PDA

View Full Version : 1966 ignition lock cylinder

DonAlUnser
02-12-2013, 03:06 AM
I am having trouble getting the cyl. out of my switch. I turn to accy. push button through hole, turn more, cyl. won't come out. The dash strip has been cut in half at the switch hole. Could I have the wrong key? I have the wrong Protect O Plate. Do I need the correct key?

flash
02-12-2013, 11:16 AM
I wish I knew the answer but Im sure someone here can help you out .

BillsCamino
02-12-2013, 03:44 PM
If the key is turning the ignition tumbler it is the correct key.
As you mentioned...using the key, turn the ignition switch to ACC...then insert the end of a paperclip into the hole on the tumbler face while continuing to try and turn the key past ACC.
The lock assembly should pop out.

65MalibuSS
02-12-2013, 06:45 PM
I always did have a problem with this. Eventually it SHOULD come out?

DonAlUnser
02-13-2013, 12:35 AM
I suspect my switch has a problem since the dash strip was cut at the switch hole on the last restoration c.1990. I bought the car in '92. Everything is loose and sloppy with WD and I can feel the spring on the pin or whatever is behind the hole. Thanks for the replies, I've been fiddling with it for too long. hope somebody has a "hot tip" for me.

DonAlUnser
03-25-2013, 03:51 AM
I finally got it out by using a small allen wrench and a key ring on the key. with one hand pushing the allen wrench into the hole and a finger in the ring pulling out on the cylinder, I unscrewed the bezel with the other hand until it forced the cyl. out.