PDA

View Full Version : Manual steering box

70SS454
03-25-2012, 03:16 PM
I have an original 1970 chevelle SS 454 and my old manual steering box is worn out and can't be adjusted any more. I was looking for a replacement and it gave me ratio options. I am not sure which I need....16:1, 20:1, or 24:1. Can anyone give me some information on this? I am going to stay with manual steering for now.

Ms Grumpy
03-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Find Ray. If he doesn't respond, I would send him a PM.

shadowgray396
03-25-2012, 08:32 PM
You can have your original rebuilt and put it back in the car, Definitely not Quick-Ratio gear box. Now might be the time to up grade to a quick ratio gear box gives you more feel of the road. There should be some numbers on the unit that can be looked up to check what ratio it is.

But here is some info, not an expert in this area so I could be wrong on some of this.

The SS's came with 16:1

The standard Malibu power gear was a 17.5:1 straight ratio.

The Malibu SS power gear was 16:1 on center with 12.4:1 near full lock. This gear was known as variable ratio. Somewhat faster on center than the standard gear. But the ratio speeds up as you turn toward full lock. This results in less turns full lock to full lock.

If you want a gear that is quick on center with just somewhat more steering effort I would suggest the Jeep Grand Cherokee (1982 1/2 through 1998) which was a 12.4:1 straight ratio.

Hank70SS
03-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Good info Ray. I was going to suggest a quick ratio but if he stays with manual steering how hard will the steering be? Not sure what it would be like with manual steering, that's why I didn't want to say. I'd like to upgrade to a quick ratio box but I have power steering.

70SS454
03-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Check me on this... The higher the first number, the quicker the turn ratio. Meaning is more responsive with less turning of the wheel. Also gives you less turns to lock? This gives you better road feel. But, is it more difficult to manually turn?
I just like to cruise around and lay into the throttle now and then...not track racing or anything like that. I want to stay with the manual steering box because it came from the factory like that.
I appreciate the help.

Alexbait
02-18-2013, 11:53 PM
hi everyone please does anyone know where I can buy a new s10 manual steering box? Who makes the best one?
Looking for your reply here,.

Click here (http://www.metalrecyclers-brisbane.com.au/scrap-cars/)

carpoor
02-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Mullins maybe? Not 100% sure, but do know they offer a wide variety.