PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

Zxrider_sa
02-08-2012, 11:06 AM
So I recently came across a '68 Chevelle Contours in decent shape. I can get the car for $700. Maybe $600. Would just like some opinions on if I should get it, what direction to go with it and what it might be worth if I restore and sell.( if I dont get too attached. Lol) And help and insight would be appreciate it

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Zxrider_sa
02-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Here are pics

Zxrider_sa
02-08-2012, 11:08 AM

Zxrider_sa
02-08-2012, 11:09 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefcb4ba-ac9d-a878.jpg

fleming23
02-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I am just speculating but I imagine nearly every panel on that car needs replaced. The quarter is definitely looking like it has a nasty surprise hiding underneath. How are the floor pans, both inside the car & trunk?

Can you do ALL the sheet metal work yourself? If not I don't know if I would buy it with the intention of "restoring" it to flip for a profit. Too easy to fall into the project trap and invest WAY more than you would ever get out of the car.

If the car was solid you might get away with it but sitting in the woods covered in pine needles is a breeding ground for rust in places you might not initially see.

Is the drive-train complete?

Rank
02-08-2012, 12:00 PM
You didnt mention engine/trans condition ... If thats all there and good , cleaned up it is probably a 1,000 - 1500 dollar car .... and of course registration costs enter into the calculations.

A circle track guy would probably want it for the same 600 bux though.

Derek69SS
02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
It looks restorable, but don't expect it to be cheap or easy to do so.

You can buy one already finished for way less than it costs to resurrect one in this condition.

flash
02-08-2012, 01:35 PM
And good 68 parts can be hard to come by ,ask me how I know.

smokenjoep01
02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Maybe consider parting it out to keep others on the road and put some cash in your pocket

Ms Grumpy
02-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Maybe consider parting it out to keep others on the road and put some cash in your pocket

I like your thinking.

grandsport
02-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Do it up nice and pretty,total up receipts when it's done! One of these years I shall total up my receipts.

shadowgray396
02-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Looks restorable, but expect to have deep pockets. Need to buy it cheap enough for a quick profit if you plan to sell it the way it is. Also 68 is one of the least favorite years for the later Chevelles because of the wing windows and the tail lights. Most want a 69.

Zxrider_sa
02-09-2012, 06:05 AM
Oh, it is also a contours trim model, no motor or trans. What could I expect to get out of it if I did a basic restore. Nothing fancy. Body work and paint, motor and trans, decent rims, and basic interior?

fleming23
02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Oh, it is also a contours trim model, no motor or trans. What could I expect to get out of it if I did a basic restore. Nothing fancy. Body work and paint, motor and trans, decent rims, and basic interior?

Done right, I would estimate value at $10-15k? Maybe more depending on quality of restoration.

Cost to get it to that point with no motor, trans and assuming interior needs completely redone.....20-30k? If you do every single thing on the car yourself you might pocket $1k....

Just round-about guessing though.

SS Shaun
02-09-2012, 07:36 AM
i agree with you. my chevelle is in really good shape no rust anywhere just a crack on the passenger side fender. even with all of that i am still in about 3k and i have about another 3-6k left to put into it until its street ready! so for that car i would say 10-15k as well

flash
02-09-2012, 08:38 AM
68 is one of my favorite years of Chevelle's but Im in the minority as most prefer a 69 to a 68 .If you were planning on building it as a driver for yourself you might be OK with that one but for resale you could be upside down quickly .I was planning on a restoration on a 68 Malibu I had and I was upside down just from collecting the hard to find parts for it so I sold it before it got me any worse. If youre just looking for a project to fix and flip I would find another year Chevelle. There are some really good deals out there if you look long enough.There was a 69 wagon for sale on this sight last week that I would love to have but Im car poor and funds short.

Rank
02-09-2012, 10:41 AM

The value depends on whats been done to it .... and "whats been done to it" is gonna affect your profit , if any. There is nothing you cant buy for that car or any chevelle for that matter but the parts are usually reproduction.

I penciled out my 70 chevelle and came to the conclusion that things would be a wash PLUS that is assuming I did all the work myself (and I mean ALL) ... I would be working for free.

Put 18 grand in it and it will be worth 18 grand when your done ... do you enjoy working for free??? LOL