PDA

View Full Version : My daughter learned to drive a stick

grandsport
01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
She's been driving for 7 years now,I've tried to teach her many times.:( Today her boyfriend comes in the house and asks me to run down the road with him. To my suprise Lindsay is sitting behind the wheel of his new BMW. She actually did quite well,must not be as blonde as I thought. As for Mike,he must really be in love to let her drive that car.

Chevelle_Nut
01-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Did you sell him the car?

OutCast
01-03-2010, 07:01 PM
That's a huge victory right there, Gary. Let her learn how to grind gears and burn clutches in someone else's car.

When I took it upon myself to teach my wife, (then girlfriend), how to drive a stick 25 years ago it was in a little Honda civic she was given by her dad. Out we go, with her behind the wheel. Rev...stall, rev...stall, rev...stall, then the onslaught of "What's the matter with you?" It took her over an hour to get down the street. When I finally had enough, I said, "Here, let me show you." I hop in the driver's seat, rev......stall !!! :confused:

The little ricer had a serious flat spot in the carb, resulting in immediate stall. No wonder she couldn't get it.

After she wiped all her tears away, she tried again, this time blipping the throttle...off to the races.

It's amazing she's still with me after all these years. :D

grandsport
01-03-2010, 07:14 PM
After 30 years of marriage,I gave up teaching the wife about 29 ago.:) I don't have much patience teaching something like that.

Andy69
01-03-2010, 08:28 PM
She's been driving for 7 years now,I've tried to teach her many times.:( Today her boyfriend comes in the house and asks me to run down the road with him. To my suprise Lindsay is sitting behind the wheel of his new Pacifica. She actually did quite well,must not be as blonde as I thought. As for Mike,he must really be in love to let her drive that car.

hmm, I didn;t think they made those with manuals :)

grandsport
01-03-2010, 08:34 PM
hmm, I didn;t think they made those with manuals :)

I wish they still made them.:(

bad.samaritan
01-04-2010, 03:56 AM
I gave up on my girlfriend, but she still pesters me about it. Her car is an auto my Subaru is a stick and I refuse to let her ruin my clutch. It's been a stand off ever since, wish there was a "learn how to drive stick school" so she can go thrash on their cars. I tried teaching her a couple of times on my old truck before I sold it and it was a disaster, I wouldn't even let her take it out of a parking lot.

64Malibu
01-04-2010, 11:40 PM
I let drivers training teach my kids....

Chris R
01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
The first time I ever drove a stick. Was the day I bought my 66SS. However, I did get the training on how to let out the clutch initially while working at a full service car wash for so many years back then. All we did was get into cars to clean windows and drive it forward off the track to the guys to wipe it down. That expierence was the key for me.

johnnys1977
01-05-2010, 03:31 PM
I tried to teach my wife before we were married. She ran my 66 GTO into a tree in the state park while looking (physically) for 3rd gear!
Tried to teach her several times over the last 39 years to no avail! The last time in the Focus we have. Only car and she needs to learn to drive it before I have my hip replaced!
Took her out to visit her moms grave and the cemetary has nice paved lanes and intersections, thought why not! She actually did rather well but then when I was going to have her drive out onto the highway and out in the country she stalled it. Ten refused to drive it again!
Now looks like we will be buying a car we really can't afford from her dad just so we have an automatic.:(
Taught both of my youngest sons. A couple hours in an industrial park where I knew there was a good hill to make them stop on and then take off. They were good to go and drove home!
One learned in a Pontiac T-1000 and the other in a Nissan Sentra! Both bought thecars and I had to drive them home and then take them out to learn to use a clutch!:)

grandsport
01-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Maybe he can teach the wife. Not.:) I gotta give him credit for teaching her,though. He's a good guy,in fact Lindsay has been warned not to pee him off.