PDA

View Full Version : Pertronix

shadowgray396
09-02-2011, 12:15 AM
I put a Pertronic unit inside my distributor and it has a resistor I need to mount some where. Wheres the best place to mount it?. I would like to hid it some place on the car. Since the Pertronix unit is 12 volts and the coil is only 6 is why I need the resistor. It's just sitting next to the coil right now. trying to keep the original look.

grandsport
09-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I have it in my car,never saw the resistor.The only thing I had to hide was a ground wire?

Hank70SS
09-03-2011, 07:50 AM
I thought the Pertronix was ready to go using the stock wiring. Since the stock wiring has a resistance wire feeding the coil you shouldn't need a ballast resister as well.

shadowgray396
09-03-2011, 09:16 AM
I will check that, since we ran it on a test stand, we needed it to for that application to run the coil. I put a new wiring harness in the car and ordered it with the extra wire for the Pertronix, so I should have the resister on the new wiring set up. I will go take a look.

Thanks

Bowtie-Bri
09-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I've put the Petronix system in my last three Chevelles and never installed the resistor. Cars ran great w/no problems.

flash
09-04-2011, 06:24 PM
My 72 El Camino SS needs one of those someday ,right now it needs the points and condenser changed but it has been at least 25 years since I have changed a set and I dont remember how.That will be a winter project I guess as it needs a little attention.