PDA

View Full Version : engine wont crank from key switch

david69
10-04-2011, 11:51 PM
i could sure use some help from a few of you car guys lol .....................

the previous owner of my 69 chevelle had a togo switch hooked up to start the car because the key switch was bad, i thought i had it figured out with the help of a few guys on here but it still wont crank from the key switch.

the car will start and run if i short it out, but thats no good.
checked the netural switch (not the problem)

i hooked the big purple wire to the starter on the possitive cable and the orange-yellow wire to the inside of the silonoid also on the possitive, still no luck.
if i touch the orange wire to the hot on the battery it will crank but still wont crank from the key switch, its getting fire just wont crank from key...

any ideas??? any one know what i should try next lol i feel like i am fighting a loosing battle, nothing is working to fix the problem...

people and their togo switches to by pass the original problem!!!!

Hank70SS
10-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Look at the end of the solenoid. One of the small posts is labeled R, the other S. Can't remember for sure but I believe the S terminal is closest to engine. The purple wire should be connected to that post. The yellow wire goes to the R post, not needed with HEI distributor.

Hank70SS
10-05-2011, 07:11 AM
David I moved both your treads to the electrical forum which is where they should be.. If someone has similar questions in the future a search of the electrical forum may help them out.