PDA

View Full Version : Converting a '71-'72 to a '70....really ?

Ms Grumpy
09-28-2011, 05:34 PM
I was reading the November 2011 Super Chevy issue when I saw the article on pg 58.

"TECH-SHEETMETAL SWAP"
"WHAT IT TAKES TO CONVERT A '71-'72 TO A '70"

OK, so I am not a purist at heart but I think that there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. The article talks about how the owner of the car really wanted a '70, but that they are not cheap. So he purchased a '71 at a "reasonable" price and then proceeded to pay a shop to do all the body conversions. Ironically the name of the shop is B.S. Industries.

The article does claim that the owner of the car does not plan to "cheat anyone" and that "The car is already fitted with a Schwartz Performance chassis and a few other non-factory upgrades, so there is no way this car will be mistaken for an original anyway."

The best part about this article is the fact that he bought the car at a "reasonable" price, and the price of just the parts to make it look like a '70 is over $3,600.

I don't know why this bothers me so much, but it does. All you guys know that I don't have a numbers matching, all original car. But I bought a '72 and it is a '72, with all '72 quarter panels. What do you think ?

grandsport
09-28-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't know what the allure of a 70 is,but if you want a 70 just buy a damn 70.Waving

Rank
09-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Buy mine!! LOL

The article mentions the production numbers and I just dont understand the math .... not very many more 71 and 72s out there compared to 70.

I always liked the 71 and twos better than the 70s anyhow, Big deal!!

Ms Grumpy
09-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Buy mine!! LOL

The article mentions the production numbers and I just dont understand the math .... not very many more 71 and 72s out there compared to 70.

I always liked the 71 and twos better than the 70s anyhow, Big deal!!

Me too.

The math of adding all those parts, with what the labor is going to cost, plus what he paid for the '72. Is it really worth it ?

grandsport
09-28-2011, 07:03 PM
If my dad had never bought a 70 SS brand new,I really would not care so much about what year Chevelle I owned.I looked for over 6 years to find that exact car,and settled for my black car. But,for me I'll never be satisifed until I get the car I learned to drive on. I remember that car like it was last week.

Ms Grumpy
09-28-2011, 08:02 PM
If my dad had never bought a 70 SS brand new,I really would not care so much about what year Chevelle I owned.I looked for over 6 years to find that exact car,and settled for my black car. But,for me I'll never be satisifed until I get the car I learned to drive on. I remember that car like it was last week.

That is so cool. I think for a lot of us, the car that we want is because it brings back memories. Mine is finding an older Rambler. I remember my dad driving a little red Rambler. My mom just can't remember exactly what year the car was.

grandsport
09-28-2011, 08:21 PM
That is so cool. I think for a lot of us, the car that we want is because it brings back memories. Mine is finding an older Rambler. I remember my dad driving a little red Rambler. My mom just can't remember exactly what year the car was.

Forest Green,white stripes,cowl induction.Automatic,air,tilt wheel,lamp monitors.General white lettered tires.No,I don't remember that car.;)

Derek69SS
09-28-2011, 09:05 PM
I have no shame. I'd build what I want using whatever I can afford... If I was looking for a '70 project, but the right deal on a '71-'72 came up, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and change it.

I'd do the same to a lot of cars... any 68-72 El Camino I'd put a '69 nose on. Any 68-72 Nova I'd put the '68 bumpers and grille on. Any 16-22 Model T I'd put a '15 hood, radiator, and fenders on.

Rank
09-28-2011, 09:13 PM
had a friend with a 57 chev and a 55 front clip on it .... weird!

.... but what I was try to convey with my earlier post ... given the production numbers by the article writer 200 rhousand 70's produced tells me they are not rare at all

grandsport
09-28-2011, 09:14 PM
I have no shame. I'd build what I want using whatever I can afford... If I was looking for a '70 project, but the right deal on a '71-'72 came up, I wouldn't hesitate to buy and change it.

I'd do the same to a lot of cars... any 68-72 El Camino I'd put a '69 nose on. Any 68-72 Nova I'd put the '68 bumpers and grille on. Any 16-22 Model T I'd put a '15 hood, radiator, and fenders on.

Can I put a Pacifica front end on a Genesis coupe?

Hank70SS
09-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Production wise there may not be a lot more 71,72 but they generally are cheaper than a 70. Regardless of which one you like most the 70 does command a higher price.

A lot of people like the 4 headlight system of the 70 and the rear bumper, taillights on the 71/72. So they'll buy a 71/72, which is cheaper, then put a 70 front end on.

earthquake68
09-29-2011, 08:48 AM
You can put a '50 Ford front end on Genesis coupe. It's only metal and plastic.

I made a '71 SS clone out of a '72 one time. Only because the engine, trans, and body all fell in my lap at near the same time.

Here's a picture of my '72...

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p224/earthquake68/71SSChevelle.jpg

I bought the "running" car for $400. A friend sold me a new 350 for $100, the trans for $50, another friend gave me the wheels, front seats and carpets, and I went to the swap meet for the cowl hood and other SS stuff. In this picture I have about $1,200-$1,300 TOTAL invested in the car.

NOW, ...going back to the article. After realistically spending an additional $6K on the car to make it a '70, there's NO WAY you can tell me you couldn't find a nice '70 for the money.

Derek69SS
09-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Just thought of another car I'd "convert" to a different year... I'd LOVE to have a '65 Chevelle 2-door wagon. I would not hesitate for a second to build or own a '64 with a '65 nose.

Berg
09-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Ok Grandsport I almost pissed myself with the pacifica comment. I was thinking along the lines of how many guys I know that wanted a Chevy truck so they bought a GMC and switched emblems and grilles. I'd never cut up a clean anything. On the other hand, if its your car and you bought it and you want to spend money on making it something else I guess go for it. I think the interesting part in the article that can help anyone out is the parts that are different between the cars. They basically wrote an article discussing the major year-to-year differences between 70,71,72. I think it would have been more interesting if they took a Buick Skylark and tried to turn it into a Chevelle. If you want a pure 70, just go buy one. They aren't unobtainable. I know for a fact. You just have to look. I also think you'd be better off buying a 70 that needs quarters, trunk and floor pans and an interior redo than spending money on taking a clean car and buying all aftermarket or used original stuff to make it into something else. Things like the wiring harnesses and brake proportioning valves are different along with radio knobs and green numbers on instruments with different seat covers where do you draw the line? I guess buying a complete 70 front clip and rear bumper with taillights and making it work with everything else is a cheap option to get the look if you wanted to. I'd just say don't read into the article too much as the 72's are basically the same thing as a 70 and they are equals. Everyone has their preference and no one car is "better" than the other. Afterall it is a Chevelle to begin with so its all good in my book. It would be like saying a Lemans handles different than a Cutlass. Its all the same stuff underneath!

Bowtie-Bri
09-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Don't you mean, "like it was yesterday"?
Oh wait, I get it...your getting older, so it takes more time to remember. :D Just funnin wit cha Gary. Waving
I have that thing called "oldtimers" disease too. It acts up at the most inconvenient times. :D

Ms Grumpy
09-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Berg....very well said.

flash
09-29-2011, 09:58 PM
If I wanted a 70 that bad I would just go find a 70 to start with ,I like my 72 just fine .

flash
09-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Actually I should have said I like both our 72's just fine.