PDA

View Full Version : Frame Question

tomsc4655
12-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Hey guys (and gals). I am thinking about building a Chevelle and have a vision of what I want to do and need some advice. I am looking to build a 70 model but will also clone a 71 or 72 if needed. My question is about the frame of the cars. Is there a different frame for a convertible than a coupe, and are any of the other A body cars (Cutlass, Skylark) the same frame. The reason I ask is that I am thinking of using one of the new Dynacorn convertible bodies eventually and really only need a basket case of a donor car with a good frame to start with. This will be the Mother of slow builds, but will keep me out of trouble (I hope) and give me something to do. I know me, if I buy a running car I will just tear it down anyway and start over so I’m trying to start from the ground up to avoid wasting any time and money. Thanks for any help and info you can give.

Hank70SS
12-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi Tom, welcome. No difference in the convertible frame. The convertible does use 2 extra body mount/bushings under the firewall but the holes should already be in the frame. Not sure about other A bodies but I believe they're the same, someone will know for sure. The rear end will be different but can be swapped out. I know the A arms are basically the same but some use different bushings.

Good luck, keep us updated on your build.

tomsc4655
12-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the info Hank. I thought that was the case but it has been a while since I was involved with these cars. I hope to locate a start to my project soon and will post pics and info when it happens. Thanks again!

Derek69SS
12-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Convertible frames are boxed too for added strength. They are dimensionally the same as a Coupe, but reinforced.

I think buying a complete solid roller would be more cost-effective than a Dynacorn shell though... especially when you add up all the little parts that aren't included.

Hank70SS
12-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Derek. I did a little digging around and looks like all the A body frames are the same. So you could use a Buick, Olds, Pontiac or Chevelle convertible frame.

tomsc4655
12-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks Derek. In what areas are they boxed? Are there any links that you know of that would show me the differences?

shadowgray396
12-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Here's a convert frame
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy58/shadowgray/Body%20Shop/frame-1.jpg
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy58/shadowgray/Body%20Shop/Frame.jpg

Coupe frame
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy58/shadowgray/Frame%20Build/Frame%20Build/PwdCoatShop8.jpg

Note boxed on on the covert frame under the door section or middle section. That is why the cross member is shorter on the convertible frame.

tomsc4655
12-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks Ray. I think I have come to the conclusion that the best path for me will be to locate a good 70-72 donor car and then purchase a convertible frame. I have found a couple of frames so far that might work. I'm having fun already doing research and learning more about the cars and planning my method of attack. Thanks for all the help everyone!

shadowgray396
12-25-2011, 09:36 AM
I think you are money ahead to find a malibu convertible that is in good shape and build what you want from there. The Dynacorn convertible bodies are around 15k, plus by the time you build a motor and everything else that is needed you could be looking around 50k just to build a clone. I've seen nice convertibles for 20 to 30k. Just take your time you will find one out there. Not to mention all the time you will have into trying to building one. Believe me I know what it takes to build one of these cars. 6 years and counting on mine.

tomsc4655
12-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the info guys. It's amazing how much info is available online to learn about these cars. I have found a couple good complete convertibles online but can't go that route yet. We move into our new (to us) home in about 3 weeks and still have a wedding to plan and pay for. I'm still leaning towards getting started on bare frame but may keep looking at my options.