PDA

View Full Version : Still wondering...

Hank70SS
01-04-2010, 10:42 AM
if I have a job. They announced last year the group I was working in would no longer exist. Depending on what you were working on at the time some people were transferred immediately and some would continue doing the current job through the end of the year.

Since I was training people in India, basically training my replacements, I continued doing the same job. Well the new year is here, my boss or former boss has been pretty much AWOL for the last 2 months. He's in NC, I'm in MI and I haven't heard anything from for months. If I work for someone else in a different group no one is saying anything.

Guess I'll continue pretending I'm working and have stuff to do, which I don't. We'll I do have an online class tomorrow through Friday. No one has said I'm no longer welcome so I'll do that. I hate this feeling of not knowing. If I'm going to get laid off then let me know. Don't want to get laid off but I'd rather know for sure than to keep wondering about it. :confused:

grumpy
01-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Being in limbo has got to suck. hope you get some answers soon.

grandsport
01-04-2010, 10:46 AM
That is no fun living on the edge that way. Every day is a challenge for me being in the sales end. Are you "working" by yourself?

piette
01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
As you know, I am self employed, but even for me, things are very slow right now after the holidays. Fortunately I dont rely on a paycheck, but if I did I would be out of business by now.

I actually am in the research and planning stages of a new business for me, I am considering opening an indoor firing range and gun shop here. Our closest public indoor range is about 70 miles away from me. As I watch the economy get worse, I see more and more guns being bought, but with no where to shoot them in the winters. We have lots of outdoor ranges, but nothing indoors.

I also start school again next week for an extension of my electrical profession. I am going back to get an electro-mechanical degree. I want to learn the ins and outs of program ladder logic and programming PLC's and instrumentation and such. I will either use it to expand on what my business can do or just say to hell with the stress of my own business and go do it for somebody else. There is good money in that sort of stuff.

Good luck Hank, I hope you know soon whats going to happen

Jeff

Andy69
01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I guess I'm lucky. We're so busy, I barely have time to think.

Derek69SS
01-04-2010, 11:47 AM
I wish you the best Hank. I was laid off for 6 months, from December to June last year. It's tough out there. :(

I actually am in the research and planning stages of a new business for me, I am considering opening an indoor firing range and gun shop here. Our closest public indoor range is about 70 miles away from me. As I watch the economy get worse, I see more and more guns being bought, but with no where to shoot them in the winters. We have lots of outdoor ranges, but nothing indoors.
I've been thinking that exact same thing. An indoor range I think would go over well here, especially during the winter months. I just don't have the money to get one started... real-estate is too expensive in Rochester.

piette
01-04-2010, 12:00 PM
I wish you the best Hank. I was laid off for 6 months, from December to June last year. It's tough out there. :(

I've been thinking that exact same thing. An indoor range I think would go over well here, especially during the winter months. I just don't have the money to get one started... real-estate is too expensive in Rochester.

Thats what I am researching now. Lots of empty buildings sitting around right now around here. I have a good chunk of money sitting in the market now, which I wouldnt be too afraid to pull out to get it going. I already have sent in my FFL application, so whether I open a store or not, as long as I pass you may have a cheaper source for guns Derek, I'll be able to buy directly from the manufacturers.

My thought was to do an indoor pistol range, and have a few lanes dedicated to archery and have the other lanes convertible to archery for late summer and leagues as well. I would do pistol leagues year round as well. Then do gun and supply sales to supplement and it could be successful.

Jeff

Hank70SS
01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Not knowing is worst part. My kids are grown, don't owe much on the house, and one car payment. If/when I get laid off I get 26 weeks severance pay plus I think I have 3 weeks earned vacation I would get paid for.

It would put a serious dent in our lifestyle but we'd get by. It's sitting on the fence waiting to see which way the wind is going to blow that's killing me.

Hank70SS
01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Are you "working" by yourself?

Not sure what you mean. I work from home, sometimes on a small project by myself, sometimes on bigger projects with other people.

grandsport
01-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Not sure what you mean. I work from home, sometimes on a small project by myself, sometimes on bigger projects with other people.

Didn't know you worked from home Had a great tip to look busy in the office,it's worked for me .:)

Garyb
01-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Thats what I am researching now. Lots of empty buildings sitting around right now around here. I have a good chunk of money sitting in the market now, which I wouldnt be too afraid to pull out to get it going. I already have sent in my FFL application, so whether I open a store or not, as long as I pass you may have a cheaper source for guns Derek, I'll be able to buy directly from the manufacturers.

My thought was to do an indoor pistol range, and have a few lanes dedicated to archery and have the other lanes convertible to archery for late summer and leagues as well. I would do pistol leagues year round as well. Then do gun and supply sales to supplement and it could be successful.

Jeff

What would insurance cost for that?? I'm just curious and i know you've probably already checked into it..

Bowtie-Bri
01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Hank,
I hope you find out one way or the other soon, so you don't have to think about it.

I wish you all the best in what ever you decide to do.:)

piette
01-04-2010, 05:42 PM
What would insurance cost for that?? I'm just curious and i know you've probably already checked into it..

Still waiting to hear back for a quote from several diffrent companies.

jeff

Hank70SS
01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Didn't know you worked from home Had a great tip to look busy in the office,it's worked for me .:)

I'm all set there, work in flannel pants and slippers. Occasionally I shave, usually when Lynda says I look like sh**. Someone calls I answer the phone. If someone emails I respond. I'm working my a** off as far as they know.

Hank70SS
01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Actually talked to my boss/former boss a few minutes ago. I emailed him this morning. He and the head of North American marketing have recommended I continue what I'm doing through February. After that who knows. I do like that better, if I get laid off I want my 26 weeks severance during the summer, not the winter. I plan on sucking up every bit of it. I'll never get another job making what I do now so why should I take a new job and a pay cut when I can get severance pay. Severance pay ends when you get a new job.

Don't worry, be happy.

piette
01-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Through February, meaning you are employed for basically 2 more months for sure yet? If so thats not the worst news I guess. At least you know that much, and as you said, it gets you closer to warm weather and chevelle driving on there dime and you do nothing. Maybe something will pop between now and then and they will kepp you around longer still. I never count my chickens ahead of time, always be optomistic, it cant hurt

Jeff

Hank70SS
01-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Through February, meaning you are employed for basically 2 more months for sure yet? If so thats not the worst news I guess. At least you know that much, and as you said, it gets you closer to warm weather and chevelle driving on there dime and you do nothing. Maybe something will pop between now and then and they will kepp you around longer still. I never count my chickens ahead of time, always be optomistic, it cant hurt

Jeff

Well that's what was recommended by a few individuals but that's no guarantee. On the other hand I haven't heard anything else yet so maybe. Plus companies like to have lay-offs effective by quarter end so it goes on the books that quarter. Maybe I'll be good through March, even more Chevelle driving time!

Maybe I'm thinking about it too much, maybe it'll be ok. Just seems they could tell you something for sure, not just maybe's.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks.
I'm lucky, been working there ?, 36 years I guess. I make a good salary and we'll survive. A lot of people have suffered much worse in this crappy economy, I have nothing to complain about.

grandsport
01-04-2010, 08:05 PM
You have worked for 36 years? Awesome. You must be getting up in years.:)

Hank70SS
01-04-2010, 08:10 PM
You have worked for 36 years? Awesome. You must be getting up in years.:)

Thanks for pointing that out Gary.

grandsport
01-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for pointing that out Gary.

At your service! Plus,you know how old I am,let's keep it quiet please.:)