PDA

View Full Version : engine wiring harness question

SS Shaun
02-19-2012, 01:18 PM
ok i have the wiring harness and i am not sure which one this is considered but if my wiring diagram is correct this is what i have

purple= starter
dark blue=oil pressure
orange=blower
light blue=wiper washer
black=wiper motor
black with yellow=wiper motor
another dark blue that is tied in to the wiper motor but i am not sure

but this is what i am really confused about in the wiring diagram i see peach color wire that goes to the coil. but on my harness i have a white thick wire. is that the wire that goes to the coil from this harness? if you are looking at it from the pins going to the fuse box it would be in row x column b according to what it looks like on my block. what do you think?

SS Shaun
02-19-2012, 08:49 PM
here are some pics
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271/civiclxb16a/chevelle/IMG_7033.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271/civiclxb16a/chevelle/IMG_7032.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n271/civiclxb16a/chevelle/IMG_7030.jpg

shadowgray396
02-19-2012, 09:12 PM
The white wire looks like the resistor wire to the coil to me.

Ray

SS Shaun
02-19-2012, 09:50 PM
so if i am using an HEI dont use that cable right?

FlintTony
02-20-2012, 05:12 AM
so if i am using an HEI dont use that cable right?

Correct. Run a new wire that has a full 12 volts. There is a place on the fuseblock that you can plug a spade terminal into that will power the ign.

Hank70SS
02-20-2012, 06:39 AM
Correct. Run a new wire that has a full 12 volts. There is a place on the fuseblock that you can plug a spade terminal into that will power the ign.

Or remove that wire from the bulk head connector and replace it with a regular 12g wire. You can buy the spade connectors at the auto parts store.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the light blue is oil pressure. Not at home so I can't look at my car.

FlintTony
02-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Or remove that wire from the bulk head connector and replace it with a regular 12g wire. You can buy the spade connectors at the auto parts store.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the light blue is oil pressure. Not at home so I can't look at my car.

Good idea Hank...except if he ever wants to go back to a real points type dist, he will have to re-run the resistor wire. I went through that when I put the real dist back in the Nova. It was a pain in the ass to re-run the wire. Very hard spot to get into. I hate those electronic set-ups. I know millions of guys like them, but I can diagnose and fix a point style. Not so with the "modern" junk.

Hank70SS
02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
It is easier to run a new wire. My engine harness was a mess and I had to rewrap it any way. Plus the new wire is wrapped in the harness all nice and neat. Either way will work but he already has the harness out.

SS Shaun
02-20-2012, 09:04 PM
ok so remove that wire and run a new 12gauge wire from that same pin on the fuse box? also the oil pressure wire i have has an end on it that looks like it will go to a sensor.

Hank70SS
02-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Like Tony.said you can run a new wire from inside or like I did, remove the old wire from the connector block and replace it with a new one. I could be wrong on the oil sender wire, can't look at my car right now.

SS Shaun
02-21-2012, 08:53 AM
ok kool i bought some red 12 gauge wire to run to the coil. here is the question at hand. how hard is it to remove that stuff from the block to get the wire out? and what did you use to put it back so it holds in place?

Hank70SS
02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
The goo in the block should pull out with some small needle nose pliers, tweezers, etc. The new spade connector pushes in and snaps into place, the goo is just to seal out the water. I used a little bit of black silicone, rtv, sealer. Take the harness to the auto parts store and they should be able to find the new connectors for you. Once you see the connector you'll see ho it locks into place.

SS Shaun
02-21-2012, 09:41 PM
i think i know what it is but i will see what i find! now i have another question..lol check it out