PDA

View Full Version : Storing New Tires ?

flash
01-19-2013, 05:22 PM
What is the best way to store a set of new tires already mounted on wheels ?I have a set of 5 for my truck that Ive had in my shop about a year now and I have them stacked 5 high with cardboard between each one ,is there a better way to store them ?

Ms Grumpy
01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
I was taught many years ago that if you are going to store tires for any period of time you should:

1. put them in a dark plastic bag.

2. get as much air out of the bag as possible.

3. tape the bag closed tightly.

4. store in a cool, dry place.

When tires are driven on, the oils in the tires are distributed when the tires flex during normal use. When tires are stored for a long time without being driven on, outgassing occurs. This must be kept to minimum to avoid the tire drying out. Many people call this “dry-rot” and if you store your tires in a warm environment it can speed up the process of "dry-rot".

grandsport
01-19-2013, 06:33 PM
I hate out gassing .

BillsCamino
01-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Keep them out of the sun and laying flat (if already mounted) but off the concrete floor.
No real need to bag...just keep inflated to recommended pressure.

Ms Grumpy
01-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Keep them out of the sun and laying flat (if already mounted) but off the concrete floor.
No real need to bag...just keep inflated to recommended pressure.

Now why didn't someone tell me not to use a bag years ago ? lol

Derek69SS
01-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Bagging is really only necessary on sticky high-performance tires.

flash
01-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Well I did everything right except the one on the bottom is on the concrete floor ,I guess that one will be my spare . I will be getting it off the floor .