS, I probably would stick to the original.

Ms Grumpy
01-24-2010, 08:32 AM
It's perfectly ok to paint your car any color you desire,as long as it's black.:D

What is it with black? I really like black, but it is so hard to keep it clean. And it is one of the colors that shows every single flaw. I know that the guys that are doing the bodywork on my Chevelle are doing a great job, because they are family, and they know how much the car means to me. But, it is still one of those, i'm not sure, colors.

Ms Grumpy
01-24-2010, 08:50 AM
I say paint it any color you want...that's what I would do. If somehow I was awarded a full-paint as a gift or a raffle:D, I would paint my car hugger orange or grecian green, both with white stripes. Neither of those were offered in 1972.

It has been hugger orange for the past 11 years. My kids wanted me to paint it the same color again. About the white stripes, what kind of stripes, there are so many out there?

Ms Grumpy
01-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Its ok to paint it any color. As long as its the one I choose :)

NOT !!!Waving

Ms Grumpy
01-24-2010, 08:54 AM
I refer back to "it's your car, do what YOU like."

Thank You !!

Mike 1972SS
01-24-2010, 09:11 AM
My documented, matching 72 SS was originally code 68, midnight bronze. Almost up to the day of buying the paint, I planned on painting it that color, although deep down inside I really didn't like it. I changed my mind at the last minute and picked Mulsanne Blue. I'm VERY glad I did it. Personally, I knew that after all those years of working on it, trying to get it perfect, why would I want to paint it a color I could not live with.

Remember, you are picking a color that makes YOU happy, not anybody else.

Mike

BillsCamino
01-24-2010, 10:46 AM
NOT !!!Waving

LOL! :cool:

johnnys1977
01-24-2010, 11:07 AM
It is like an artists canvas! It is blank uptil the artist puts his soul onto it!
Paint it how you see it! It is your canvas!:)

Ms Grumpy
01-24-2010, 03:21 PM
I have chosen a color. It is a custom version of Copperhead. I wanted more of an orange/rust tint and we found the right mix. I have also decided that I wanted the hood and deck lid and ledge, painted black, along with the small ledge along the driver/passenger windows in black also. Grumpy is not with my program...what do you guys think?

grumpy
01-24-2010, 03:37 PM
She basically wants the top minus the roof to be black. I am not so sure and think it would probably look better with the hood, trunk and roof all in black.

Langss
01-24-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree with the "It's your car, paint it how you want it", and I know I will on my 72 - BUT - if I had a well documented SS, I probably would stick to the original.I am the second owner.Except for a few very minor things,the car is very original.I thank everyone for the opinions expressed.Now if I could only win the Lottery.................

Hank70SS
01-24-2010, 04:09 PM
So from the crease at the top of the fenders up black, your way including the top, her way not including the top. If you don't do the top black where to cut it off in the back? You would almost have to go up around the flat area around the back window as it has a crease that makes a natural dividing line, unless you have the vinyl top trim.

Sorry Nancy, I think I have to go with Dave, black from the crease up. You still have a problem at the front on the fender extensions. No clean dividing line above the headlights. The black would have to come down around the headlights.

EDIT: Forgot you have a 72 and the fender extensions are different than the ones on a 70. The more I look at my car and try to picture it I think it might work Nancy's way. Still think you need to take the black up around the rear window as the deck lid flows naturally up around the window. Dave's way, without vinyl top trim there is no natural place to make the change in color between the rear quarter and the roof.

450HP
01-24-2010, 05:06 PM
If it's a concourse restoration, then the original color is best.

If not... then any color you want as all bets are off! :)

Scott

flash
01-24-2010, 05:25 PM
I think Ms Grumpy gets to pick her own color and color scheme .

grumpy
01-24-2010, 05:27 PM
She is thinking like this only minus the vinyl top. We have the vinyl top trim but id prefer not to use it and paint the top black to.

Hank70SS
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
She is thinking like this only minus the vinyl top. We have the vinyl top trim but id prefer not to use it and paint the top black to.

If you don't use the trim you can't paint the top black. There is no clean way to cut the line between the quarter and roof without the trim. Of course I don't know s*** and it's not my car.

Hank70SS
01-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Hank has a good point about the quarter & roof.

What you really meant is, "Hank has a good point, he doesn't know s*** and it's not his car." :)

grumpy
01-24-2010, 06:13 PM
I just think it will look silly with a bronze colored top and black truck and hood. Just my 2 cents and that and a nickle wont get me a bus ride :)

Ms Grumpy
01-24-2010, 06:19 PM
I think Ms Grumpy gets to pick her own color and color scheme .

And I totally agree !!!!
LOL

Ms Grumpy
01-24-2010, 06:26 PM
This is probably the closest color that we could find. Mine will be a little different. But imagine the hood and deck lid black like I explained earlier. But, the roof will be copperhead. I guess the best way to describe what will be black is the think of any surface that is horizontal will be black and anything vertical will be copperhead.

So what do you think? Be honest.

http://www.meanstreet.net/D2H_0216.jpg

Ms Grumpy
01-24-2010, 06:44 PM
So how much did Grumpy pay you to side with him ? lol.... I have a thick skin, I will take any and all comments.

Ms Grumpy
01-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I am not offended by your comment. It is not my place to judge anyone for their oppinion. I knew that some would not particularly care for the color I picked, and that is OK. Hell, the car used to be Hugger orange with a black vinyl top and people used to look at me funny. Grumpy and I looked at many colors and the colors he liked, I didn't, and vice versa. The reds are rediculously expensive, and their are so many of them, same with black. I was looking for a unique color and I had picked a few copper colors and then the copperhead was shown to me and I knew that I had found what I was looking for. I was looking to put the heavy chevy stripe on the side and then the idea of painting the hood and deck lid were shown to me, and I liked them better than the stripe.

Hank70SS
01-24-2010, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't risk it because I couldn't afford it if it didn't work out. Still I think it might turn out good. Follow the natural body lines, that includes up around the rear window with the black and you may have something there. For sure it will be different and draw some attention. Some people will like it, some people won't, can't please everybody.

Ms Grumpy
01-24-2010, 07:50 PM
When we decided to do this, it was from Grumpy pushing me to do something for myself. It was a difficult decision, that I am so glad that I made, and he has been supportive of any color I choose, well almost any, even though he has not been the biggest fan. I want to find a drawing of a Chevelle and do a color drawing to have a picture to give me an idea of what it might look like.

grumpy
01-24-2010, 08:24 PM
She's not that in to the pro street look and I am. The Misses gets the to pick the color and I get to pick tires and rims and lowering springs. :)

So to comment on what SB mentioned, yes it will be pro streeted. :)

Highway Star
01-25-2010, 12:05 AM
I was bored...do these help any?

grumpy
01-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Actaully that does help quite a bit. I'll show em to her when she gets in later today. Thanks

Herbie67SS454
01-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Well...............it is her's to do as she pleases.
I think the pic's that Jake put up look good but it wouldn't work for me.
If Ms. Grumpy is happy, I'm happy.
I have a project 68 Mustang to fix up for the wife. She wants Panther Pink on it when I get ready to paint. I sure hope she changes her mind!!!!!
My 67SS was originally white with a blue hardtop two tone with a blue interior.
I just never ever liked it.
If I still had the original numbers matching engine, I would have thought more seriously of painting the car original, though.
Painted it Torch Red with black interior.
Best of luck on your decision, ma'am. I know it will be nice either way.

Highway Star
01-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Out of curiousity, what type of finish were you thinking about for the black...flat, matte, satin, gloss?

grumpy
01-25-2010, 10:03 PM
It will be gloss black.

68 nova 10.5
01-26-2010, 01:40 AM
I really hate to complicate this any more for you Dave & Nancy, However the silver car with the black on the top is a local car and we are wanting to do some thing diffrent since the other car has a vinyl top on it it would be diffrent technicaly. we are also thinking of a 3/16" dividing stripe between the black and cooperhead in either a bright blue or a pewerter for contrast and if going with the pewter i may suggest to paint the ralley wheels to match. the chevelle is a base model so origanality should not be a concern I would love to see it painted black and rest assured the body work would be flawless however it would only look right with silver ralley stripes with wheel well moldings and rocker moldings just my opinion p.s. hate to have to stop workin on the car due to not having the paint scheme decided:) Glenn

Highway Star
01-26-2010, 06:53 AM
I keep looking at those pictures, and although they are a poor representation of what the car would look like, I'm not so sure I like that look. I know the 2 tone thing is a newer style and stuff, and that a lot of cars are running around with color schemes like this one, it just looks moparish a little too much for me. Beyond that, we all know what those silly prostreet cars from the 80s look like and how un-timeless their paint jobs are with the dated patterns and colors. Is it possible that a few years from now this 2 tone scheme will be the same way? Maybe it is just me.

I think my official vote is "against" this idea.

I'm not entirely against the idea of incorporating black into the paint job, just in that fashion. Maybe it can be used to accentuate the contours of the car, kind of like the "heavy chevy" stripe you mentioned earlier,...not because it is anything but wild, rather because it uses the shape of the car. I can see the lines of that '71 on the CF banner pretty well, maybe there's something to them that can make a paint job nobody's seen, that looks like something GM shoulda put on chevelles from the factory. Maybe I should just shut up. :D

rak1
01-26-2010, 11:42 AM
It's your car so paint it any color you want as long as it's not PINK.

Highway Star
01-26-2010, 04:44 PM
http://image.superchevy.com/f/29594526/sucp_0908w_04_z+project_american_heores_three+conc ept_drawings.jpg

Derek69SS
01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Find a picture of a plain white chevelle and print out 10 copies... then have some fun with colored pencils. :)

Ms Grumpy
01-26-2010, 06:29 PM
I am so looking forward to driving the Chevelle again. But, just like everything else with the car, when you think that you have made the right decision, something else is shown/offered to you and it makes you think that maybe I did not make the right decision.

Glen, just have to ask....can we paint the car black? You know my concerns, black shows every flaw. I know you guys have done such an amazing job and Black is probably one color that Grumpy and I would agree on....

What the hell do I do?

Ms Grumpy
01-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the pics and ideas Highway Star. Just wondering if we could do the reverse with the black and the orange paint scheme on the car? I know that the orange would not show up as much..but that is ok. Especially if we used the copperhead. OK so I am stuck on this copperhead color..it's better than pink. lol

I just want something different, not strange, just different.

Ms Grumpy
01-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Glenn, you know that I value you and Eric's opinion. When we started this project we steered away from black because we were afraid that every single flaw would show. Partially because I think that you guys did not expect to have the support that David and I have given you, and partially because you have seen what this car means to me. I love the idea of black, but don't tell David that....lol....

I really hate to complicate this any more for you Dave & Nancy, However the silver car with the black on the top is a local car and we are wanting to do some thing diffrent since the other car has a vinyl top on it it would be diffrent technicaly. we are also thinking of a 3/16" dividing stripe between the black and cooperhead in either a bright blue or a pewerter for contrast and if going with the pewter i may suggest to paint the ralley wheels to match. the chevelle is a base model so origanality should not be a concern I would love to see it painted black and rest assured the body work would be flawless however it would only look right with silver ralley stripes with wheel well moldings and rocker moldings just my opinion p.s. hate to have to stop workin on the car due to not having the paint scheme decided:) Glenn

68 nova 10.5
01-26-2010, 09:06 PM
http://image.superchevy.com/f/29594526/sucp_0908w_04_z+project_american_heores_three+conc ept_drawings.jpg
Im really diggin this............

Highway Star
01-27-2010, 06:42 AM
I like it too. It really looks like that black stripe was meant to be there. The ghosted stars/stripes are pretty bad ass, & I'm diggin' the tricked exhaust tips, too. The only thing I'm not crazy about are the wheels, but I understand that it is part of the functionality of the car, providing that it is a pro-touring setup.

Isn't that hood like a 'vette L88 hood?

grumpy
01-27-2010, 11:19 AM
See now I dig the hell outta that. Just not the stars and stripes theme in the black.

And those rims are killer to me. :)

rak1
01-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Great picture there Jake!!

flash
01-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Those are killer pictures , do you do renderings from photos of real cars ? I would love to have one of each of my cars if not too expensive.

grumpy
01-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Pretty sure they came from here. http://www.rt66motorsports.com/projects_view.php?i=43

Ms Grumpy
01-28-2010, 01:27 PM
So after talking to Eric, my brother who is doing the Chevelle, Grumpy and I have decided that black is gonna be the base color. I know you guys are gonna say "isn't that just like a woman, can never make up her mind". And that is not the case at all. I always loved black, just did not want to assume that mine was gonna be nice enough to paint black. I now know differently. I have always put alot of trust into the work that my brother and Glenn did, I just never really realized how good they were until recently.

So now I just need to pick the correct color for the heavy chevy stripe.

68 nova 10.5
01-28-2010, 05:10 PM
So after talking to Eric, my brother who is doing the Chevelle, Grumpy and I have decided that black is gonna be the base color. I know you guys are gonna say "isn't that just like a woman, can never make up her mind". And that is not the case at all. I always loved black, just did not want to assume that mine was gonna be nice enough to paint black. I now know differently. I have always put alot of trust into the work that my brother and Glenn did, I just never really realized how good they were until recently.

pewter and paint the rally wheels to match!

68 nova 10.5
01-28-2010, 05:12 PM

also thank you for the compliment!

Ms Grumpy
01-29-2010, 05:50 PM
How about a rich red, like the Cabernet that David liked from Vibrance line...

Trophyman
04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Personally, I prefer to have it the color on the trim tag. However, it's your car, do what you like. I think what bothers me more is schemes that were not available. For example, '68-'69 cars with '70-'72 D88 stripes, or GSX stripes on a non-GSX car, W-30 stripes on a non-W-30 car, etc. Again, that's my opinion. I refer back to "it's your car, do what YOU like."
As a matter of fact there were a little over 400 69 SS's from the factory with the D-88stripes. They were running them at the end for a "test" for the full blown year of 70.
I knew you'd want to be informed.
Randy

rak1
04-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Red's nice!!

RICKS70SS
06-06-2010, 11:11 AM
OK....... Heres a way to look at it. If someone has a Model car of your yr. Paint it the way you think you'd like. Let it sit for a week on your desk or where you see most of the time. if you still like after that. Go for it. I'm a beleiver in paint it or what ever to your taste. It's YOUR car. Please don't build it for everyone else wants. You won't be happy. Everyone has an opinion. Yours is the one that counts. Unless its PINK.........YUK. Only Brad in NCC likes that color. :)

RICKS70SS
06-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Ohh. By the way. Mine is everybody red with Black stripes clone SS. I love the way the car looks. But I also like the Cortez Silver w, red interior look. again my opinion. Good luck

Ms Grumpy
06-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Car was painted black with a silver stripe. I like the combination, and I think that Grumpy actually liked the combination.

RICKS70SS
07-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Just my opinion. But I'm building the Chevelle for ME! Not some Joe down the street. So I do want I want to my Chevelle. Now if someone wants to help out with some cold hard $$$$. We can talk. Other wise shut your pie hole. It's mine Not yours. Nough said.