PDA

View Full Version : Good deal at the gun shop today...

Derek69SS
01-14-2010, 09:23 PM
I stop in the local gun stores and pawn shops about once a week to check the selection of used guns... stopped in one where they said they were going to have a lot of consignment stuff coming in from a local collector.

Picked up a brand new, never fired Remington 870 Marine Magnum for $299 :cool: 18" barrel, 6rd mag tube, and nickel finish. Retail is just under $800 Looks identical to this. :)

http://www.oneshotonline.com/store/images/25012.jpg

BillsCamino
01-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Rem 870...one of my favorite pump shotguns!! My #1 fav is the Ithaca model 37 (the old ones) with the botton eject. Got a couple brothers that are lefties.
Good buy Derek. :cool:

Derek69SS
01-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Rem 870...one of my favorite pump shotguns!! My #1 fav is the Ithaca model 37 (the old ones) with the botton eject. Got a couple brothers that are lefties.
I shoot left handed, (I'm right handed, but left-eye dominant) so for sporting clays I use a Browning BPS for that same reason... bottom eject and ambidextrous safety. :) I have one other 870, and that also has an 18" smooth barrel, as well as a red-dot scope, flashlight, side-saddle, and pistol grips... keep it next to the bed. ;)

Not sure what accessories I'll add to this one yet... I like tactical gear. :D

Highway Star
01-14-2010, 10:26 PM
I shoot left handed, (I'm right handed, but left-eye dominant)

Me too. Do you bat righty or lefty?

Nice score by the way, D.

Derek69SS
01-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Shooting long-guns is really the only thing I have to do left handed. It amazes me how many others I talk to that have the same problem. It gets a little awkward sometimes, especially with right-handed bolt-action rifles.

piette
01-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Shooting long-guns is really the only thing I have to do left handed. It amazes me how many others I talk to that have the same problem. It gets a little awkward sometimes, especially with right-handed bolt-action rifles.

My daughter is a left eye dominant right handed shooter as well. We are trying to fix that right now. When we go shooting I bought her some really nice shooting glasses and blacked out the left lens on them. This forces her to look with only her right eye. We do this for about an hour and then she takes them off for a little bit and she is slowly working the amount of time she can shoot right eyed up. Confused the heck right out of me why she was leaned so far over the gun to look through the sites when we first went.

Her being only 8 years old it is something that can be remedied yet with some practice.

Jeff

piette
01-14-2010, 10:59 PM
By the way, awesome score on the 870 Derek, thats a great price!! I love 870's, just a great handling shotgun.

Bill, have you noticed Ithaca Guns USA, is no longer and is now Ithaca Gun Company? The original Ithaca got nailed for manufacturing there own recievers and not paying the federal tax on each one of those recievers they made. They went under paying the fines, and were immedietly scooped up and reopened. This happened in 2007 I believe

Jeff

Derek69SS
01-14-2010, 11:04 PM
My daughter is a left eye dominant right handed shooter as well. We are trying to fix that right now. When we go shooting I bought her some really nice shooting glasses and blacked out the left lens on them. This forces her to look with only her right eye. We do this for about an hour and then she takes them off for a little bit and she is slowly working the amount of time she can shoot right eyed up. Confused the heck right out of me why she was leaned so far over the gun to look through the sites when we first went.

Her being only 8 years old it is something that can be remedied yet with some practice.

JeffI wish I could do that, but there's no hope for me... my eyesight is terrible in the right eye, and near perfect in the left. :o

piette
01-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Ya, fortunately she is young so we can train her eye to go back to right eye dominant yet. Another reason I am glad I bought her a rifle at 8 years old, we were able to identify this at a very young age and can overcome it so she can shoot right eye-right handed eventually

Jeff

nolimitpkr
01-15-2010, 12:52 AM

Hey Bill what is a ballpark figure for one of those model 37's?? I have a buddy that has one that he wants to get rid of, it is in good but not great condition, and it's a 16 gauge by the way.

Thanks Brian.

Ray Barnes
01-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Ya, fortunately she is young so we can train her eye to go back to right eye dominant yet. Another reason I am glad I bought her a rifle at 8 years old, we were able to identify this at a very young age and can overcome it so she can shoot right eye-right handed eventually

Jeff

Jeff

I shot competitive skeet for a number of years and I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I would just put a small piece of gift wrapping tape (little smaller than the the diameter of a dime) on the lens left side lens of my glasses. This would let me see with both eyes open. It would just block out the end of my barrel with my left eye and force the right eye to take over. This might help your daughter a little better than totally blocking off the left lens. It will definitely help her judge the distance and speed better. Please don't take this as I'm trying to tell you what to do, just trying to help.
If your interested here are the steps to set it up for her.

Have her mount the gun as if she is getting ready to shoot.

Stand in front of her and site down the barrel as she aims the firearm.

Place the small piece of tape on the lens of her left eye that would cover the end of the barrel.

Herbie67SS454
01-15-2010, 07:35 AM
"Stand in front of her and site down the barrel as she aims the firearm. :eek:

And make double triple sure that the gun is unloaded.
I am sure you meant standing in front of her but still looking down the barrel from back to front.
My wife also is right handed but shoots left handed. She also catches with her left hand but also throws right handed.
She can write with either hand but prefers right.

BillsCamino
01-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Bill, have you noticed Ithaca Guns USA, is no longer and is now Ithaca Gun Company? The original Ithaca got nailed for manufacturing there own recievers and not paying the federal tax on each one of those recievers they made. They went under paying the fines, and were immedietly scooped up and reopened. This happened in 2007 I believe

Yes, it was 2007. :(
Hopefully the gun quality has not changed.
We still have my Dad's Ithaca 16 guage that he bought when he was 17. A GREAT gun...had to be re-blued once and had the firing pin replaced once. Spent thousands of hours afield.
Where I grew up in WNY, you're only allowed to deer hunt with a shotgun & slugs...or a pistol if licenced.
My one brother is deadly with his Ithaca 37 20 guage w/20" slug barrel and open sights. Always a head shot so he doesn't "waste any meat". :cool:

Sadly, I haven't been out hunting since my Dad passed in '87...miss those days...

Highway Star
01-15-2010, 08:48 AM
We still have my Dad's Ithaca 16 guage that he bought when he was 17. A GREAT gun...had to be re-blued once and had the firing pin replaced once. Spent thousands of hours afield.
Where I grew up in WNY, you're only allowed to deer hunt with a shotgun & slugs...or a pistol if licenced.
My one brother is deadly with his Ithaca 37 20 guage w/20" slug barrel and open sights. Always a head shot so he doesn't "waste any meat". :cool:

Sadly, I haven't been out hunting since my Dad passed in '87...miss those days...

NY may have some of the finest shotgunners for that exact reason. My last two taken in the Finger Lakes, were both head shots from better than 50 yards...with my 870 mag pump, 18" smooth barrel, open sights, and 3" magnum rifled slugs. I'm surgical with that thing up to about 100 yards. :D

Ray Barnes
01-15-2010, 09:29 AM
"Stand in front of her and site down the barrel as she aims the firearm. :eek:

And make double triple sure that the gun is unloaded.
I am sure you meant standing in front of her but still looking down the barrel from back to front.
My wife also is right handed but shoots left handed. She also catches with her left hand but also throws right handed.
She can write with either hand but prefers right.

This is why I don't like to respond to post.

Your right I shouldn't have assumed he practiced proper gun safety. But he did sound like he did.

I would hope that anyone that owns a gun or otherwise would have the enough sense to not look down the barrel of a gun without checking to see if it's not loaded. If you don't know how to check it, you shouldn't own it.

No, I didn't mean stand behind her. If he feels unsafe doing it...then don't.

When checking to see if a gun (shotgun,rifle,etc) has the proper fit for a person sooner or later you will have to stand in front of them to check for proper sight path.

piette
01-15-2010, 09:42 AM
You were safe making that assumption with me Ray. Even my 8 year old daughter has better firearms handling skills than many people i know. She knows how to check the chamber on every single firearm I own and she owns. All my semi auto pistols, my revolver, the pump shotguns, the bolt actions, the break action, and the lever action 30/30.

She is one gun safe little girl, she impresses all the guys down at the range every week with her gun handling skills. She makes me so proud.

Jeff

Ray Barnes
01-15-2010, 09:57 AM
I have two daughters (10 and 15) they both understand and respect our firearms.

I think it's great that you and your daughter share this activity. Mine don't show much interest but they do know the rules.

rak1
01-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Me too; I bat, and play my Gibson left handed but I bowl right handed. however, I can do almost every thing with both hands including writing. When I was younger they said my right eye was a lazy eye and they had me wearing a patch over the left eye for almost a year swatting tennis balls hanging from the celing with a plastic bat. Arg....

Me too. Do you bat righty or lefty?

Nice score by the way, D.

R66SS427
01-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Bill, what part of wesrern NY are you from? I hunt Allengany county (Centerville). Have family there. They have now opened it up to rifle.

BillsCamino
01-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Bill, what part of wesrern NY are you from? I hunt Allengany county (Centerville). Have family there. They have now opened it up to rifle.

Born/raised in Tonawanda (Buffalo).
Family owns quite a bit of property just south of Franklinville (Humphrey Center)...a few miles off of Rt 16. The property backs up on about a billion acres of State owned land.

Highway Star
01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Bill, we damn yankees need to start a club or something. :D

BillsCamino
01-15-2010, 02:05 PM
:D
I've been living in GA since '85...gave up my Yankeeship a long time ago.

classic
01-15-2010, 03:42 PM
I picked up a Winchester Defender 12 ga pump w/18 inch barrel all dressed out tactical including the spot light. Probably one of the best shooting 12 ga shotguns I have ever shot from the shoulder or hip! :)