PDA

View Full Version : lower control arm question

SS Shaun
12-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Ok so i was talking to a friend of mine the other day because i was trying to figure out what to do next for my suspension. He told me i need to box my lower control arms because it is a weak point of the suspension. So i looked it up and didn't find much it was all for the rear control arm. Has anyone done that for your car? let me know what you have done so i can follow along as well :)

SS Shaun
12-21-2012, 11:43 AM
funny as i was typing this he sent me a link on what to do here is the link he sent me
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277180

Hank70SS
12-21-2012, 03:33 PM
I've read about others doing it but it's not real common. If you think about a 43 year old car there can be a lot of weak points. Like the frame rails where they curve out behind the engine and front wheels. Or the frame rail where the steering gearbox is bolted on. Not saying you shouldn't do it but I've seen broken suspension parts from one end of the car to the other. Just depends on what type of abuse the car saw in it's previous lives.

BillsCamino
12-21-2012, 03:40 PM
FYI...The OP in that link provided is HEAVY into Autocross with his Chevelle.
I believe Mike's won the Detroit Speed autocross event at Chevelle~abration twice. Probably the reason for a budget re-enforcement of his '71 LCAs.
I personally would install tubular.

SS Shaun
12-21-2012, 11:08 PM
yeah but tubular is $$$$$$ i just want to get the car running but i am replacing all the parts that i know get worn out like ball joints and bushings. so i figured if i am at it might as well do the boxing of the control arms. but if you guys think its ok to just leave it then i will leave it. again this car is 99% going to be street driven.

shane002
12-22-2012, 01:08 AM
funny as i was typing this he sent me a link on what to do here is the link he sent me.

shadowgray396
12-22-2012, 11:31 AM
yeah but tubular is $$$$$$ i just want to get the car running but i am replacing all the parts that i know get worn out like ball joints and bushings. so i figured if i am at it might as well do the boxing of the control arms. but if you guys think its ok to just leave it then i will leave it. again this car is 99% going to be street driven.

Unless you plan on raising the front end off the ground a lot, I don't think you need to box them. Like said above the weakest point is where the A arms connect to the frame. When I redid my frame I re-welded all of those area's before I finished my frame.