PDA

View Full Version : Re chrome or replace

John
08-29-2013, 06:56 AM
I need to either re chrome my rear bumper or replace it. I was curious what others have done? The price for a replacement bumper of OPG is under $200. Re-chrome, I can't imagine being less than. However, I don't really want to purchase a replacement bump that was made in china. Any suggestions?

SS Shaun
08-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Learned from my camaro replacing never seems to line up the same as re chrome. We bought one from ground up fit perfectly for the front. Bought one from opg for the rear nothing lined up at all ended up returning it and getting one from ground up fit perfect. No clue why tho. But on the chevelle I re chromed it was just as much as getting a new one but no issues

carpoor
08-29-2013, 07:56 AM
I haven't had any fitment issues on 71'-72' cars. The current bumper on my 72' is from NPD, and the chrome on it is toast. I bought a replacement from GU, $169 IIRC. Hoping it holds up better.

Mind you, I have yet to drive my car in nearly six years of ownership. The bumper has only been on the car maybe five years. I have only had to put the car outside for five months. The rest of the time, it was in a dry garage or covered in a car port. The front bumper is from NPD, purchased at the same time. It looks better, but I now see it is rusting from the backside.

Quality rechroming will run you two to three times the cost of a reproduction bumper. But, you get what you pay for.

smoke' em II
08-29-2013, 08:32 AM
John, I have had real good luck with Ogden in the past. They are one of the cheaper places and so far they have done really nice work for me. They will have FedEx pick it up from you and will call you with the quote. If you don't like the quote they will ship it back to you free of charge. No cost at all to you, and I think you will find that they are one of the cheaper shops around.

http://www.ogdenchrome.com/

shadowgray396
08-29-2013, 10:21 AM
I had my rear bumper rechromed rather then buy a replacement one. I heard that TriCity Plating in Tenn is the place to go.

BillsCamino
08-29-2013, 10:52 AM
I had my rear bumper rechromed rather then buy a replacement one. I heard that TriCity Plating in Tenn is the place to go.

Tri-City has done many bumpers for me...including the rear one presently on my '70 wagon...replacing the bent original.
Tri-City will either rechrome yours or if needed in a hurry (as was my case), ship one from their inventory if available and take yours as a core.

John
09-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I will look into this ogden chrome-see what they charge.

flash
09-10-2013, 03:43 PM
I had my 72 Malibu bumpers rechromed at about $750 for the pair if I remember correctly .My 72 El Camino has a repop rear bumper which fit and looks good but I have my nice original if ever needed.

Eric
09-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Just wanted to put my vote in for re-chroming. Tried 3 or 4 bumpers on my sister Nancy's Malibu from CARS and NPD which luckily are local here in Michigan. The new stampings are not verry consistant and the plating on them is hit or miss. Got a pretty good one finally, but shipping was not as much of an issue for us.

flash
09-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Eric ,its great to hear from you and we cant wait to get together with you again.

John
09-16-2013, 09:08 AM
Ogden Chrome quoted $550 for the rear bumber! Yikes.