PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rod Power Tour 2012

Bowtie-Bri
01-26-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm planning to spend the night in Detroit for the beginning of the PT.
It starts at the GM proving grounds in Warren, MI.
It looks like Brighton is pretty close.
Here are some places for lodging:
Hide map
Map data ©2012 Google, Sanborn - Terms of Use

Map
Satellite
Hybrid
5 mi10 km
1Residence Inn Detroit Novi
27477 Cabaret Drive Novi, MI, 48377
Property Details or Properties Nearby
10.74 miles from GM Proving Grounds
3 StarsHotel$99.95VIEW RATES

2BEST WESTERN of Hartland
10087 M-59 Hartland, MI, 48353
5.93 miles from GM Proving Grounds
3 StarsHotel$99.00VIEW RATES

3Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites BRIGHTON
8285 MOVIE DRIVE BRIGHTON, MI, 48116
6.64 miles from GM Proving Grounds
3 StarsHotel$90.99VIEW RATES

4Courtyard Detroit Brighton
7799 Conference Center Dr. Brighton, MI, 48114
6.73 miles from GM Proving Grounds
3 StarsHotel$120.00VIEW RATES

5Homewood Suites by Hilton® Brighton
8060 Challis Brighton, MI, 48116
6.73 miles from GM Proving Grounds
3 StarsHotel$99.00VIEW RATES

Try properties nearby instead.
6Baymont Inn and Suites Detroit/Novi-Wixom
48953 Alpha Tech Drive Wixom, MI, 48393
8.49 miles from GM Proving Grounds
3 StarsHotelNo Vacancy

Try properties nearby instead.
7Comfort Suites Wixom
28049 Wixom Rd. Wixom, MI, 48393
8.52 miles from GM Proving Grounds
2 StarsHotelNo Vacancy

8Holiday Inn Express WIXOM
48953 ALPHA DRIVE WIXOM, MI, 48393
8.54 miles from GM Proving Grounds
3 StarsHotel$93.50VIEW RATES

9Grand View Inn Howell
5474 East Grand River Avenue Howell, MI, 48843
9.01 miles from GM Proving Grounds
3 StarsHotel$66.38VIEW RATES

10Staybridge Suites DETROIT - NOVI
27000 PROVIDENCE PARKWAY NOVI, MI, 48374
9.3 miles from GM Proving Grounds
3 StarsHotel$104.00VIEW RATES

406 properties near GM Proving Grounds

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >>
I was thinking of checking for a room at the Homewood Suites. It sounds like a nice place and it's not far from the P.G.
What do you think?......
Is anyone else planning to participate this year?

Ms Grumpy
01-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Brian I don't live too far from the GM in Warren. And Brighton is still quite a drive from there, maybe 40+ minutes, and that is all expressway.

There are a lot of hotels right on Van Dyke, which is the road that GM is on, but I would have to look up the names, but I am pretty sure there is a Holiday Inn right there.

I would love to do the power tour this year, especially since it is starting in my back yard. But I still have a few bugs to work out before I could make that commitment.

I will check into the hotels closer to GM if you would like me to. Or just look up the hotels on Van Dyke in Warren.

flash
01-26-2012, 07:13 PM
I so want to do a complete Power Tour one day ,its on the old Bucket List.

Ms Grumpy
01-26-2012, 07:18 PM
I so want to do a complete Power Tour one day ,its on the old Bucket List.

Me too.....

RBeckman
01-26-2012, 07:51 PM
The GM proving grounds is in Milford which is right next Brighton. Hank lives so close he can smell the rubber in the air. Warren is the engineering center.

Ms Grumpy
01-27-2012, 04:10 PM
That's what I thought. Had a blond moment. Thanks Ric.

RBeckman
01-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Brian,

I just checked and they are starting in Milford at the proving grounds which is right next to Brighton, I'm thinking of doing a part of it as well, maybe three stops. I'd take the Camaro. I just have to find out when my daughters graduation is. For everyone else here is the link to the powertour.

http://www.mytrain.com/hrpt2012.html

flash
01-27-2012, 06:36 PM
I am not clicking on that link .no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BillsCamino
01-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Me and my little buddy from Ireland did a segment of the Hot Rod Power Tour in '10.
Lots of fun!!!

flash
01-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Bill ,youre not helping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I miss Liz and Liam ,I hope they can come this year .I didnt know ya'll did part of the Power Tour . Tell us more ,we also miss seeing you and Ann as well as Pam and Dana .

RBeckman
01-27-2012, 08:54 PM
The nice thing is that I only live 12 miles from the proving grounds and drive by it everyday on the way to work and get to see all the GM cars that are camouflaged driving the roads. Like I said earlier, our friend Hank and Ray are probably less than 2 miles away.

Bowtie-Bri
01-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Hey Ric,
I'll probably be making reservations in the next couple of days. I'm planning to take my Camaro as well! I'm just planning to drive from Detroit to Muskegon then back home. It's gonna be an awesome weekend! It would be great to see some of you at the Proving Grounds.Bowtie smiley

Brian,

I just checked and they are starting in Milford at the proving grounds which is right next to Brighton, I'm thinking of doing a part of it as well, maybe three stops. I'd take the Camaro. I just have to find out when my daughters graduation is. For everyone else here is the link to the powertour.

http://www.mytrain.com/hrpt2012.html

carpoor
02-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Looks like a cool route, would love to go - but I doubt it is in the cards. I was a long hauler in 2010. We drove from FL to Iowa for the start, and went all the way to Mobile. I did the first day @ Cape Canaveral, FL last year. Had conflicts with work, and wasn't able to do any other stops. I wanted to at least make it to Indy.

It was hectic in 2010, partly due to the people I traveled with. If I had to do it all over again - I would travel alone, and skip the Power Tour routes. While scenic... the roads sucked, traffic was bad, and at times it was hard to find a gas station.

RBeckman
02-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Hey Ric,
I'll probably be making reservations in the next couple of days. I'm planning to take my Camaro as well! I'm just planning to drive from Detroit to Muskegon then back home. It's gonna be an awesome weekend! It would be great to see some of you at the Proving Grounds.Bowtie smiley

Just talked to my daughter and he graduation is on Sun June 3, so I guess I won't be going, but will be there at the proving ground on Saturday with the Camaro.

Ms Grumpy
02-02-2012, 08:29 PM
I feel your pain Ric. Just found out my sister is getting married on June 2nd. I was really going to try to see if I could do the first leg of it. This stinks.

Hank70SS
02-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Well this just sucks! I missed this post but just talked to Brian. Thought we could go to the proving grounds on Saturday then drive to Muskegon on Sunday. Lynda was kind enough to remind me my great aunts 100th birthday is on that Saturday. She's always been a part of our lives while growing up and not too many people get to celebrate a 100th birthday. We, the family have already started making plans for a party, I'm not good at remembering dates.

Well maybe we can make the drive to Muskegon on Sunday, damn.

Ms Grumpy
02-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Why is it that there is always a conflict with some of the best car cruises/shows.

flash
02-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Cause there are so many great shows out there and we dont want to miss one.

Bowtie-Bri
02-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Just talked to my daughter and he graduation is on Sun June 3, so I guess I won't be going, but will be there at the proving ground on Saturday with the Camaro.

Sorry you can't make the tour from Detroit to Muskegon Ric. I'll be looking for you on Saturday at the PG. I'll be staying at the Homewood Suites in Brighton
June 1-2. :)

Bowtie-Bri
05-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Thought since this is the week of Hot Rod Power Tour I'd bump this up to the top. As mentioned in a previous post, I'll be staying at the Homewood Suites by Hilton in Brighton arriving sometime on Friday. Either my Wife Carol or my son Chris might go along for the ride. I see they are calling for a chance of rain. I hope that changes before the end of the week. Anyone else planning to be at the GM proving grounds on Saturday for the festivities?

Ms Grumpy
05-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Brian, I wish I could be there. I have to make my sisters wedding cake and deliver it before her wedding on Saturday. I am so bummed that I cannot go, nor participate.

Have a great time...and be safe.

RBeckman
05-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Brian I'm planning on being there and may bring the Chevelle and the Camaro since my son is in town. I can only go Saturday as my daughter graduates on Sunday and the school would not change it....

Ms Grumpy
05-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Brian I'm planning on being there and may bring the Chevelle and the Camaro since my son is in town. I can only go Saturday as my daughter graduates on Sunday and the school would not change it....

Why doesn't the school understand ? priorities !

Bowtie-Bri
06-03-2012, 07:59 PM
My Wife and I had an awesome time on the PT. We went to the GM Proving Grounds. What a cool place. It is a really big place. On our way back to the hotel we saw Tony and his wife by the road waving at all the cars going by.
Hope you saw us waving back! Waving I'll post some pics later.

FlintTony
06-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Hey Brian, we did see you! My shoulder is sore this morning from all the waving. Man, there were a lot of cars. We sat there for about 3 hours watching them go by. Lots of people took our picture, lots of people yelled "nice car", lots of people waved for us to join in.

Ms Grumpy
06-04-2012, 05:38 AM
I was so bummed that I couldn't be there. I really tried to rearrange my schedule, but I needed to make sure that I delivered the cake and that I made it to my sisters wedding.

I will do a power tour in the next few years. I will.

flash
06-04-2012, 06:26 AM
I want to do a whole tour one day .

Ms Grumpy
06-04-2012, 06:45 AM
I want to do a whole tour one day .

We will put it on our bucket list to do together. Me and grumpy, you and Joan.