PDA

View Full Version : Detailing your car

Ms Grumpy
09-29-2012, 08:23 PM
As I was reading my September 17, 2012, Autoweek, I came across this article and I thought that I might share some of excerpts from the article.

Originally printed September 17, 2012
Autoweek
Article by: Jake Lingeman

Detailing a car, new or old, takes patience, practice, product and a lot of time. "Our Ultimate Spa package takes at least a day to complete," says Matt Lifter, owner of Motor City Auto Spa in the Detroit suburb of Roal Oak, Mich. "Our underbody rust protection alone takes two employees a full day."

They don't skimp on the time at Motor City, and they definitely don't skimp on the product. Back and side rooms of the brick building are filled from floor to ceiling with every sort of wax, polish, paint and dye you could imagine. In addition, they don't just use the mixes from the factories - sometimes they improvise.

"After years of playing with the stuff," says Lifter, "we've found mixtures of cleaners that have made us happy. We do some touch-up paints like that as well."

Lifter offered us some tips on home detailing, starting with one main point: If you don't know what you're doing, leave it to the professionals. Picking a compound and rubbing just won't cut it, except for your paint, which will be cut deeply.

"We spend a good amount of time fixing things owners have messed up," says Lifter. Motor City can go over damaged areas with a buffer, but only so much can be repaired.

Tools for a decent detail job include a selection of brushes with different strength bristles, a carpet cleaner with a hand tool, a buffer of some sort - if you're an expert - and, finally, a mountain of soft rags.

Other tips for detailing in the home garage include using denatured alcohol for sap and bug stains, fine-grade steel wool on chrome accents, a Christmas tree brush to get the inside of wheels and a non-ammonia-based cleaner for navigation screens.

"Also, don't dry your car with a terrycloth towel. It will scratch the clear coat," says Lifter. "We use a California blade and microfiber towels."

When it comes to paying for expensive cleaning products over the cheap stuff, Lifter only has this to say: "I've never seen a product last longer than a year. Any wax or spray that claims to keep your car protected for three or four years will need to be reapplied much sooner."

The statement was said with confidence and a wry smile, but even if not, we're inclined to believe him. A local Detroit TV station named Motor City Auto Spa the best full-service detailer three years in a row.

I was wondering what words of wisdom the members here have to share about detailing you car. Is there any product that has worked wonders, or that you swear by when detailing your car.

Also, for many of us we are getting ready to store our cars for the winter. Any words of advice.....

flash
09-30-2012, 09:00 AM
I am terrible at detailing our cars as they get driven so much most of the time they get a lick and a promise .I like bleechwhite to clean my tires and white vinyl seats and door panels .I like to use baby oil from the dollar store on my dashpad ,door panels ,gaskets ,and sunvisirs as well as the steering wheel. Just wipe it on with a micro fiber towel and wipe the excess back off . I like the Meguirs wax products but if Im short on time I like Turtle Wax clear spray on and wipe off stuff ,dont remember the actual name . I like Meguires Hotshine on the tires but use whatever I happen to have on hand .

Ms Grumpy
09-30-2012, 07:41 PM
Baby oil ? Really ? I know that Joans car always looks amazing. Doesn't the baby oil leave it too oily ? Do you think that it has helped save your dash and prevent cracks ?

flash
09-30-2012, 08:24 PM
It definitely keeps the door and trunk weatherstrip gaskets nice and soft and the seats and dash soak it up pretty good before I wipe it down.

Ms Grumpy
10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
I am going to have to try it. A lot cheaper than some of the product out there, and smells better than some of them too.

BillsCamino
10-02-2012, 06:51 AM
I too use baby oil lightly on the dash pad...been working well for many years.

Ms Grumpy
10-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Why am I the last one to know. You use it on the trunk weatherstripping too ? Do you get any build up ? I only ask that because baby oil attracts every little piece of fuzz, even if you wipe it off.

flash
10-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Yes ,I also use it on the trunk weatherstrip with no fuzz.

shadowgray396
10-02-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm going to have to try it.

72BLACKNWHITE
11-30-2012, 07:08 AM
What kind of waxes do you guys use? as of now i have only been using spray on detailers, and never "washed" the trailer queen .... it is hard with the deep black i have to use a wax and not get a glossy wipe down.

SS Shaun
11-30-2012, 07:31 AM
wow i have detailed many cars but never heard of baby oil!! i am going to have to try it when i get my new dash pad and seats..lol

Ms Grumpy
11-30-2012, 07:24 PM
It seems to work great. I did it before I put my car in storage, hoping she looks and smells wonderful when I get her back.

John
12-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Rather than use baby oil, use mineral oil. That's what baby oil is without the baby smell perfume.

Derek69SS
12-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm terrible at detailing... most times I just do the drive-thru carwash and hand dry with a chamois.

Interior gets dusted and vacuumed, and soapy water on the white vinyl only where it needs it.

Under the hood just gets repainted when I replace the engine every few years. :D

Ms Grumpy
12-05-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm terrible at detailing... most times I just do the drive-thru carwash and hand dry with a chamois.

Interior gets dusted and vacuumed, and soapy water on the white vinyl only where it needs it.

Under the hood just gets repainted when I replace the engine every few years. :D

I like your thinking Derek.

grandsport
12-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Why would one replace a motor when it gets dirty?

Derek69SS
12-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Dirt has nothing to do with it... each successive engine has had ~50% more power than the previous one. :)

I usually make it look pretty when I have things apart, but then it gets dirty the first time I get caught in rain, which is typically within 2 weeks of having it finished.

adam24
12-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Other tips for detailing in the home garage include using denatured alcohol for sap and bug stains, fine-grade steel wool on chrome accents, a Christmas tree brush to get the inside of wheels and a non-ammonia-based cleaner for navigation screens.

Ms Grumpy
12-21-2012, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the tips Adam.

flash
12-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Adam ,I need to try some of those tips.

shadowgray396
12-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Great tips

Ms Grumpy
04-04-2013, 09:51 AM
OK, so it is almost time to get my car out of storage and I have a couple of questions.

flash, you had an awesome suggestion with using the baby oil to keep the dash from drying up. I was wondering if you ever had a problem with it "burning" or lightening up the dash when the car is left out in the hot sun. I know that you said to wipe it off immediately, which I did, but should I clean it with something else, just to make sure that I didn't leave too much baby oil on the dash ?

flash
04-04-2013, 10:33 AM
I never clean the dash ,just wipe it down with a very little baby oil or mineral oil if your prefer no odor and wipe it off with a dry towel or cloth .My dash is unrestored original and still looks good .

Ms Grumpy
04-04-2013, 07:16 PM
I just asked because I was a little concerned after talking to a friend who said he had used an oil on his dash. He said he left a little too much and it make little grey spots on his dash. He wasn't sure what kind of oil he used for sure. It never hurts to ask. And I trust you flash.

b0b
08-09-2014, 08:19 AM
Ok Guys - my expertise is restoring cars without having to repaint them. You would be amazed at what you can do with the proper tools and knowledge.

Detailing is an industry with ALOT of misinformation.. There are a lot of home remedies that are used that are not good for your paint. Furthermore, in my experience, about 95% of people wash their cars incorrectly causing swirls and scratches to be instilled to the paint.

Also, many products that are sold in stores are not going to produce the results that you are looking for. There are tons of online sites to get your detailing products and the costs are not much different than the products you see in stores and the quality is a night and day difference.

So if anyone has any specific questions regarding to anything cosmetic (interior and exterior) please let me know. I would be more than happy to help out.

Here is a QUICK review of what products I have found to be the most successful for their particular jobs...

Clay: Nanoskin Pads / Towels

Polish: Menzerna 4500

Compound: Meguiars 101 (found at some Autozones actually)

Wax: I don't use wax any longer... But Collinite 845 was my go to wax

Sealant: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint sealant / CarPro Hydro 02

Coating: like all I have tried... Opti-coat, CQuartz are two favorites

Microfiber towels (so important) : Microfiber Madness towels

Wash Mitts: The Wookie Fist available online at Autogeek

Interior: interiors are all different and each product can react differently to different materials. I try a mild All Purpose Cleaner first and move up as needed.

That was as basic as I could keep it without breaking into a ten page post. If you have ANY questions please let me know!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/a8aqa5a7.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/tymesu9u.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/ymu7epep.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/5ymase6e.jpg

b0b
08-09-2014, 08:28 AM
OK, so it is almost time to get my car out of storage and I have a couple of questions.

flash, you had an awesome suggestion with using the baby oil to keep the dash from drying up. I was wondering if you ever had a problem with it "burning" or lightening up the dash when the car is left out in the hot sun. I know that you said to wipe it off immediately, which I did, but should I clean it with something else, just to make sure that I didn't leave too much baby oil on the dash ?

While baby oil might work, it certainly isn't your best option.. There are products made for this purpose. Get some 303 protection http://www.autogeek.net/16oz.html . Try it on small inconspicuous area first and if you like the results, apply it to entire dash.

chevymaher
08-09-2014, 09:24 AM
I been using tire shine on the dash of my van for 10 years. It stopped cracking and looks like new. It seemed to do alot better job than the dash stuff I used.

Quadracer392
08-09-2014, 12:52 PM
That 303 Aerospace protectant is amazing stuff. That's the only thing I use now for interiors or anything that is plastic or vinyl and exposed to sunlight.

Ken Hayes
08-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Last year I had a mark on one of my hood stripes..........so I said to myself, no problem, I'll just use a little polishing compound and it'll be ok. Boy what a cluster----, I ended up with !!

I ended up talking to Brian Miller from the Chevelle Club of Michigan and he said I can fix that for you....how you gonna do that........I can fix it for you !! So he came over and introduced me to Adams Polishes Products.....long story short, the stripe looked like brand new, not a flaw anywhere to be seen...(ask Nancy, she has seen my car). Since then the only stuff I use is Adams Polishes Products http://www.adamspolishes.com/

Ms Grumpy
08-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Black cars are always fun to clean. I was using a finishing product called "ICE", I found it at an auto paint store. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it again. Turtle wax has a product called Ice and it sucks.

I am going to have to try some of your suggestions. Are most of these products available in Brick and Morter stores or am I going to have to order them online.

Ms Grumpy
08-09-2014, 09:13 PM
What is the best thing to use on glass. I have a spot that seems to be greasy. No matter what I do it seems like I cannot get it clean.

Ken Hayes
08-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Only place in Michigan is 14 1/2 mile and Orchard Lake Rd. Big performance place on west side of Orchard Lk. Rd. to get Adams Polishes or go online.

b0b
08-10-2014, 03:03 PM
I am going to have to try some of your suggestions. Are most of these products available in Brick and Morter stores or am I going to have to order them online.

Most of these products are available online only... Google Autogeek, Detailed image, carpro USA, to find these.

What is the best thing to use on glass. I have a spot that seems to be greasy. No matter what I do it seems like I cannot get it clean.

Stoners glass cleaner is good, as well as Griots glass cleaner. Both of those are available at your local auto parts store like autozone.

My favorite is Pinnacle Cleaner and rain repellent. I don't need to use my wipers in the rain when I'm going over 40 mph. It beads water very well.

If you have stubborn spots on your windshield you can try claying the windshield or even using a razor blade over the stubborn area.

Ms Grumpy
08-11-2014, 08:28 AM
I never thought about using a razor blade. I will stop by my local auto parts store and look for those products. Thank you very much.

I am sure that I will come up with another question. lol