PDA

View Full Version : Seat springs

bafflefinder
11-26-2011, 09:24 AM
I just bought a 72 Malibu. The bench seat was recovered and looks good. When I sit in it I sink in and it is a back killer (I know what your thinking but I'm under 200 lbs). Is there a solution to beef up the springs or to firm them up. Does anyone sell an aftermarket seat? I haven't had any luck online. Thanks for any help.

Ms Grumpy
11-26-2011, 01:06 PM
I know that I no longer have the bench seat in my 72, but I did have the seats redone. We had to replace most of the springs and hardware and recover the seats. I found everything at NPD.

Rank
11-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah, what Ms Grumpy said .. NPD, Year One, Classic Industries .... they all sell the pieces and parts to do a complete rebuild on your seat ...... or maybe like George
Costanza in that one Seinfeld episode .... maybe your wallet is too thick!! LOL

btw, welcome, got a intro and pics of that 72??

Mike 1972SS
11-26-2011, 05:12 PM
When I had my seats recovered, my upholstery guy weaved jute webbing (http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/upholstery-supplies/webbing/jute-webbing/black-jute-webbing-.htm) to firm up the seats so I wouldn't sink down. (I'm short, not fat. :D)

It workd great and if I didn't like how firm they are, he said to cut the webbing one at a time to get it the way I liked.

Mike

Hank70SS
11-26-2011, 06:48 PM
When I recovered our seats there were a lot of broken springs. Hard to tell when the covers are but I was surprised how many were broken. Got new ones at NPD. Might worth pulling them out. Take the plastic back of the the seat back and turn the bottom seat over, see what's going on in there.

flash
11-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Check with a local upholstery shop as well as the suggestions above ,the local place may stock what you need.

bafflefinder
11-27-2011, 09:20 PM
I appreciate the input. Rank, since I bought this Chevelle believe me that wallet is getting thinner. Have to replace the rear springs, all front suspension and steering parts, rear discs and the list goes on.