PDA

View Full Version : Looking At A Chevelle: Need Help

ParkwayDrive
11-07-2011, 03:56 PM
How's it going guys? The name is Steve and I just got out of the Army (stationed at Fort Drum, NY) and moved home to Cali. I've always wanted a Chevelle and put it off while I was in the Army until I moved home. Now that I'm out I have the money and time to get the car I've always wanted. I found one very close to me that I'm going to look at this weekend. I don't want to do a full restore, just clean it up and possibly put a larger engine in it.

Here's the link: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/2681711675.html

I'm not an expert on Chevelles so I have a few questions. Are those after market seats? The dash doesn't look like a normal 70's I'm used to is. Is this a Malibu? Obviously hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like it has the staple shifter. And lasty what would you suggest I offer him? I'm thinking of bringing cash when I go and if the rest is straight offer 8,500.

Any help would be great guys, thanks.

grandsport
11-07-2011, 05:17 PM
How's it going guys? The name is Steve and I just got out of the Army (stationed at Fort Drum, NY) and moved home to Cali. I've always wanted a Chevelle and put it off while I was in the Army until I moved home. Now that I'm out I have the money and time to get the car I've always wanted. I found one very close to me that I'm going to look at this weekend. I don't want to do a full restore, just clean it up and possibly put a larger engine in it.

Here's the link: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/2681711675.html

I'm not an expert on Chevelles so I have a few questions. Are those after market seats? The dash doesn't look like a normal 70's I'm used to is. Is this a Malibu? Obviously hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look like it has the staple shifter. And lasty what would you suggest I offer him? I'm thinking of bringing cash when I go and if the rest is straight offer 8,500.

Any help would be great guys, thanks.

Looks like a malibuss with different seats a Cavalier steering wheel and shifter.

Rank
11-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Welcome Steve and congrats on ETSing.
I know the prices of our area and 12k is hella overpriced for that car .... your counter of 85 is more realistic .... but, personally I think that car needs alot going for it considering you are in the early stages of looking (SS , sound system, clean wiring, nice exhaust ... generally in good shqpe) .... there is alot out there and at good prices. Good luck in your search

Ms Grumpy
11-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Welcome ParkWayDrive. First off let me thank you for your service to our country.

I know that pics can be deceiving. It is so hard to see how much work has been done to the car. The only thing that the ad really says is that the car is in excellent condition. Everyone has their opinion as to what is excellent condition. It says nothing about original anything. Maybe I am just to skeptical when looking at a car. And I agree with Rank, it seems like the price is high. I would just really check the car out top to bottom. And just remember there are quite a few nice ones out there, it is just how patient are you willing to be to find the right one for you. Just my opinion.

ParkwayDrive
11-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Looks like a malibuss with different seats a Cavalier steering wheel and shifter.

Thanks a lot, just the answers I needed.

Welcome Steve and congrats on ETSing.
I know the prices of our area and 12k is hella overpriced for that car .... your counter of 85 is more realistic .... but, personally I think that car needs alot going for it considering you are in the early stages of looking (SS , sound system, clean wiring, nice exhaust ... generally in good shqpe) .... there is alot out there and at good prices. Good luck in your search

Thanks, do any service yourself? I've been looking for the last month (I know I know not that long) and this is the first car I've seen in the state I'm looking for. I want something that runs and needs work. Nothing too ridiculous. I'm not going to fully restore the care but I would like to turn it to an SS clone and drop a crate motor in it. I don't want to take it to shows or the strip, but a daily turned weekend driver. Your advice is much appreciated and hopefully you can offer more now that you've heard a little from my end.

Welcome ParkWayDrive. First off let me thank you for your service to our country.

I know that pics can be deceiving. It is so hard to see how much work has been done to the car. The only thing that the ad really says is that the car is in excellent condition. Everyone has their opinion as to what is excellent condition. It says nothing about original anything. Maybe I am just to skeptical when looking at a car. And I agree with Rank, it seems like the price is high. I would just really check the car out top to bottom. And just remember there are quite a few nice ones out there, it is just how patient are you willing to be to find the right one for you. Just my opinion.

Thanks a lot man, appreciate it. I know I must be patient and I'm not getting myself excited over this (especially since it's the first one I'm going to check out). I'm not too worried about everything being original (can also use this to lower the price) as I said I'm hoping to turn it into an SS clone but in no way showcar status.

shadowgray396
11-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Good luck on your search, like said above don't jump on the first one you find. Take some time looking at different adds and cars so you will have a better feel what would be a good deal and price out there.

ParkwayDrive
11-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Good luck on your search, like said above don't jump on the first one you find. Take some time looking at different adds and cars so you will have a better feel what would be a good deal and price out there.

Thanks for the advice. I've been continuing to look since finding this one. Haven't found others but I'm not going to stop until I find the right one. I go to check the one I posted out this weekend so we'll see.

Hank70SS
11-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi Steve, welcome to Chevelle Forums. The other guys have given some good advice so I'll just say thank you for your service to our country and good luck in your search.

ParkwayDrive
11-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it.

flash
11-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Welcome Steve and good luck on your search.

Derek69SS
11-09-2011, 07:24 AM
$12k seems reasonable to me if the car's quality is good, but good clean cars seem to bring a lot more money up here in the rust belt. Paint would cost $8000 or more for a quality job.

Those seats are Scat Procar "Elite". I have the Procar Rally seats and love them. Way more comfortable than factory buckets, especially on long trips (and they recline too)

ParkwayDrive
11-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info, Derek. Fortunately for me (and the cars) rust isn;t a huge issue in my area.