PDA

View Full Version : keeping the exterior clean

John
11-21-2012, 07:37 AM
I've heard many different opinions about the best way to maintain the exterior. I thought I'd ask and get some opinions. My questions are:

Wax: how often?
Clay bar: when to use it?
Washing: Water? Cleaners only?
Detailing Products: brand and type?
Chrome: best way to preserve it?

shadowgray396
11-21-2012, 04:42 PM
I wax 2 times a year, touch up when needed
Not had to use a clay bar yet, not a fan of them
Damp soft cloth or a california duster, No water
Meguiar's G-7014J Gold Class Carnauba Plus
For the tires I still expermenting with what I like. Nothing for me that makes the tires look wet, I like the more natural look.
Chrome I keep waxed and polished.
The dash pad I have been trying baby oil after I read it on here. Looks great so far.

Ms Grumpy
11-22-2012, 12:20 AM
I think you will find different opinions depending on car color.

Wax: two or three times depending on how often washed.
clay bar: never used one
Washing: Only wash in the shade, dry with microfiber over and over, then I will pull into sunlight and dry again to make sure there is NO water left. Use Mequiar's car wash.
Detailing: For me having a black car I love the finishing spray called ICE. Not the brand by Turtle Wax, you can only find it in the Auto Paint stores.
Chrome: The ICE works really well on the chrome too.
Dash: The baby oil thing is great, just make sure you wipe if off well. Thanks flash !

John
11-23-2012, 09:17 AM
I've heard many people say they do not use water to wash the car. It makes sense but it seems like you'd need a good washing from time to time to remove build up?

flash
11-23-2012, 12:05 PM
The no water thing is probably more for show cars that never really get dirty than for a driver type cars like mine .

Ms Grumpy
11-23-2012, 08:33 PM
The no water thing is probably more for show cars that never really get dirty than for a driver type cars like mine .

I do agree. The road grime would be hard to get off, and would seem like it would scratch the paint without water.

shadowgray396
11-23-2012, 09:50 PM
I may use water but it not out of a hose. Lots of soft damp rags and a bucket of water. My car is never driven in the rain, so road grime at this point.

Hank70SS
11-24-2012, 06:45 AM
I may use water but it not out of a hose. Lots of soft damp rags and a bucket of water. My car is never driven in the rain, so road grime at this point.

I use a bucket of warm water and a micro fiber cloth, no soap. The micro fiber will remove bugs and any grime. Try it, you'll be surprised how well it cleans. Of course I don't drive the car through mud puddles, that would take more water and probably soap. I do one section at a time and dry it right away.

Clay bars work good but unless your car sits outside it probably won't need it. I've used one on my truck and other car. The truck sits outside all the time and gets full of tree sap and other dirt that bakes into the wax. The clay bat removed all the grime and makes waxing a lot easier.

Ms Grumpy
11-24-2012, 07:59 AM
I have a question, 15 years ago I owned a light silver car. The car sat outside and about every 4 months I would notice that the car looked dingy. Someone suggested a product called color back to get all the "grime" off the car. I tried it and it really cleaned up the paint. Now I have a car that is 4 years old and is a lighter colored silver and I was wondering if anyone has used Color Back on one of the newer cars. I know the paints and clear coats have changed over the years and I was wondering if it damages the paint. Thanks for your input.

shadowgray396
11-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Color back is a light rubbing compound cleaner wax, I have used it on many cars to clean oxidation off the paint. I used it on my red truck at least once a year. I used it on our white company trucks with good results, but use a non scratch pad so I don't get swirl marks. I would try it on a small spot down low where it won't show first. A good cleaner wax would also work about the same. I have used a light polishing compound before, but have had it show swirl marks on a black car.

Ms Grumpy
04-04-2013, 09:56 AM
I happened to stop at a car wash the other day and in the next stall was 3 Harleys. So as I let Jacob wash the van I started talking to the guys with the bikes, my kids say I talk to everyone. Anyway, this guy does car restoration and I asked him what kind of wax he used on the cars he has worked on. He said he only used Mothers with Carnauba Wax. That is a popular answer, but then he said he only uses "Cheesecloth" not microfiber towels.

I have never heard of using Cheesecloth. Has anyone ever tried it ?

flash
04-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Ive never heard of using cheesecloth ,wonder what the pros and cons are and where do you buy it ?

grandsport
04-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Pretty cheesy way of removing wax if you ask me.

Ms Grumpy
04-04-2013, 07:10 PM
You can find cheesecloth almost anywhere. It is usually 100% cotton. Many people use it when cooking, that is how I use it. It is great for straining jams, extracting the liquid from mozzarella when making mozzarella balls, many use it when making a broth because (like with chicken) you have so many small bones and the tightly woven cloth catches almost everything. I have found cheesecloth at K-Mart, Walmart, grocery stores, cooking stores. If I do remember it can be kinda expensive, but maybe no more than microfiber towels.

72BLACKNWHITE
07-18-2013, 01:31 PM
I tried soap and water on my black car and never again i spent hours getting spots out now i just dust and detail spray. i am a huge fan of all turtle products. but the bes wax i found is wolfgang carbuna wax. i used to us turtle then switch to meguiers and now to wolfgang . for chrome i use turtle quick wax or ICE . for tires i actually use barkeepers freind with bleach if i want the natural look. but for wet look i use black magic tire wax . the stuff realy clings and looks very wet for a long time. although most shows i go to my car is rolled in and out of a trailer. so it dosnt get much road time. although the wife and i will take it out to dinner or to the drive in once in a while. yes i said drive in . for the interior i use vinager and water on the windows. lexol on the seats and panelling . i have read about baby oil but am stil sceptical . on another note has anyone had problems with sticky steering wheels? i dont put any product on it but it has gotten sticky this year?

Ms Grumpy
07-18-2013, 08:39 PM
I agree with the soap issue. If you use any, it has to be very, very little. grandsport what did you use ?

Ken Hayes
11-01-2013, 10:34 PM
I use strictly only Adams Polishes products.

A good way to tell if you should clay bar your car, is to put your hand into a plastic sandwich bag and go over the car with it. If it feels sandy or you can hear the friction then its time to clay it. After its clayed it will feel like a new babys a--......I kid you not.

ProStreet67
11-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Ran across some new stuff- Surf City. Great stuff, even products for chrome and aluminum !

70SS454
11-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Make sure that clay bar has never touched anything but a clean car and clean hands or it will really scratch the finish.

72BLACKNWHITE
12-19-2013, 12:44 PM
not a big fan of the clay bar. had one bad instance with it . i like the cheese cloth it pulls all dust with wax instead of bunching up.