PDA

View Full Version : No help from AC Delco on oil filter failure.

Ms Grumpy
09-08-2011, 10:10 AM
This is a post that I took of the NOCC facebook page, with permission from Tom. He hopes that this knowledge will make it so that no one else goes through the loss that he has.

Tom Lasater
Just got off the phone with a representative of AC Delco, remember my oil filter failure on August 16th. They won't take care of the engine damage suffered on my 70 Monte Carlo because my engine is modified. So if you have modified any part of your GM engine, you had better get yourself a real oil filter so you don't have to worry about the filter coming apart and causing serious internal damage to your engine. And GM wonders why people aren't lining up to buy their products..

grandsport
09-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Oil filters scare me.So much at stake with a $6 item.

flash
09-08-2011, 09:06 PM
And I have heard not to use FRAM .They are probably all made by the same manufacturer and stamped a little different but I dont know.

RBeckman
09-08-2011, 10:14 PM
With being in the aftermarket business I could tell you stories that scare the hell out of you. AC Filters and Spark plugs used to be made here in Flint until about 10 years ago and then the went off shore and AC does not mean GM anymore..its just a marketing name and run by a whole different team at GM now.

Rank
09-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Seems to me that a oil filter is of such simplistic design that failure is not in the picture. People seem to toss all their excuses and blame at the wall and try to get something to stick.
Lots of ancillary reasons that the filter could have failed and, yes, a modified engine is one of them .... but, alas, the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease so if this guy complains enough he will probably get what he is after and we, the consumers, will end up paying for this "cost of doing business" through higher costs at the end use.

... I liken it to the exhorbinant medical costs due to malpratice suits, legitimate or not.

flash
09-09-2011, 08:49 AM
So what is the best filter to use on our Chevelles . I have several FRAM filters on the shelf that I plan to use as I've never had a problem with them. I may start using WIX filters as I have read good things about them ,that is after my current stock is used up.

Rharp
09-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Fram filters have always worked on all my other cars. Don't see why they wouldn't work on my chevelle. To be honest up until this thread I always thought a filter was a filter. Guess that's not the case. Espescially if your car is beefed up.

flash
09-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I personally have never had an oil filter to fail no matter what brand it was .On my high mileage daily driver I buy the cheaper store brand and never had a problem .

Ms Grumpy
09-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I personally have never had an oil filter to fail no matter what brand it was .On my high mileage daily driver I buy the cheaper store brand and never had a problem .

Me neither, and I usually go and get my oil changed on my daily drivers. So maybe I should make sure what kind of filter is being used. Sounds like another investigative job on finding a US oil filter, or at least one that people trust. Man....more work....lol

flash
09-09-2011, 08:38 PM
My FRAM filters are made in USA but they have been on my shelf for a while .I need to pay attention next time at the parts store and do a comparison.

BillsCamino
09-10-2011, 06:56 AM
This is a damn shame. :mad:
I built that engine in Tom's Monte Carlo. Nothing but the best quality parts were used.
To loose it all over a piece of crap oil filter is heart breaking. :(
I use nothing but K&N or Wix (Napa Gold) oil filters. I use K&N exclusively on cars with headers...the 1" nut on the end of those filters makes removal easy.

RBeckman
09-10-2011, 06:51 PM
This is a damn shame. :mad:
I built that engine in Tom's Monte Carlo. Nothing but the best quality parts were used.
To loose it all over a piece of crap oil filter is heart breaking. :(
I use nothing but K&N or Wix (Napa Gold) oil filters. I use K&N exclusively on cars with headers...the 1" nut on the end of those filters makes removal easy.

I agree 100% with you.

Berg
09-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Ditto on the K&N oil filter with the nut welded to the bottom. I have no problem spending $12 on an oil filter instead of $3 if it will do its job. With some of the crap on the market these days you'd probably be better off with a metal screen. Baldwin filters are made mostly for hydraulic systems and big trucks but I ran them on my old plow trucks for years and never had a problem. Sometimes the truck would literally cook the oil in the crankcase depending on who was driving it. I still use AC Delco and when comparing an old NOS filter to todays overseas crap you can visually see the difference. They are even easier to crush with oil filter pliers too. I agree quality has gone downhill in the name of the almighty dollar. My local small town parts store carries Wix filters as their main line. The old man has been running his parts store since 1955 and has never had a problem he can recall that was caused by an oil filter he sold.
I also don't believe in plugging the oil filter bypass or installing an adapter without the bypass provision. I'd rather have unfiltered oil flowing over my bearings and at least having some sort of lubrication and cushion than having metal on metal contact.