PDA

View Full Version : Some '67 Camino Pictures

rak1
01-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I hope to get it out of the garage this year!

http://www.chevelleforum.net/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=60
http://www.chevelleforum.net/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=59
http://www.chevelleforum.net/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=58
http://www.chevelleforum.net/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=62

grumpy
01-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Robert,

How are you loading the pics ? They are not appearing in the post.

rak1
01-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Can you see them now?

How the Dakota Digital package looks with power.

http://www.chevelleforum.net/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=61

Yep, I need a two inch Cowl hood!

http://www.chevelleforum.net/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=63

rak1
01-05-2010, 10:09 AM
My other toy.

http://www.chevelleforum.net/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=64

rak1
01-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I can see them when I'm logged in but not as a non member. Can anyone else see them?

66BuickSpecial
01-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Last night they were just links. They worked when I clicked on them in the original post.
Now they show up in the post as images.

rak1
01-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Cool! So 66BuickSpecial you can see them now? I used the BB Code to make them show up; before I was using the URL and it didn't seem to work using it.

66BuickSpecial
01-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Yep, they all show up just fine.:D

I typically just copy the url and then click on the image icon in the message toolbar above and it works fine.

Make sure you delete the "http://" that pops up automatically so that you don't end up with a duplicate.

Or you can just add before the image URL and after it, if you'd rather.

1966_L78
01-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Looks like a nice project...

Are you sure you need the cowl hood? A drop base air cleaner would gain some clearance, and the hood has a natural bow to it that adds quite a bit of clearance in the center...

Highway Star
01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Robert,

How are you loading the pics ? They are not appearing in the post.

x2? I can't see them either

rak1
01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Looks like a nice project...

Are you sure you need the cowl hood? A drop base air cleaner would gain some clearance, and the hood has a natural bow to it that adds quite a bit of clearance in the center...
I could give it a try; I'm two inches over the top of the hood (SS style) now, so I would need a 2 1/2 inch drop. Is that possible with a drop base? It's strange sometimes I see the pictures as a non member and sometimes I don't. Anyhow, the pictures are also in my gallery and that's where the links point too. It's amazing you can spend 20k in parts and still have a car you cannot drive on the streets legally. I need about 9k in paint and body, it has open headers now, and I need some other stuff before shes done. I ran out of money last year but I'm hoping I can get it done by the end of this year.

grumpy
01-05-2010, 12:58 PM
They will work if you don't IMG and just post the links. Might be something screwy since your hot linking to your gallery.

rak1
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Here are some attachments like Grumpy suggested. Thank for the kind words...

Highway Star
01-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Now I can see them. Nice ride man, engine looks GOOD!!!!!

rak1
01-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Now I can see them. Nice ride man, engine looks GOOD!!!!!
Thanks Highway Star!

1966_L78
01-05-2010, 02:55 PM
I could give it a try; I'm two inches over the top of the hood (SS style) now, so I would need a 2 1/2 inch drop. Is that possible with a drop base?.

Did you measure an actual distance to the hood, or just take a string from fender to fender?
You are running the 435HP Edel crate, so that uses an Air Gap Vortec intake, right?.. Edel lists the A= 4.2" and B= 5.25"

Thats not quite 3/4" taller than a Performer intake... I think I used a 5" K&N element on my '66 ( Small Block/Performer intake), but that was years ago ( It might have actually been a 6" element)...

I had a BB in the '66 for the past 15 years (well, 12 years until I sold it). I ran an Edelbrock Dual Quad #5420 (?), which Edelbrock lists as A=3.95 B=4.65 in... Thats 1/4" shorter than yours, but its on a BB, which I think has a higher front/rear sealing edge on the block ( but I could be wrong). This was with the Edelbrock oval air cleaner (NON-drop base) with a 2.5" filter... All this cleared the stock hood just fine ( I measured, and wanted to go larger, but Edel/K&N didn't make a taller filter)...

With the hood off or open, it looked like it wouldn't clear ( like yours), but in actuality it cleared with ease ( I checked the clearance with clay)

...cannot drive on the streets legally. I need about 9k in paint and body, it has open headers now, and I need some other stuff before shes done. I ran out of money last year but I'm hoping I can get it done by the end of this year.

Buy some inexpensive mufflers and attach them right to the headers... And get that thing on the road... Body and paint is nice, but not necessary for fun...

I have had some of my cars down for rebuilding for many years, and it sux... I finally decided that I would buy a second car, so that I had something to play with until the first was done. of course, now I ended up changing stuff on the second car...

Andy69
01-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I can't see them either ? ?

Herbie67SS454
01-05-2010, 03:21 PM
I could give it a try; I'm two inches over the top of the hood (SS style) now, so I would need a 2 1/2 inch drop. Is that possible with a drop base? It's strange sometimes I see the pictures as a non member and sometimes I don't. Anyhow, the pictures are also in my gallery and that's where the links point too. It's amazing you can spend 20k in parts and still have a car you cannot drive on the streets legally. I need about 9k in paint and body, it has open headers now, and I need some other stuff before shes done. I ran out of money last year but I'm hoping I can get it done by the end of this year.

I have an airgap intake on my 454 in the 67 with a 770SA carb.
Stock SS hood fits just fine with a drop base air cleaner. The threaded rod just sticks up approx 3/16" from the top of the carb.
Hope this helps ya out.

rak1
01-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I can't see them either ? ?
Andy, It seems to be hit and run on gallery attachments; I added Thumbnails on post #13 so you should be able to see them now. Tony, I'll try a dropbase to see if it helps; I had the SS hood on it before and it was hitting on the air cleaner way before it closed. Anything is better then having to buy another hood and I can pick up a base for under $10. Thanks everyone for the help and support!

classic
01-06-2010, 09:08 AM
I have always loved the '67 El Camino and that is what got me re-energized in my old car hobby in 1993! Good luck with the project as they are totally worth it when complete. Mine ended up with a 396 backed with a M-21 4 spd.

CG

1966_L78
01-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Andy, It seems to be hit and run on gallery attachments; I added Thumbnails on post #13 so you should be able to see them now. Tony, I'll try a dropbase to see if it helps; I had the SS hood on it before and it was hitting on the air cleaner way before it closed. Anything is better then having to buy another hood and I can pick up a base for under $10. Thanks everyone for the help and support!

I can see the pictures everytime ( which is good, because my work blocks alot of photo-storage sites)...

Personal choice, I preffer the stock SS hood over Cowl hood any day ( but thats just me), especially the '67 SS hood.

Lots of fab work, but I'd consider modifying the SS hood somehow ( building the cowl scoop between the bulges for the extra clearance, etc) before I'd put a generic cowl hood on... But sometimes, it might be the easiest ( and least expensive)...

I'd say the drop-base is at least 1 to 1-1/2 lower, plus that aircleaner on yours looks like it sits pretty high on the carb ( maybe an inch from bottom of filter to the ac mounting surface on carb), I don't remember mine sitting up that much off the carb ( but it does have to clear the accelerator pump on the Edel carb, so it can't be flush)...

:)

rak1
01-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the help Tony and I agree 100% I don't want to buy another Hood if I can avoid it and I like the sleeper look of the SS hood. I'm planning on going by Summit tomorrow and buying a 14 inch drop base and giving it a try this weekend.
I can see the pictures everytime ( which is good, because my work blocks alot of photo-storage sites)...

Personal choice, I preffer the stock SS hood over Cowl hood any day ( but thats just me), especially the '67 SS hood.

Lots of fab work, but I'd consider modifying the SS hood somehow ( building the cowl scoop between the bulges for the extra clearance, etc) before I'd put a generic cowl hood on... But sometimes, it might be the easiest ( and least expensive)...

I'd say the drop-base is at least 1 to 1-1/2 lower, plus that aircleaner on yours looks like it sits pretty high on the carb ( maybe an inch from bottom of filter to the ac mounting surface on carb), I don't remember mine sitting up that much off the carb ( but it does have to clear the accelerator pump on the Edel carb, so it can't be flush)...

:)

1966_L78
01-07-2010, 04:23 PM
different angle than your picture, but here you can barely see the Edelbrock carb at all...

, RPM air-gap, 5" tall filter, and I still have more room under the hood... Of course, this is one my '70 with the domed SS hood... I think its the cheap Summit base too...

http://chevelleforum.net/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=82

Boy do I need a newer picture ( that was while it was in the body shop)...