View Full Version : gauges question (simple i am sure)

SS Shaun
09-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Ok so a buddy of mine gave me a few gauges to have for my chevelle. I have one of those 3 in one setup with the water (installed) volts and oil pressure (installed) and a tach. My question is where do you get the power for the gauges to be with the key on? ACC spade on the fuse box? is that where you put the Volts to get the reading as well? What about for the lights? How do you wire it to turn on with the lights?

Hank70SS
09-30-2013, 07:45 PM
ACC or IGN for power and volt gauge. Depends on if you want the gauges on while in accessory mode or only with ignition on. They will draw some power, not a lot but some, so if left on in accessory mode for a long time, like listening to radio, they will add more drain on battery. Normally gauges only have power on while engine is running, IGN. Should be able to tap into dash light power for the lights.

SS Shaun
10-01-2013, 09:06 AM
ok i will change it from ACC to IGN then. now i have to figure out where to tap in for the lights

RBeckman
10-01-2013, 11:36 AM
ok i will change it from ACC to IGN then. now i have to figure out where to tap in for the lights

Don't tap into the blinker wire....that would not work when your blinker is not on.

SS Shaun
10-01-2013, 12:30 PM
well from what i was told today on my fuse box i should have a spade that says LPS next to the INST LPS. it should look like this
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/run269/HPIM02332.jpg

if i put the lights to that it should turn on when i turn on the headlights i will find out in about 4 hours :)

Hank70SS
10-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Don't tap into the blinker wire....that would not work when your blinker is not on.

What if he only looks at his gauges while turning, then it would be perfect. Waving

You need to find the wire from the headlight switch that feeds the dash lights. Then the gauge light brightness will be adjusted when adjusting the dash lights. Sorry, can't help you there, 69 dash wiring is different than a 70.

SS Shaun
10-01-2013, 08:14 PM
i got it i used that spade that i listed in that picture. worked perfectly!!