PDA

View Full Version : rust on frame

Questadg
10-18-2012, 12:18 PM
I found a frame that I am considering buying for my 68. Problem is the guy had it sitting on the ground so there is some rust on it. Should I steer away from this or is there a reliable way to tell if the rust is too bad that it should not be used. It looks like some surface rust and I do not see any flaking, deep stuff. Any suggestions?

SS Shaun
10-18-2012, 12:33 PM
only way to tell is post some pics. if its just surface rust wire bush it or wire wheel it down to bare metal and paint it if its worst then that might want to pass on it

RBeckman
10-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Take a awl and see if you can poke through it....or a hammer and screw driver with a couple good hits...if it goes through, run and don't look back.

shadowgray396
10-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Take a awl and see if you can poke through it....or a hammer and screw driver with a couple good hits...if it goes through, run and don't look back.

Frame sitting on the ground could mean trouble. Need to really look at it to see how deep the rust is on it.

Questadg
10-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the input. I think I will make an offer since the car is still on the frame-minus front clip. I will tell the guy that I will pay him more if I can use the frame. Lots of good parts.

Should the frame still be saved, does anyone suggest rust remover, then primer or get to bare metal, then primer or something else. Or any other suggestions?

shadowgray396
10-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Sand blast it if you want to get all the rust off. Rust removers or converter products really don't do a good job. Look at eastwood products for there frame paints.

http://www.eastwood.com/undercar-drivetrain.html

Hank70SS
10-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Another good option is galvanizing, if you can find a galvanizer in your area. Cost should be in the $300-$500 range. They dip the entire frame to remove all rust, inside and out, then dip it to galvanize it inside and out. Never have to worry about rust again. You can leave the frame like that or there are special primers that will stick to galvanized metal so it can be painted.

It's less work overall and removes the rust inside the frame that you can't.