PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Door Mechanism

oldguy64malibu
05-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Does anybody have a magic way of getting a door mechanism to open short of using a jaws of life. It is a 64 malibu convertible, passenger side door.
I have removed the door panel so that I can look inside and see the mechanism but I can't see inside of the mechanism to tell if something is broken. And if it is broken how do I remove it since I can't get the door open.
Am I destined to have a one door malibu ?
Thanks in advance.

shadowgray396
05-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Have you tried tripping the mechanism from inside the door. I would talk to a body guy and see what he suggest on how to get it open.

oldguy64malibu
05-08-2013, 06:35 AM
I have tried tripping the mechanism from the inside while someone on the outside was pulling on the door with no luck.
I sprayed the mechanism with WD40 and let it sit overnight so I will give it a go again.
If that doesn't work I will probably take your suggestion and drive the car to a body shop
to see if they can work some magic on it.
Thanks

oldguy64malibu
05-09-2013, 03:31 AM
Took it to the body shop and the guy couldn't get to open even with the door panel still off. Something must be broken inside the mechanism. My next and only step is to use the Dremel tool with a grinding stone to remove the rivet heads and hope that it comes apart in pieces.
Saw a replacement mechanism on E-Bay from Summit for about $69.00 w/free shipping
and one from Ecklers at same price, no free frt though. Any suggestions as to who might be best to deal with.
Thanks again

oldguy64malibu
05-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Finally got the door latch mechanism removed. Used a dremel tool and long drill bits to remove rivet heads and rectangular tabs. I was then able to pry the mechanism apart enough where the door would then release and open. With the door open, I then removed the three philips screws and finagled the mechanism out. I found a piece of broken plastic inside inside the mechanism jamming things up. It looks like a piece fro the ferrel used to guide the push/pull knob up and down. Ordered a new door latch from Ecklers.