PDA

View Full Version : Spare tire problem

greenmeanie
08-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Hello all,

I bought a 1970 Chevelle Malibu that did not come with a spare. I've tried many auto salvage places around me and they all pretty much laughed at me when I mention that I need a rim and a complete jack.

Any suggestions?

-Sam

PS. I'm in NJ

fleming23
08-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Are you on a tight budget? What kind of spare are you looking for, Corvette ralley, Magnum-500 SS style?? You can purchase a single spare rim from just about every reproduction part company but they are not exactly cheap. As far as the jack goes, the same can be said but the repro jacks are for display purposes only. I guess you were not clear enough for us to know if you just need these to complete the trunk or if you are looking for functional items. If functional I would go to your local part store and buy a cheap bottle jack and put that in the trunk before I would ever rely on the 1970 era bumper jack.

greenmeanie
08-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Eric,

I'm really just looking for functional. I just need a rim to fit the spare tire and a functional jack.

-Sam

Hank70SS
08-11-2011, 05:08 PM
In that case a 14" or 15" plain rim should be cheap. As Eric said you do not want an original 70 jack or a reproduction. I have the original for my car but would never use it. They can bend the bumper and they're very unstable. A bottle jack or a small aluminum floor jack would work. I picked up a small aluminum floor jack on clearance for around $30. It's enough to lift the tire off the ground and that's all you need.