PDA

View Full Version : Meanest Exhaust System...?

Ki_Power
10-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Looking for the Meanest Sounding (and Performing of course) exhaust system for my 68. I have a high performance 350 V8.

Any experience or knowledge would be great!

I'm looking for that mean GROWL!

Thanks

Liam

70SS396
10-05-2011, 04:26 PM
IMHO, Hooker headers, h-pipe and flowmasters. For the 350, 2.5" exhuast pipe is plenty big enough.

Ms Grumpy
10-05-2011, 08:51 PM
IMHO, Hooker headers, h-pipe and flowmasters. For the 350, 2.5" exhuast pipe is plenty big enough.

Yeah...what he said.

Rharp
09-09-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm wanting to buy a set of long tube headers for my 70. Do I only need to know the dia of the exhaust pipe and my engine size? ( 2.5" 396) Is there anything else that I need to take into consideration? Would like to buy Hooker headers but not sure what ones.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Ms Grumpy
09-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Rich, a lot of times making a call to the manufacturer will help you in determining what you need/want. Or at least it may help you answer your questions. I am sure that someone will post after me with a great suggestion.

Rharp
09-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Rich, a lot of times making a call to the manufacturer will help you in determining what you need/want. Or at least it may help you answer your questions. I am sure that someone will post after me with a great suggestion.

I thought about calling but then I got to thinking that the people on these forums know a heck of a lot more about Chevelles than the manufacture. Just hoping someone on here may have the answer and maybe a suggestion on what they think is a good header.

Rharp
09-10-2012, 08:17 PM
I am sure that someone will post after me with a great suggestion.

Or not!!!!!!!!!!! :butt1:

RBeckman
09-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I put the hedman's on and could not be happier for my 396 in the Chevelle. Fit great and they have been on for 5 years and never been off.

Rharp
09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
I put the hedman's on and could not be happier for my 396 in the Chevelle. Fit great and they have been on for 5 years and never been off.

Thanks Ric,

Should they be a tuned header?

earthquake68
09-10-2012, 10:55 PM
In a dream world, all headers are tuned. (to a point) As long as the tubes are close to being the same length. Stay away form the cheap brands like Flowtech and Cyclone (if they are even still in business) Hooker headers will make a large noticeable difference in performance. Heddman headers are very good too. The new collector design on the Heddmans will cut out the need to replace gaskets every month, too.

I had a '69 Chevelle with a wicked 350. I had Hooker headers, 3" pipe with no crossover and Flowmaster 40's. It sounded like pure evil. It didn't help that the car was triple black. :D

Rharp
09-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Hey guy's
Thanks for the advice.
I went to summet's web site and by the time I put in what all I have on my car I only have a few choices. Not sure why but it seems likes air and power brakes seem to eliminate a lot of choices.
All I care about is getting some that are ceramic coated. I put these on my 2011 Camaro and like the way they look. I'm not looking for performance. I just want some good sound and eye candy under the hood

smoke' em II
09-13-2012, 03:03 PM
IMHO Racing bullet mufflers with staight dual pipes, as any type of cross over pipe will cancel and blend exhaust pulses.

carpoor
09-13-2012, 04:59 PM
My father's 72' has Dynomax ceramic coated headers. His car has a/c, power brakes, power steering, etc. No fitment issues, one small a/c brace had to be trimmed. Otherwise a direct bolt on. HTH