PDA

View Full Version : #s matching 70 ss

Rharp
09-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Hey everyone.

About 3 months ago I purchased a 70 Chevelle ss.
The car has a build sheat and protect o plate, and is suppose to be #s matching. I bought it because I liked it not because of the other stuff.
Well now I find myself questioning if it realy is #s matching or not, and if the documents are real.

So here's my question.
I understand the #s are on the engine, tranny, and rear end, but not sure where.
If someone could tell me where to locate them that would be cool.
Once I have found them then what?
Can I post them up here along with the vin and let the pros decide?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Oh yeah, if the car is a fake I'm not gonna be too upset. Just means I can do stuff to it, and also drive it without being scared.

Ms Grumpy
09-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Rich, I had been working on getting this done. And since you have a 1970 it made me finish it. Maybe this will help.

http://chevelleforum.org/showthread.php?t=2141

Rharp
09-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks.
That's alot of good info.
I really need to find out if this thing is #s matching. I don't want to tell someone it is only to look stupid when they prove me wrong.

Ms Grumpy
09-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Good Luck. I look forward to hearing that you found out that it is #'s matching.

flash
09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
I hope it turns out to be numbers matching for you.

shadowgray396
09-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Rich, first off you don't say transmission you have for looking for the numbers. An automatic should have a tag on it and a muncie 4 speed it should be on the side of the case. The rear end number is located on the right inside axle tube toward the center. I have seen some on the left also. The running gear is a package so knowing more about the car would help. Here's where to look on the motor

Rharp
09-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Rich, first off you don't say transmission you have for looking for the numbers. An automatic should have a tag on it and a muncie 4 speed it should be on the side of the case. The rear end number is located on the right inside axle tube toward the center. I have seen some on the left also. The running gear is a package so knowing more about the car would help. Here's where to look on the motor

Ray, Thanks for taking the time to reply.
It is a muncie 4 speed. I hope to find all the #s tonight. After I do should I post them up, along with the vin? Is that how you match them?
Also would a pic of the build sheet help?

Ms Grumpy
09-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Rich, the more info the better.

grandsport
09-07-2011, 08:10 PM
What does matching numbers mean?:p

Rharp
09-08-2011, 09:40 AM
What does matching numbers mean?:p

HAHA

To me it means I would have a car that I probably wouldn't want to drive.
In a way I almost hope it's not #s matching, then I could do what ever I want to it.
All I really care about is if and when the day comes that I choose to sell
I don't screw the buyer by giving false imformation.
If it turns out to be a fake then I probably paid a little more than what it's worth. Oh well no big deal, it's still the car I've wanted for ever, and it looks bad a$$ in my garage and driving down the street.Bowtie smiley

Ms Grumpy
09-08-2011, 10:12 AM
HAHA

To me it means I would have a car that I probably wouldn't want to drive.
In a way I almost hope it's not #s matching, then I could do what ever I want to it.
All I really care about is if and when the day comes that I choose to sell
I don't screw the buyer by giving false imformation.
If it turns out to be a fake then I probably paid a little more than what it's worth. Oh well no big deal, it's still the car I've wanted for ever, and it looks bad a$$ in my garage and driving down the street.Bowtie smiley

I agree ! That all that matters !!