PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know....

rak1
01-06-2010, 10:28 AM
So if I get a paint by numbers Camino paint set do I have to use the paints in the kit, or can I change the colors to House of Colors and still be correct? I'm sorry my wife made me do it.....:)

grumpy
01-06-2010, 10:30 AM
House of kolors wont be numbers correct :p

1969 El Camino Dan
01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Paint codes on the Trim or Cowl tag are specific mix to match Factory GM color chips.
Other colors may not be "Correct" but they might be "Right" if by that you mean - That's what I like!!

Dan

rak1
01-06-2010, 11:52 AM
House of kolors wont be numbers correct :p
I knew Grumpy would understand....:beer:

Highway Star
01-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Yup...matching numbers is matching numbers is matching numbers. You're creating a paper trail of illegitimacy when you keep the invoices from paint that does not follow the book.

rak1
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Yup...matching numbers is matching numbers is matching numbers. You're creating a paper trail of illegitimacy when you keep the invoices from paint that does not follow the book.
true, but I was thinking if for some reason you go with the factory correct color and something happens such as you get a paint chip, or scratch getting a matching touch-up could be a problem with an old paint code. Even getting the same shade can be difficult so your saying if your car was being judged it would cost you points. Shouldn't you be marked down just for a repaint then?

Hank70SS
01-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Depends on what you're being judged on. For a factory correct restoration you're not marked down for a repaint if the color is correct. Now a repaint will make a car not qualify as a survivor. I think only a small percentage, like 10%, can be repainted and still be considered a survivor. Factory correct and survivor are two totally separate things.