PDA

View Full Version : fender rub

whitey
07-16-2011, 12:08 PM
I installed a new hotchkis TVS suspension in my chevelle and it lowered my car about 1 inch and now my drivers side rear tire rubs the fender when i go over any whoopties or bumps. Any suggestions? Heard a 66 or 67 - 12 bolt rear end is a little more narrow which would get my tire away from fenders.

68ChevelleSS
07-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Not sure if you measured or not but measure in between your tire and your frame. You might be able to get by with getting a set of wheels with a different backspacing. Be a alot cheaper and easier to find.

Ms Grumpy
07-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Sorry to hear that you are having problems Whitey. We put the Hotchkis 2" springs on and cut about 1" off of the front and I have no problems. I know that we did adjust the tire size, actually I think we went a little bigger on the back and a little smaller on the front. What size tire are you running ?

Berg
07-18-2011, 11:02 AM
2nd on the backspaced wheels, or if they aren't making too much contact you could always trim/roll the quarter panel lip and cut the molding down. I had to do that on a car that had aftermarket quarters because the lip was wider than original. It didn't look any different or affect the strength of the wheel arch at all. After it was all said and done I hit the lip with a wire brush and applied some 3m undercoat out of the spray can from the local parts store. Just make sure you don't plug the weep holes in case any water or dirt gets on the inside

oliver83
08-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Sorry to hear that you are having problems Whitey. We put the Hotchkis 2" springs on and cut about 1" off of the front and I have no problems. I know that we did adjust the tire size, actually I think we went a little bigger on the back and a little smaller on the front. What size tire are you running ?

hi! I have the same problem with Whitey. Can you possibly instruct us on how you do the cutting part? And also, any suggestions where to score great deals on Chevrolet parts (http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cpw/chevrolet-car-parts.html)?