PDA

View Full Version : SS replacement dash paint code needed

JanS
10-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Just installed a new replacement SS dash in my 71 SS from OPG. I need to paint my ashtray, glove box door and the piece under the steering column. Does anyone know what the paint match is for this? Code, brand, etc. Called OPG and the guy I talked to was an idiot. He told me any black will match.

Hank70SS
10-07-2012, 05:16 PM
SEM brand Landau Black. Online or most automotive paint supply stores. Some auto parts stores may have it but your best bet is a paint supply store. SEM Landau Black will have the correct level of gloss to match the rest of the dash.

shadowgray396
10-07-2012, 10:13 PM
I would also use Sem Plastic Adhesion Promoter before spraying on the black. I used the SEM brand Landau Black on my glove box and ash tray and it was a perfect match.

JanS
10-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Thanks! I'll pick some up today. You would think OPG would know this??? Thanks again!

Hank70SS
10-08-2012, 12:14 PM
I would also use Sem Plastic Adhesion Promoter before spraying on the black. I used the SEM brand Landau Black on my glove box and ash tray and it was a perfect match.

Good point Ray, I forgot about that. I used DupliColor adhesion promoter. Whatever brand an adhesion promoter is a good idea when spraying plastic or vinyl. Make sure your old parts are good and clean first.

JanS
10-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Picked up the paint and sprayed the three pieces. The paint does not match the dashboard. It might match the dash pad but isn't even close to the dashboard. OPG gave me a phone number for the company that makes the dashboards. Probably just to get rid of me. When you dail the number it gives a recording that says the mailbox is full.

Hank70SS
10-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Who made the dash, last I heard Dynacorn was the only company reproducing that dash. It's the dash both shadowgray396 and I used and we both used SEM Landau Black #15013 and got, well at least I did, a perfect match. What's wrong? Not the right level of gloss or something else.

I used SEM Light Saddle on my console, seat backs and kick panels, perfect match to original colors. Also used SEM Dark Saddle on the parts of my dash that are not black and that was also perfect. My interior is 70 Saddle or Light Saddle so I have a lot of different shades and colors. A black interior is much easier, everything is the same color.

JanS
10-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Hank,

No the gloss is there it's just a different shade of black. It's almost a perfect color match to the vinyl dash pad but not the dash. I e mailed the company today and if I hear back I'll let you know. The company that made these for OPG is called G T Restoration. They might just be a suppier because the box says 70 72 Chevelle dash assembly made in Taiwan.

shadowgray396
10-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Mine was also a good match. You could spray the whole dash with the SEM black and at least you could match it down the road if you had to touch it up. Sorry to hear it was not a good match.

JanS
10-10-2012, 01:07 PM
This is the paint match for the OPG dash assembly 70-72 Chevelle, part # CH23644. They say Dupont 99L is the correct color match

Hank70SS
10-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Hope the Dupont paint works out for you.

shadowgray396
10-10-2012, 07:19 PM
This is the paint match for the OPG dash assembly 70-72 Chevelle, part # CH23644. They say Dupont 99L is the correct color match

You may have to have it mixed and sprayed with a spray gun

JanS
10-10-2012, 08:00 PM
I'll stop down the paint supply house tomorrow and see if they can mix it as a plastic paint. They can fill rattle cans with any paint you need. Be a lot cheaper than buying a pint and spraying it myself.

jaybodine59
11-04-2012, 07:41 PM
How did it turn out???