PDA

View Full Version : Big Block VS Small Block

314Chevelle
03-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Hey everyone, hope every bodies doing well. Can as many of you as possible give me your opinions on a small block vs big block in my 67? Im building a stop light to stop light car. It'll never see the track. I know Big Blocks have that WOW FACTOR when u pop the hood but I'm curious on how my fellow Chevelle owners feel. All comments are open. Thanks!:banana:

Ms Grumpy
03-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Like you said the big block has that "WOW factor". But there are some small blocks that have a wow factor too. Are you planning on making the motor "pretty" or "beefy". I think that your budget will have a lot to do with your decision. I know it is easy to spend a lot of money on the motor, and my suggestion is to make a list with your pro's and con's before you start this adventure.

SS Shaun
03-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Also depends on the supply. Out here so many sbc motors i see them for sale for as little as.$50 from intake to oil pan but the big block are not so.common here so they go from $500 and up. What you need to do is just like grumpy said. Sit down think about what you want from the car and go from there

grandsport
03-08-2012, 06:02 PM
A big block is all I ever wanted out of life.:p

314Chevelle
03-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Well here's my issue & btw thanks for all the input. I'm a 6'6, 300 lb guy & I hate working in tight spaces Hence "BIG BLOCK". As far as what I want & budget is concerned, I have a 350 4 bolt main that I can build. Since I'm going for quick at the light, higher torque is my goal more so than high hp at 6000 RPM. In order to get the amount of torque I desire out of a small block will probably call for stroking it. & besides I've saw a lot of 68-72's with a small block but not many 60's that were show quality. Either way I want I pretty & beefy bb or sb. Thanks

314Chevelle
03-08-2012, 06:48 PM
@ Gary Big Blocks are instant torque & im now weighing the cost to build a small block to give me the torque I want vs a big block that has instant torque. So far the big block wins from the aspect. Im glad I joined this forum, although these are simple questions, talking to people like yourselves who have already been down the road I'm just starting gives me much needed support. Thanks you all.

flash
03-08-2012, 07:01 PM
Im in the minority but I like to drive my cars and truck alot so Im a small block guy .My wifes 72 Malibu vert has a 300 HP crate motor that has plenty of torque and power for me. My 72 El Camino SS has a stock 350 and is great just as it came from the factory ,my 72 Chevy truck will be running a more stock cam in its mildly built 350 whenever it decides to come home ,my 55 Bel Air also has a mild 350 and my wifes 81 Trans Am is of the small block variety .Nothing against Big Blocks but I just like my simple small blocks especially with gas prices headed up.

Ms Grumpy
03-08-2012, 07:20 PM
We have had this discussion before about big block vs small block, here is the link
http://chevelleforum.org/showthread.php?t=2269&highlight=Dart

Now for me, I originally started out with a 350 small block and we built the motor, only to find out that there was a problem with the block. My husband, grumpy, had worked with DART to build the top of the motor. So it was obvious to go with a DART block. We ended up getting a DART 400 short block. After a few problems we ended up with 523 hp @ 5900 rpm. I love this motor, it sounds good, runs great and has lots of power. Here is a link to what I have in the motor. http://chevelleforum.org/showthread.php?t=828&highlight=Dart

Good Luck on your decision.

314Chevelle
03-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Wow Ms G. That's a mean small block. That was my initial goal for my car, to stroke my 350. Its a gm crate motor with less than 50k on it That was in my Malibu. & @ flash I was a small block guy til I got this 67 & my mind started roaming. B4 I got this car I had never even mentioned a big block. Lol. You all have been helpful. Thanks again.

314Chevelle
03-09-2012, 01:30 PM
If u don't mind me asking Nancy, what your rotating assembly stock when u had the problem @ the track & when u built your new motor did u use forged parts?