PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coatings.

DVSentinel
01-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Has anyone tried the Tech-line coatings or Cerakote?

I am currently building a 350 that came out of an 85 vette (not for my chevelle, that is a 454) and the heads are prone to cracking. Both advertise that they are "thermal barriers". Would this help with cracking problems?

I would just get Trick-Flow heads, but that takes money away from the Chevelle build.

flash
01-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Welcome DVSentinel ,Ive never used or even heard of those coatings but Im sure someone here knows of it .

Hank70SS
01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Can't find anything on Tech-line. For Cerakote it seems to be a brush on coating. If that's correct I wouldn't use it on a head. Yes a ceramic coating is thermal barrier. Problem is if you apply it to the outside of the head it can't radiate heat so it becomes trapped in the metal. Headers that are ceramic coated are coated inside and out so it protects the header from the hot exhaust gases. Maybe I'm missing something but that's my take on it.

Are the heads going back into a vette? If not I wouldn't worry about it. A vette engine compartment doesn't provide the best air flow so overheating of the heads is possible. Older Dodge vans had the same problem with their 318 V8's, cracks between the intake and exhaust valves on the rear cylinders. Cooling to the rear of the heads was poor because it was trapped inside that small engine compartment.

DVSentinel
01-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Spray on actually. For piston tops and combustion chambers only.

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/hi-performance/bs-internal-engine-coatings.html

It claims to be a wear resistance barrier as well as thermal.

No, the engine is going into a 82 Caprice Wagon. I need a tow vehicle and parts getter thats get better fuel milleage than a 3/4 Chevy Truck. Also I make several trips a month of around 600 miles round trip and will need to tow my Chevelle on those trips sometimes. So building it up as a torquer engine and trans, highway cruiser (I carry two dogs sometimes) and tow vehicle. My 92 Camaro was able to reach 30 mpg with a mild reprograming. With low stall torque converter, TPI, the wagon should be a good all around utility vehicle for me without the fuel costs of the Truck.

I am also using this build to learn and practice techniques needed when I build up the Chevelle. A '71 Malibu that I am going to make a SS clone (exterior) but very modern drivetrain.

Cerakot also has a heat transfer coating that is supposed help get heat out and stop it from coming back in.

I'm just new to such things and wanted to see if anyone else had tried similier.

Hank70SS
01-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Okay, sounds like you've done your research. I have no knowledge of either product so can't comment further.

Ms Grumpy
01-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Welcome DV. No knowledge on those companies. But would love to hear about what you decide to do.