PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

REVEL8R
07-11-2011, 02:02 AM
I'm looking at a 1971 Chevelle to buy everything looks pretty and runs pretty good. Now I'm not an expert on automotive repairs, but I'm not a complete idiot ;) the car is solid but not in excellent condition. The only thing that bothers me is when you start the car (which the car starts great on one turn) it makes a squeaking sound for like 2-3 seconds and then when you push on the gas it squeaks the first 2-3 times and then it goes away. Could that be a belt or pulley or barring? or is there something more hidden here? Here is short video of the car if you could listen for the squeak and give me some feedback it would be much helpful, also if you notice any other major flaw let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiuYs7SoXhU&feature=player_embedded

Hank70SS
07-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Hard to hear but does sound like a belt. Have you checked the belt tension? You don't want to over tighten them, especially the alternator belt. Push on the longest section of the belt. It should deflect about 1/2 inch or so with moderate pressure. You shouldn't see any belts 'flapping' with engine running. You could also try a little spray on belt dressing, to see if it is a belt.

I noticed the video of a 95 Fleetwood Bounder, is that yours? We bought a 95 Bounder, 31', last year.

shadowgray396
07-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Another think that could make a belt squeak is if the alternator or a water pump bearing is going out and it makes the belt work to hard to turn them. Still a minor fix. Some reason I can't seem to get sound on the video.

flash
07-12-2011, 08:51 PM
It definitely sounded like a belt squeeling to me ,minor problem. It runs good and looks very nice .What part of the country are you from ? I thought I saw palm trees so I know it aint Georgia . Also welcome to Chevelleforum.