PDA

View Full Version : Going all the way

314Chevelle
03-20-2012, 04:46 PM
I've decided to not cut corners & do a frame all. I figure with all the work I'm doing,theres no reason not to go all the way & have a nice car top to bottom for years to come. If any of you have any advice of how u pulled your body from the frame in a 2 car garage, I'll really appreciate some pointers. It's a 67 2dr hardtop & I'd like to get it up high enough to pull the frame out with wheels on. The front fenders, hood,trunk & doors will be off so it'll just be the body. Thanks in advance.

314Chevelle
03-20-2012, 07:06 PM
I think I may go this route but just being a little more cautious. Lol. I'm not to comfortable with a car on stilts. Check out this video & tell me if u all have any better suggestions.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z7IzAdUk70&sns=em

Ms Grumpy
03-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Oh. I am not comfortable with moving the stands around. Just my opinion. I know there has to be a better/safer way.

314Chevelle
03-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Yeah I'm looking for other alternatives. Its not to bad if done right. I've done a 62 Tbird in a similar way except the wheels & suspension were off & it was just dropping down the frame & working it out from under the car. We had more stands too instead of using 4 by 4's.

shadowgray396
03-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Do you have an engine hoist or have a friend who does? Hook on to it from the seat belt mounts inside the car and lift it up if you don't have an interior into it. If you can get 2 it can be hook onto at the firewall and on the back where the back and lift it up above the frame. You can hook up to the body like I did just using come alongs, on this lift I had braces up to the rafter of the shop for support. I built a body dollie out of wood to move the body around the garage. If you check my photo's you will see my body on it in the body tear down folder.

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy58/shadowgray/Body%20Shop/Photos%20in%2008/Picture011.jpg

314Chevelle
03-20-2012, 10:30 PM
yes I have a cherry picker. I saw that method used on a convertible but not on a hard top so i wasnt sure how i was going to position the boom to get a even lift.My Garage is dry walled so my wife would probably kill me if I cut it out for a hoist. Lol. I'll give the cherry picker a shot & I'm gonna borrow your idea for a body Dollie. I plan on pulling the body this weekend & will let u all know how it goes. Any other pointers will be appreciated & thanks bud.