PDA

View Full Version : Trunk coating

ArmyScout
07-10-2011, 01:16 PM
In certain cars trunk carpeting adds elegance and class but where my car is going I dont see it that way. The trunk pan has a few pin holes in it that are small enough where I can just patch them with something rather than getting a whole new pan in to save both time and money. So with that being said I am thinking about going over the metal with a grinder or buy a rust remover to remove some of the decay and then rhino line it rather than put carpet in. Has anyone done this before and does anyone suggest one rust remover over another?
I too am thinking about doing it to the interior before I lay the heat shield down since the whole interior is in process of being removed now that a complete wiring harness is going in. Any input would be helpful. ArmyScout

68ChevelleSS
07-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I didn't have any rust to remove but I rhino lined my 72s trunk. Came out looking great and hides any small perfections that might be there because it goes on so thick.

ArmyScout
07-12-2011, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the input. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a half cocked idea that I had. I'm most likely going to do it to the engine compartment too just so it has a nice even look and the matte black will be a nice contrast against the chrome.

68ChevelleSS
07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Send pics when you get it done. I'd like to see how it looks in the engine bay

ArmyScout
07-13-2011, 04:56 AM
Will do. My Brother in law did it to his bronco and it looks great which is where I got the idea from to begin with although the motivation behind his was to make it easier to get the mud from under the hood. Cant say mine will be seeing mud anytime in its life but I will post pics when its done.

earthquake68
08-23-2011, 09:28 PM
I would suggest POR15 over rhino liner. I especially wouldn't do it under the hood. I can't imagine any way to do it that it wouldn't look like you were trying to hide something.

...just my opinion.

Ms Grumpy
08-23-2011, 09:38 PM
We have the splatter paint in the trunk, which I think is correct for '71 & '72. Even if it wasn't I like it better than carpet in the trunk. Just my thoughts.