PDA

View Full Version : front crank seal

John
03-04-2013, 08:27 AM
This weekend I replaced a leaky front crank seal. The old seal was a metal type ring. The replacement (a GM part from my Chevy dealer),had an appearance of a rubber type ring not the metal type. It is possible the core was metal however. At any rate, I was able to press this seal into the timing cover most of the way using my fingers. I tapped it in the rest of the way with a large diameter socket. My question is, this seal went in easier than I expected-Should I be concerned it's not as secure as a metal type outer ring? I'd hate to put it all back together just to have it pop out one day.

shadowgray396
03-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Stock timing cover or a chrome one? Sounds like it went in a little to easy.

John
03-05-2013, 06:28 PM
It was a Proform Chrome deal. I've been told the style I installed is common. I am still thinking of taking it out and replacing it with the metal type.

John
03-11-2013, 10:31 AM
After replacing the seal, I finally got the time to install the harmonic balancer this weekend just in time for the nice weather. Using a tool to press it back on is the way to go. I was able to rent it for $5 at my local Auto Zone. Once everything was assembled I cranked her over and went for a nice drive. The seal is tight in place and no leaks. Weather here was great. First time I've driven the car since November. Nice to get back out.

John
03-11-2013, 10:33 AM
By the way, I kept the GM replacement intact (the rubber coated one). I decided NOT to switch it out with the metal ring type. I've been told the rubber type is becoming more common. It's also a more expensive seal.

shadowgray396
03-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Glad it all worked out.